Escapist Podcast: 076: Dead Island's Bloody Torso and Our 2013 Gaming Picks

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
076: Dead Island's Bloody Torso and Our 2013 Gaming Picks

This week, we discuss food (obviously), Burmese pythons, Deep Silver and its uniquely designed zombie torso, our ideas for a Fallout inspired TV show and the games we're looking forward to the most in 2013.

Watch Video

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
17 minutes in, and not a mention of video games. This is going to be a good one.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
bdcjacko said:
17 minutes in, and not a mention of video games. This is going to be a good one.
I was worried that last weeks was a fake.

Actually I gotta pitch in with fish and chips, bring British and currently stuffed on them.

Yay! Another of my inane questions answered! :D

Susan got a promotion?

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
And it's the 19th.

Here's the smoother remix of the podcast.

https://soundcloud.com/airon-extv/escapist-podcast-20130118-076

Mmmh. Wonder what the yucky torso thing does to the podcast.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Alligators generally have around 2,000lb of force in their bite, Crocodiles closer to 4-5,000. Also, fun fact: Crocodiles whose name start with a C have a mouth more shaped like an A. Alligators whose names start with A have a mouth more shaped like a C.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
SimCity 4 was the last true SimCity, not SimCity 2000. I need SimCity 5. SimCity is the greatest of all video games.

Also SimAnt is the fucking balls.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Chrono212 said:
bdcjacko said:

Actually I gotta pitch in with fish and chips, bring British and currently stuffed on them.

Susan got a promotion?
Back in September, yes. I was "Executive Editor," which is just another way of saying "Editor in Chief," but nobody seemed to know that, so we made it "Editor in Chief". *shrug* Same job, new name. :)

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Chrono212 said:
bdcjacko said:

Susan got a promotion?
Back in September, yes. I was "Executive Editor," which is just another way of saying "Editor in Chief," but nobody seemed to know that, so we made it "Editor in Chief". *shrug* Same job, new name. :)
Ooooooh, because I thought it was like that.
Editor in Chief is much cooler sounding, in my humble opinion.

I'm glad you guys liked the 2013 Best Before thing. :D
It was something I heard on a BBC Radio 4 comedy show. Always good for comedy.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
My problem with the disembodied titties was it just seemed immature and made gamers look like fucked up sexual deviants. It was just a bloody pair of tits.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Ladies and gentlemen of potential astronaut Escapist crew
you could run on "I'm going to @#$%^&* Mars!!!" hype for month, maybe a two
After 4 months you would would tear your own face off
And if someone would say that it only 4 months to go, you would rip this person's throat too.

This is one thing I never told to anyone and since I'm mostly anonymous here I can tell this thing about myself
So could you please don't laugh because it is kinda personal?
Since I was 8 I wanted to go to Mars
As anyone I guess, but I didn't stopped there
At 10 I found out that NASA is planning manned mission to Mars in ~2015
I made a conscious decision that I can do it
(I would be of perfect age at that time, young enough to withstand the trip and old enough to have scientific education and some experience in the field)
Physical condition, mentality, knowledge, all the necessary stuff
I did quite well for a while, physical condition was slightly dragging along (never was a big runner)
Then when I was 16 NASA moved their manned Mars mission decade forward
I would be too old for it
I remember that day- I sat and cried (I rarely cry)
When you're running on "I can do it" mentality for a several years and reality throws back "It doesn't matter" it is hard blow

Basically what I'm saying is that such long trip requires specific mentality to remain sane
"I don't need people, but I want them around" type mentality
And at it's true form it is extremely rare

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Wait, wait, wait.
Hold on.
Wait.
Hold on, rewind.

...Janelle is excited about things?

(But seriously...)
On the subject of Fallout TV, the "city seasons" thing sounded pretty awesome as an idea, but Im not sure if it would be my favourite approach for Fallout specifically. I imagine more of a travelling show that moves from place to place throughout the season, because I think thats a big part of the vibe of Fallout.

I think you need to be able to have times where the characters are way out in the desert/wastelands, or trapped in a crazy bio-dome Vault with killer plants, etc, for an episode or two on end without even seeing the city, or even episodes travelling from place to place on a lonely road through the hills where they can be ambushed by raiders or supermutants (or Deathclaws, except lets face it that would be the end of the season). There are too many parts of Fallout that are, and should be, their own self-contained "thing". I dont know that you can fit all of that into a season at the same time as telling "the story of the city", even if you got greenlit for a big 23 episode run.

Which actually leads me to another interesting and important question (maybe for future podcat discussion?): Fallout the TV Series - UK series or big US season? Or maybe even a curveball from one of the Canadian sci-fi production houses?
Personally I think Fallout just has to be quintessentially american... But on the other hand, can you imagine what the Brits might do with it if they were given a chance?

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
You know, I want a miniature (or actual size, but beggars can't be choosers) version of Janelle. She just seems like a really fun person to have around lol.

On the topic of the Dead Island fiasco: I think I'm actually one of the few people who not only didn't rage at it, but also sorta liked it. I am a bit of one of those horror memorabilia junkies that you mentioned, so it definitely makes my interest in it more reasonable. Kinda funny though that the item everyone is upset over is almost making me want to get that version even though I've never played or expressed interest in playing Dead Island

Doubler

Mar 29, 2011
Afterlife is actually by LucasArts, believe it or not. That game had awesome atmosphere and humour, but I always felt it was a micromanagement nightmare. Real love/hate relationship with that game :p

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
This was a good one, I was equal parts amused and disturbed when Janelle was talking about how she would have done the statue though. I wonder if there is much of a market for a similar statue packing a pair of super tight, junk filled, Union Jack swim trunks?

As far as regional foods go, like Chrono said we have Fish & Chips in Britannia. Going even more regional, here in Lancashire we also have a dish called 'Lancashire Hotpot'. Its pretty much the ultimate warming comfort food, takes forever to cook though.

Somewhat relevant:

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Just throwing this out there. I would like to hear a podcat with Susan, Janelle, and um...what is her name, the lady that was on the Hobbitcast. We have had all dude Podcats, what about an all chick podcat?

thewanderer41

Jun 20, 2012
bdcjacko said:
Just throwing this out there. I would like to hear a podcat with Susan, Janelle, and um...what is her name, the lady that was on the Hobbitcast. We have had all dude Podcats, what about an all chick podcat?
Did you sense it too? It seemed like Susan and Janelle were having girl-moments. It was really cute ^_^

I also found a place to get Afterlife after a quick Google search. Limited distribution though :p

Also, was there no Baldur's Gate reference?

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
thewanderer41 said:
bdcjacko said:
Did you sense it too? It seemed like Susan and Janelle were having girl-moments. It was really cute ^_^

I also found a place to get Afterlife after a quick Google search. Limited distribution though :p

Also, was there no Baldur's Gate reference?
Justin wasn't there, so no Baldur's Gate. Though oddly enough Mike wasn't there and there were still million dollar ideas a bound.

Shadey[64]

Nov 20, 2009
Long time listener but barely post, felt my opinion would be valid on this one though.

The statuette is an in-game item used for gameplay reasons, it's a human(not zombie) corpse used to lure infected to specific areas. Also the game being set on a tropical holiday island makes the attire seem fitting to me.
As for it having an appealing figure, I took that as the whole thing being a play on jail-bait. (Zom-bait)
It's not overly mature, I don't feel it deserved the amount of community backlash it received though.

Great podcast, thanks for the laughs.
On that topic huge fan of Janelle and her giggles.