Escapist Podcast: 053: Ouya Kickstarter and Michael Fassbender

The Escapist Staff

New member
Jul 10, 2006
6,151
0
0
053: Ouya Kickstarter and Michael Fassbender

This week, this talks about movies, egg slicers and super hero films.

Watch Video
 
Mar 20, 2010
239
0
0
I was very suprised to hear Susan telling not to ask more from superhero movies. I mean I get it. We are seeing the greatest Comic Book movies ever made right now, but still. Are we wrong to ask for more sophisticated movies?
 

smashleigh

New member
Aug 6, 2011
8
0
0
The last 3 dress shirts I bought were french cuffs i.e. requiring cufflinks, although it is very much a personal choice.
 

BeastofShadow

New member
Jun 29, 2009
174
0
0
Draken the Ancient Gate was a good game but it had more than one game breaker unfortunately. Every now and again my copy decided to just wipe my saves. :(
 

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
2,821
0
0
I wanted to hear more about tape, tape stories and improper applications of expensive tape...

What? I was entertained.
 

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
8,365
0
0
Michigan looks like a mitten. And we know from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia that kittens love mittens [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fP4emqw7O4]. Therefore Michigan is the cat capital of the world. That's why it makes sense for it to host a cat film festival.
 

Seamus8

New member
Mar 26, 2008
152
0
0
Having Batman be about something would go over much better with me if both Frank Miller and Christopher Nolan weren't just downright evil people in their personal lives. Either one of them could qualify as villains in the marvel universe if their attitudes were placed into super-humans.
 

zorrandur

New member
Mar 8, 2010
121
0
0
Thank you Escapist podcast team for making me laugh RIGHT in the middle of cutting out price tags for work.... (reprints tags).... no seriously the wedding bits and the whoopi goldberg thing had me rolling.
 

newdarkcloud

New member
Aug 2, 2010
452
0
0
Cheers to you for mentioning Drakan: The Ancient's Gates. It's one of earliest PS2 games. Slightly flawed, but overall good. I understand what you mean when you say you don't want to go back and finish it. It took me a few years to get around to doing that. Still, it's a decent game.
 

Coreless

New member
Aug 19, 2011
298
0
0
Long quote of the day....

Susan: "Guys your being....eh ...we should be happy that they are even making super hero movies!". "We should be happy that they are willing to spend millions of dollars on super hero movies". "These are characters that we have cherished and loved and they are doing it well". "Their trying to do the combined universe of the Avengers so that we have this build up of Thor...and Iron Man...and Captain America..and finally they all come together to become the Avengers and its all GOOD!". "Its really well done and because they actually give a damn about making the characters true to their sources and making them actually representative of their comics...and they are treating them with respect....THAT'S HUGE!. And we are bitching that they have to fight the bad guy at the end...Really?!?

Seriously..../round of applause...thank you! for keeping it all in perspective. I was yelling the same thing at my computer through that whole segment and I'm glad someone said it lol.

You guys really do have some of the most entertaining podcasts out there and really it's these long conversations that I look forward to hearing each week, but you guys have to turn your brains off for movies sometimes...and enjoy them for what they are...pure, fun entertainment. With so much over analyzing everything can be broken down into "meh" but if you look at the big picture its amazing that people went as far as they have with the whole super hero genre and made it work.
 

wizzy555

New member
Oct 14, 2010
637
0
0
Coreless said:
Long quote of the day....

Susan: "Guys your being....eh ...we should be happy that they are even making super hero movies!". "We should be happy that they are willing to spend millions of dollars on super hero movies". "These are characters that we have cherished and loved and they are doing it well". "Their trying to do the combined universe of the Avengers so that we have this build up of Thor...and Iron Man...and Captain America..and finally they all come together to become the Avengers and its all GOOD!". "Its really well done and because they actually give a damn about making the characters true to their sources and making them actually representative of their comics...and they are treating them with respect....THAT'S HUGE!. And we are bitching that they have to fight the bad guy at the end...Really?!?

Seriously..../round of applause...thank you! for keeping it all in perspective. I was yelling the same thing at my computer through that whole segment and I'm glad someone said it lol.

You guys really do have some of the most entertaining podcasts out there and really it's these long conversations that I look forward to hearing each week, but you guys have to turn your brains off for movies sometimes...and enjoy them for what they are...pure, fun entertainment. With so much over analyzing everything can be broken down into "meh" but if you look at the big picture its amazing that people went as far as they have with the whole super hero genre and made it work.
Yes I agree. One day when comic heroes are out of fashion we will be looking back at this decade and missing it, kicking ourselves for bitching.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Thrashgrinder said:
I was very suprised to hear Susan telling not to ask more from superhero movies. I mean I get it. We are seeing the greatest Comic Book movies ever made right now, but still. Are we wrong to ask for more sophisticated movies?
Wrong, no, but it seems like there isn't appreciation for what we've been given before we're turning around and saying "Yeah, that's swell...but you should've done better." Superheroes are defined by their relationship with villains...to have a superhero movie that doesn't end with a confrontation with the bad guy seems mildly absurd. Can they be more than just popcorn movies? Well, sure, I think Christopher Nolan proved that pretty well. But to criticize superhero movies for giving people what they want - which is to say having the good guy go toe-to-toe with the bad guy and win - seems unfair.

I'm looking at this from a place of practicality. These movies are expensive, and need to recoup a lot of cash in order for studios to continue considering them sound investments. In order to increase the ticket sales, there needs to be a satisfying climax to the story arc. People who are more well-versed in comics will undoubtedly consider more subtle things "satisfying" than the general audience, but there's really nothing wrong with a well-done fight in the third act.

If you were never a fan of superhero movies, or didn't have to suffer the previous attempts at superhero movies (the 80s were a bad, bad time), then I understand not being more appreciative of the simple fact that we have truly well-done films starring people in capes and cowls. If you're just looking at these as movies, not superhero movies, then yes, I understand the inclination to think they could be a bit deeper. I'm frankly just thrilled that someone with talent and a big budget is treating comic books with appropriate respect.
 

MANIFESTER

New member
Sep 14, 2009
64
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
Wrong, no, but it seems like there isn't appreciation for what we've been given before we're turning around and saying "Yeah, that's swell...but you should've done better." Superheroes are defined by their relationship with villains...to have a superhero movie that doesn't end with a confrontation with the bad guy seems mildly absurd. Can they be more than just popcorn movies? Well, sure, I think Christopher Nolan proved that pretty well. But to criticize superhero movies for giving people what they want - which is to say having the good guy go toe-to-toe with the bad guy and win - seems unfair.

I'm looking at this from a place of practicality. These movies are expensive, and need to recoup a lot of cash in order for studios to continue considering them sound investments. In order to increase the ticket sales, there needs to be a satisfying climax to the story arc. People who are more well-versed in comics will undoubtedly consider more subtle things "satisfying" than the general audience, but there's really nothing wrong with a well-done fight in the third act.

If you were never a fan of superhero movies, or didn't have to suffer the previous attempts at superhero movies (the 80s were a bad, bad time), then I understand not being more appreciative of the simple fact that we have truly well-done films starring people in capes and cowls. If you're just looking at these as movies, not superhero movies, then yes, I understand the inclination to think they could be a bit deeper. I'm frankly just thrilled that someone with talent and a big budget is treating comic books with appropriate respect.
I completely agree with you that we are so lucky that we are in a time where millions upon millions of dollars can be spent upon comic book movies. But I know they can make comic book movies that can go away from the traditional format. There aren't many examples that exist of this being true (Watchmen and Sin City being the only ones that comes to mind). But, on the whole, I think that they are just being held back by the perception that Superheroes are meant for kids. Sure the perception is slowly being changed (in part thanks to Christopher Nolan), but until we get that superhero movie that wins the Oscar for Best Picture then I do not think Hollywood will be willing to go away from the traditional hero movie structure. Of course, that doesn't mean we cannot take them seriously, or support movies that try to move the genre in that direction.

Though curiously, the only people that I know that complain about not having "deep" comic book movies are those that were previously into comics. Which may just be another form of the "Hardcore gamer hating the casual gamer" syndrome.

Out of curiosity, is there a particular Superhero, story line, or villain that you or the rest of the escapist staff would like to see make it to the big screen?
 

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
2,315
0
0
MANIFESTER said:
Out of curiosity, is there a particular Superhero, story line, or villain that you or the rest of the escapist staff would like to see make it to the big screen?
Matter-Eater Lad?

Also, the Avengers civil war stuff seems really interesting, problems with translating that screen at present withstanding.
 

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
2,315
0
0
wizzy555 said:
Coreless said:
Long quote of the day....

Susan: "Guys your being....eh ...we should be happy that they are even making super hero movies!". "We should be happy that they are willing to spend millions of dollars on super hero movies". "These are characters that we have cherished and loved and they are doing it well". "Their trying to do the combined universe of the Avengers so that we have this build up of Thor...and Iron Man...and Captain America..and finally they all come together to become the Avengers and its all GOOD!". "Its really well done and because they actually give a damn about making the characters true to their sources and making them actually representative of their comics...and they are treating them with respect....THAT'S HUGE!. And we are bitching that they have to fight the bad guy at the end...Really?!?

Seriously..../round of applause...thank you! for keeping it all in perspective. I was yelling the same thing at my computer through that whole segment and I'm glad someone said it lol.

You guys really do have some of the most entertaining podcasts out there and really it's these long conversations that I look forward to hearing each week, but you guys have to turn your brains off for movies sometimes...and enjoy them for what they are...pure, fun entertainment. With so much over analyzing everything can be broken down into "meh" but if you look at the big picture its amazing that people went as far as they have with the whole super hero genre and made it work.
Yes I agree. One day when comic heroes are out of fashion we will be looking back at this decade and missing it, kicking ourselves for bitching.
I suppose that, for me, this just isn't enough. It's the same reason I feel comfortable hating Indiana Jones 4. I love Indiana Jones; he's one of my favorite characters of all time, but I'm certainly not thankful that Lucas & Co. invested in bringing him back to the big screen. Why? Because they did a terrible job of it. I won't compare even the worst superhero flick I've ever seen to the unspeakable horror that was IJ4, but it's the same idea. Now, if you like the way they currently make hero films, and enjoy their build to an inevitable climatic clash ... groovy! And I don't think you have terrible taste or are some kind of knucklehead because of it. You, like zillions of movie-goers are all on the same page. But if I personally don't like that aspect, I'm not sure why I should feel obligated not to mention it simply because someone in Hollywood greenlit the production.

I also don't like the idea that having issue with a solitary component of any movie (superhero or otherwise) is somehow snobby or elitist, or that finding a repetitive narrative idea dull is only because I'm "unwilling to enjoy it." It's possible to really like films like this (and I do) while still taking issue with some of their components - movies, like games, don't always have to be graded on a binary system. How many games have you played that you loved, that weren't 10/10? This is really no different, and no one is sneering. It's a movie. It doesn't matter what genre it is. There are things that work for some people that don't work for others. Same goes for drama, comedy, indie, foreign, action, and everything in between. As far as my taste goes, superhero movies get no bonus points or subtractions just for being superhero movies.
 

Zing

New member
Oct 22, 2009
2,069
0
0
Okay, why don't you guys even mention that Ouya want to put the same AAA games that are on 360/PS3 on the Ouya? The whole discussion seems to revolve around the fact that they are only making it so people can play Android games on the TV..which isn't true.

Also Michael Fassbender was never nominated for an Oscar(and Waltz, in fact, won an Oscar), and you missed a great opportunity to talk about Fassbender's involvement in the AC movie!
 

AstylahAthrys

New member
Apr 7, 2010
1,317
0
0
*puts on hipster glasses* I've been in love with The Fass since before he was cool. Though only for about 6 months. I blame X-Men for that. And he wasn't nominated for an Oscar, just a Golden Globe, for Shame. He deserved that nom, though! His penis most likely scared the committee. Nom... penis. Oh lord I've let my brain get into that territory again. I am so sorry, Escapist, but this wouldn't happen if Michael Fassbender would stop being... everywhere.

Heh, after I typed in "penis" it asked me for a Captcha. I swear, I'm not spamming enlargement pills, system.