Escapist Podcast: 067: Disney Acquires Lucasfilms

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
067: Disney Acquires Lucasfilms

This week, well let's face it there's no getting away from this topic.

Watch Video

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Goddamnit!
Now I want oreos!
... And I JUST got back from the store ...

Curse you Susan!! You will rue the day you made me crave Oreos!
*Shakes fist*

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Black Licorice - nasty

Sambuca - Amazing

black jelly beans/jube jubes - Amazing

I seem to like everything that tastes like black licorice except black licorice.

... I'm gonna get some sambuca now.

Chocolate covered espresso beans are also amazing.

I'll disagree with Susan that the feeling of 'time slowing down' is unachievable to anyone but a select few. Flow can be attained by most people but it's just really hard to do. A similar situation is when an artist gets into a mindset where their body seems to melt away and they create their art almost effortlessly.

In case anyone is interested with the subject, this is a good starting point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29

Interesting section:

Gaming

Flow is one of the fundamental reasons that people play video games. This is especially true since the primary goal of games is to create entertainment through intrinsic motivation. The use of flow in games helps foster an enjoyable experience which increases motivation and draws players to continue playing. Game designers, in particular, benefit from integration of flow principles into game design. Games facilitate flow as either an individual or group activity.

Flow in games has been linked to the Laws of Learning as part of the explanation for why learning games (the use of games to introduce material, improve understanding, or increase retention) have the potential to be effective. In particular, flow is intrinsically motivating, which is part of the Law of Readiness. The condition of feedback, required for flow, is associated with the feedback aspects of the Law of Exercise. The positive emotions associated with flow are associated with the Law of Effect. The intense experiences of being in a state of flow are directly associated with the Law of Intensity.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
- What is it you guys were saying as the alternative for sprinkles? "Jimmies"? Never even heard of them.

- The directors of both Empire and Return of the Jedi are in no condition to do any directing, unfortunately. Ive heard a lot of people saying Joss Whedon (with the Marvel Studios connection), but while I love his stuff I dont think his style would be a good fit. Brad Bird could be interesting.

I absolutely agree with the idea of staying away from all the Jedi stuff. Its possible that they might actually go that way - theres precedent, with the 1313 game in production at the moment, so obviously someone involved with Star Wars wants to see some more gritty non-jedi-focused stuff.

- Am I the only one that connected Justin's daughter's sticky hands and the licking thing with the earlier talk that his wife has a huge sweet tooth? Have you considered that there was no need for any hand cleaning at all, and it was just an excuse? :p "Oh, all that chocolate... yeah... somebody will have to clean that off... into their mouth..."

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Caffiene said:
- What is it you guys were saying as the alternative for sprinkles? "Jimmies"? Never even heard of them.

- The directors of both Empire and Return of the Jedi are in no condition to do any directing, unfortunately. Ive heard a lot of people saying Joss Whedon (with the Marvel Studios connection), but while I love his stuff I dont think his style would be a good fit. Brad Bird could be interesting.

I absolutely agree with the idea of staying away from all the Jedi stuff. Its possible that they might actually go that way - theres precedent, with the 1313 game in production at the moment, so obviously someone involved with Star Wars wants to see some more gritty non-jedi-focused stuff.

- Am I the only one that connected Justin's daughter's sticky hands and the licking thing with the earlier talk that his wife has a huge sweet tooth? Have you considered that there was no need for any hand cleaning at all, and it was just an excuse? :p "Oh, all that chocolate... yeah... somebody will have to clean that off... into their mouth..."
I'm really wondering if jimmies is a Pennsylvania thing. Perhaps it was a local brand at one point? Now I must know...

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
When you first mentioned "Jimmies" I thought you were talking about that meme with the gorilla. We call them sprinkles in colorado.

Cookie packaging- Don't you people own cookie jars?
[hr]I used to eat the center of the reeces cup, but for some reason the chocolate seems to be softer now, I wonder if they changed anything. Or maybe it's GLOBAL WARMING! :Þ
[hr]ROTJ & Generations- I'm sorry, but I like things too.

...On the subject of ROTJ, I heard Leia was only made to be Luke's sister because of they wanted another big shocker like they did in Empire.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
On vegetables losing nutrients by cooking. Some of the nutrients can't be digested without breaking down the cell walls with heat and salt. Pretty sure Alton Brown said that on an episode of good eats.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Caffiene said:

I'm really wondering if jimmies is a Pennsylvania thing. Perhaps it was a local brand at one point? Now I must know...
I have heard them called jimmies before now, and I am from the Midwest.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Caffiene said:

According to the wiki, it's a mystery!

Names

The origin of the name "jimmies" is unknown. It is first documented in 1930, as a topping for cake and although this may in fact be an error, the term "jimmies" became a popular name for sprinkles.

Though the Just Born Candy Company claims to have invented jimmies and named them after an employee, this is unlikely. The rumor that the name somehow refers to Jim Crow is also likely false.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmies

edit:

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Susan Arendt said:
Caffiene said:

No. I have heard "people" call them jimmies before. (I put people in "" because they were cartoon characters.)

My guess is that sprinkles is just the more popular name for them.
But jimmies is more fun to say.

Also, I know it's a bit late, but

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Hey Susan..... Go to the store, buy some peanuts and then buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Chocolate-Making-Dipping-Double/dp/B001NE44E0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351922707&sr=8-1&keywords=ghirardelli+dipping+chocolate

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
I wouldnt worry about it too much, Im one of those crazy Aussies :p We dont have Soda or Pop, either.

I also saw your tweet about 100s & 1000s. Thats another common name here in Aus except its generally applied mostly to only the mixed rainbow coloured ones, and the most common version of 100s and 1000s are actually tiny ball shaped bits instead of little bars (like... tiny. What youd get if you took sprinkles/jimmies and cut them up so that they were only as long as they are wide)

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Caffiene said:

http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/jimmies.asp seemed interesting, although doesn't really reach any conclusions on the matter.

I'm impressed you don't say 'wooder', though, Susan--was that something you consciously changed, or were you just not a true Philadelphian in your (mis)pronunciation? Also, while "water ice" makes no sense, "italian ice" still sounds too weird for me to ever voluntarily use.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
bravetoaster said:
Susan Arendt said:
Caffiene said:

http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/jimmies.asp seemed interesting, although doesn't really reach any conclusions on the matter.

I'm impressed you don't say 'wooder', though, Susan--was that something you consciously changed, or were you just not a true Philadelphian in your (mis)pronunciation? Also, while "water ice" makes no sense, "italian ice" still sounds too weird for me to ever voluntarily use.
Ah, no, you must be from further in towards Philly proper to say "wooder." That's also where you get "iggle" (the football team) and "beggle" (the breakfast pastry.)

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
My one comment: Star Wars is not Sci-Fi. And Jedi are totally super heroes.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
I have been wanting to see a blaster jedi....well, blaster force user. The classic conflict of sword vs gun is that a skilled swordsman may be able to beat an unskilled gunman, but a skilled gunman will just wreck any swordsman. Kenobi describes a blaster as crude and random, but what about a really nice blaster with a skilled, force-wielding user. In the offhand, the character could have a smaller lightsaber that is purely for defense. Maybe dual wield blasters that have really small lightsaber bayonets, though that thought seems kind of silly. Point being, force wielder athletics and mobility, but with a blaster(s). With some manner of defense when someone gets a bit to close with their own lightsaber, a quick parry can all you need. But major point being to not let them get that close.

Questionable fanfic ideas aside........lets see the epic of Yoda in his prime. Though of course, making sure to conveniently continue to hide the name of his race. Someone starts to say it and a large ship thunders by. At least as far as I know it's still a purposely unknown name.

Also, I just noticed that corgy gif thumbnail, that is great.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ok, so! It would seem that "jimmies" is a Northeastern US thing. "Sprinkles" seems to be the term pretty much everywhere else, though "hundreds and thousands" is common in the UK.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
was actually opening a large package of sweet tarts left over from the Halloween stash. when the word sweet tart was said. Sugar free is vial shit.

you do realize that at 16 minutes it is no longer a sound test, and is just content, right?

Sussan I should not need instructions to eat candy.

Sussan Stop the hate on George/Special edition. it is his thing.

Anikan died the day that he became Darth Vader

the large thing that happened after Return of the Jedi was the whole thing with the Vonge, but if you think that Medicloriens were bad then the Vonge with regard to the force will make you the angriest geek on the face of the planet.

in order to beat the things with the force because they are "immune" we need to think about the force differently.
this is presuming that they do not interject a different post RTJ timeline, but realistically like Bob said <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5357-The-Phantom-Menace-13-Years-Later>here, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5525-Mutants-and-Masses> and here there is literally nothing that could make the Star Wars Fan base at large happy (granted in the second one he wasn't directly talking about Star Wars, but it really isn't that much of a leap) the prequils happened, they are part of the cannon, they shall forever be part of the original cannon, and by complaining about the fact that they exist you are doing nothing more then acting childish.

maybe the Escapist should start a Tumbler for animal pics. Thoughts?

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Over here in the UK, those things you have sprinkled on cakes and similar are called Hundreds & Thousands.

We have them on icecreams as well.