Escapist Podcast: 079: JJ Abrams (Again) And Game-Related Anger

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
A few interesting ideas about TWD thing

This like many of the moral choices is meant to be juxtaposed with other things in the episode. In this case how this decision was like those that were being done in the compound you infiltrated. They would kick out anyone who was dead weight, so it was meant to make you think "Am I being like them, those people so reviled" by doing the same thing.

Now don't get me wrong I did the same thing, I hated Ben and was glad to see him gone. Kid may have had "good intentions" but if he still can't take care of himself 'bout half a year into a zombie apocalypse then maybe it's for the best that he leaves.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
Ophiuchus said:
DrRockor said:
listening to you guys talk about candy or as we say in the UK sweets, is weird because I have no idea what you were talking about till you discussed smarties for 2 minutes
FYI: I'm pretty sure they're not talking about what you think they're talking about. You know Refreshers? The fizzy chalky tablet things? Smarties in America are pretty much like that.
really? Ok, I don't know what they were talking about for the whole thing then

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
Yeah the reason why I saved that guy in Walking Dead is because I know that if I was around during the zombie apocalypse I would soooooo be that guy. I feel like that's what a lot of zombie fans forget about the apocalypse is that in the apocalypse you will either die when the majority of the population dies or you'll be completely useless in the post apocalyptic world and then die.

Also about the gamer anger thing. The reason why I do not play Call of Duty games any more (aside from them just being bad games) is that I would get so angry when playing the games it was almost unhealthy. I broke two controllers by throwing them at the ground in rage and I would just scream expletives when playing. Because of that I always try to keep my cool playing games now and for the most part I've succeeded but yeah it can get pretty crazy.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Okay, I agree that if you were to(From what I have heard this is what it sounds like anyway. Never played the game at all.) play Dark Souls without it being hard, that it would "go against the game's spirit", and what not. I think It could be somewhat comparable to playing Journey (a game I have played) only you had the other person's gamer tag above their head, and you could talk to them. It wouldn't really be the same.

That all said, I do have one question about Dark Souls.

Are there any other reasons to play Dark Souls that are worth it if the game wasn't on "hard mode"?

I mean the way I hear people talking about it, it sounds like if the game wasn't hard nobody would bother to be playing it, and that doesn't sound right to me. Because I have heard about some other good things in the game/games.

Without ever playing them or even seening a lets play, I do know that the game looks pretty cool, and a bit unique from other similar games. I also have heard about some neat characters, boss creatures, and interesting locations. I also hear the story is pretty good too.

So, are all/any of these or other things I didn't mention good enough to make the game worth playing if I don't want to play for the difficulty? Or should I just continue to all but ignore the games?

I know that if I were to play the game on "easy mode" that it wouldn't be the same, but since it is an option and you don't have to play on easy. Isn't it better to have the option be there for people who want it, instead of just having the options be "play it this way, or don't play it"?

Anyway, great Podcat today! Sorry for the long post.
As for a title. Since this is the Podcat, does anyone want the title of
Calico Queen/King

May you have a good day, and a better weekend!

Fugitive Penguin

Aug 14, 2010
@Susan Arendt: Know that there is at least one other person out there who shares your opinion on the Arrested Development TV show. I sat down to watch the first 3 or 4 episodes recently, because I know it's such a highly lauded show. And while I admit I laughed heartily through the episodes, it was the weird experience where I laughed, but I never felt good about it. It was just as you indicated-- a bunch of horrible people having terrible misfortune, usually brought on by their own horrible-ness.

Also, pertaining to the recent spate of Microsoft product placements in media, the second half of season 6 of Burn Notice prominently featured lingering shots on MS tablets and phones. Burn Notice has rarely been subtle about their product placements, though (other hilarious plugs include MGD 64 "lite" beer, DirecTV Sunday Ticket, and Hyundai).

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
I want the return of Tank Ninja!

Captcha Wisdom Teeth, I guess that can work.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Re: Cosplayer question.
Due to falalbility of our memory, we should be able to take video of everything we see (think - cameras in the eyes) therefore in my opinion it is completely fine for anyone to take photos of anything they can SEE.
going around posting that, currently, is illegal (you need the persons written permission to post his picture on the internet), but to remmeber what you saw it is perfectly ok. Noone complains that there are security camers all around, but as soon as somone has a camera with him its a scandal of people being filmed.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
When you started talking about licorice I emidiately thought you had to try Swedish salt licorice, and then I heard you got some from Paradox, instant wish-gratification. Sweet (Well... salty)

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Susan Arendt: Crowd Control Manager
Greg Tito: Conjurer of Dice Accidents
Justin Clouse: Button Mashing Mastermind
Paul Goodman: Rouge Emperor

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I must say that I'm a little surprised by the Crew's stance on difficulty and Dark Souls.. but it's a very pleasant type of surprise. Not that I necessarily think it will convince those who just don't seem to get the argument, but it's still nice none the less.

The cosplay picture taking thing is.. tough. If you are posing for pictures, I think it's a little disingenious to say that the pictures can only be taken from a certain angle (unless you've specifically posed in such a way/location that taking pictures from certain angles would require doing something noteworthy). I'm not really sure how to feel about the candid shots though. It's definitely creepy if they're just random shots of your butt while you're walking around the show floor but, as said in the Cat, if you're at a show in costume there then I can't help but agree that it's likely part of the appeal is getting looked at and having your picture taken. I dunno.

Imp Emissary said:
Okay, I agree that if you were to(From what I have heard this is what it sounds like anyway. Never played the game at all.) play Dark Souls without it being hard, that it would "go against the game's spirit", and what not. I think It could be somewhat comparable to playing Journey (a game I have played) only you had the other person's gamer tag above their head, and you could talk to them. It wouldn't really be the same.

Are there any other reasons to play Dark Souls that are worth it if the game wasn't on "hard mode"?

I mean the way I hear people talking about it, it sounds like if the game wasn't hard nobody would bother to be playing it, and that doesn't sound right to me. Because I have heard about some other good things in the game/games.

Without ever playing them or even seening a lets play, I do know that the game looks pretty cool, and a bit unique from other similar games. I also have heard about some neat characters, boss creatures, and interesting locations. I also hear the story is pretty good too.

So, are all/any of these or other things I didn't mention good enough to make the game worth playing if I don't want to play for the difficulty? Or should I just continue to all but ignore the games?

I know that if I were to play the game on "easy mode" that it wouldn't be the same, but since it is an option and you don't have to play on easy. Isn't it better to have the option be there for people who want it, instead of just having the options be "play it this way, or don't play it"?
The thing about Dark Souls isn't just that it's hard, it's that the challenge of the game is an integral part of the feedback loop for the entire experience. You're not a lagendary hero. You're just one of numerous unknown undead who's basically "lucky" enough to get put on the quest instead of spending enternity going mad in a dungeon cell. The entire world is basically on the far side of the edge of ruin and your own chance of success is basically nil unless you manage to save your own butt and piece together what you can of the strange world you've been thrown into. Take away the challenge, and that all falls apart. It's no longer a struggle with near certain death awaiting you. Piecing together an understanding of the world is much less of a reward. The strange world is no longer a dark and scaru place. Etc. In essence, by lowering the difficulty you are effectively changing the entire experience of Souls from what the developers intended into a poor facsimile of numerous games that already exist on the market.

It's also important to note that adding extra modes, given that they would require more time and effort than just tweaking numbers, would take extra development time and money, already in short supply for a development house like From. Oh, andAdding difficulty modes also totally ignores the fact that there are already numerous organic systems in place within the existing Souls games to that can be used to make the experience an easier (or harder) one if that's what you desire. The issue is that this takes a little bit of study and experience and, from my experience, most of the people who have issue with the difficulty in Souls haven't actually played the game. They're just running off of the fact that they've heard the game is really hard and that the box tells them outright to "prepare to die."

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
StriderShinryu said:
I must say that I'm a little surprised by the Crew's stance on difficulty and Dark Souls.. but it's a very pleasant type of surprise. Not that I necessarily think it will convince those who just don't seem to get the argument, but it's still nice none the less.

The cosplay picture taking thing is.. tough. If you are posing for pictures, I think it's a little disingenious to say that the pictures can only be taken from a certain angle (unless you've specifically posed in such a way/location that taking pictures from certain angles would require doing something noteworthy). I'm not really sure how to feel about the candid shots though. It's definitely creepy if they're just random shots of your butt while you're walking around the show floor but, as said in the Cat, if you're at a show in costume there then I can't help but agree that it's likely part of the appeal is getting looked at and having your picture taken. I dunno.
Imp Emissary said:

The thing about Dark Souls isn't just that it's hard, it's that the challenge of the game is an integral part of the feedback loop for the entire experience. You're not a lagendary hero. You're just one of numerous unknown undead who's basically "lucky" enough to get put on the quest instead of spending enternity going mad in a dungeon cell. The entire world is basically on the far side of the edge of ruin and your own chance of success is basically nil unless you manage to save your own butt and piece together what you can of the strange world you've been thrown into. Take away the challenge, and that all falls apart. It's no longer a struggle with near certain death awaiting you. Piecing together an understanding of the world is much less of a reward. The strange world is no longer a dark and scaru place. Etc. In essence, by lowering the difficulty you are effectively changing the entire experience of Souls from what the developers intended into a poor facsimile of numerous games that already exist on the market.

It's also important to note that adding extra modes, given that they would require more time and effort than just tweaking numbers, would take extra development time and money, already in short supply for a development house like From. Oh, andAdding difficulty modes also totally ignores the fact that there are already numerous organic systems in place within the existing Souls games to that can be used to make the experience an easier (or harder) one if that's what you desire. The issue is that this takes a little bit of study and experience and, from my experience, most of the people who have issue with the difficulty in Souls haven't actually played the game. They're just running off of the fact that they've heard the game is really hard and that the box tells them outright to "prepare to die."
However, you didn't really answer my question. I understand that Dark Soul's "difficulty" comes from the challenge of its game design. Again I have not played the game, so I can't really comment on HOW you could change the game to lower the challenge in a way that doesn't "wrecking the game". That said, I find it hard to believe that it CAN'T be done at all. How hard it would be to do, or how much time & money it would take is another thing though.

In truth, I think the concern about the process of adding modes into Dark Souls in terms of money & time, and how that could in the end affect the game overall is very important. Now, whether or not doing so WILL negatively affect the game is another argument. One that I think should be brought to someone who worked/is working on Dark Souls.

However, none of that was what my question was about. Lets put it in a hypothetical situation. The next Dark Souls game comes out and has an easy mode, or better yet the old Dark Souls game is re-released and it now has an easy mode. There is still a "hard" mode that preserves the challenge, but lets just focus on the easy mode. I understand that the whole game is made around the challenge, but the other aspects can be appreciated by themselves(or they should be at least).

My question, for anyone who has played the game, is about the game mechanics(combat and otherwise), the visuals(cool boss monsters, interesting levels to explore, ect.), the story, the dialogue, the characters, and anything that isn't about the challenge.
For just those aspects of the game, in your opinion as someone who has played it, do those things make the game worth getting, and playing even if the challenge is lowered(LOWERED, not removed)?

(One thing to add. I am not asking if YOU, a person who played/plays Dark Souls for the challenge would play the game if it didn't have the same challenge, but if someone who dosen't play games for challenge would find this game worth playing if it didn't have the same amount of challenge.)

I understand that I am asking you to judge the game using a set a values that you may not use yourself to "rate" the game, but the reason I have to ask is I haven't played the game. So, I would like to know, for someone who doesn't have challenge as a top priority, is the game worth playing if you don't play it for the challenge?

Again, sorry for the long post.
May you have a very nice day!

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I have experience being the "bag *****". (the term we actually used was "tail manager", quite a bit more dignified if you ask me~)

It's a fun thing to do when you don't cosplay but your friends do, you feel like part of the group and join in the fun and stuff.

As for the picture aspect, it really is a permission thing. It's the fact that the guys sneaking shots from behind aren't being polite enough to ask for pictures, that's how I'd break it down.

Asking for pictures can even be fun, people don't have to always be afraid of the interaction, you can even ask something in-character. I remember this one time, there was a Rachel Alucard cosplayer (she's a character with princess-like mannerisms who is arrogant and stuff) so I asked her "may I take your picture my lady" and the cosplayer smiled almost surprised by the way I approached her but instantly answered "you may" in a snooty tone perfectly befitting her character. That kinda stuff is part of the fun of cons and cosplay and stuff. You don't have to be like some autistic creep and go about it like "hey...can I take a picture of your ass?", you can add some fun into it, make the cosplayer enjoy posing for you rather than feel obligated to do so to avoid being jerk.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
Seeing as I live in Denmark (also know as one of the few countries that sees licorice as a treat not a threat) your reactions to licorice are absolutely hilarious. I do not know why it is but apparently something went horribly right in northern Europe that made us enjoy the stuff. Especially the salty kind. The stronger the better.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I know someone who had a pet fox. I hear it was nice, but that it smelled bad. Also house-training them might be difficult.

If you're serious abouta pet fox, check out the local fur farms, (and whether keeping a fox is legal where you live) and if they'd sell you one. And keep in mind they aren't like dogs and you can't treat them like ones, even though they're close.

Foxes are animals that are very adaptable, though. My grandfather has a half-wild fox he feeds, and they also get in the cargabe unless you take precautions, and can live near humans, even in cities.

But if you want a pet that's like a dog, get a dog.

My favourite comedies have very unlikable protagonists. Because I can laugh when bad things happen to them, but also feel sorry. (one of my favourite funny comics is Iznogoud, that has a protagonist that tries to murder or otherwise dispose of the one person who likes him, and regularly blackmails, lies and tortures people.)

Henriot

Dec 15, 2011
Hmmm, titles and sigils...?

Susan: Supreme Squee Editor
Your heraldry would probably be something like a corgi rampant on a field of white.

Greg: Senior Magic Strategiser
I'm thinking a silver wand and a silver musket, crossed, on a field of purple.

Justin: NOTHING tops "Tank Ninja".
... a white tank, surrounded by red flames, on a black field? Either that or a dagger with blood on the blade on a black field... cause you love to backstab.

Paul: All-round Awesome Assistant?
Gold shield on a blue field, a goose on the left, a duck on the right, both facing outwards.

Schuyler: "Former Riverboat Captain" Assistant
A tower, but built out of square blocks, ala Minecraft.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I'm gonna join in on the Dark Souls Easy mode debate... why does it matter if there's an easy mode? There are people who might now play the game given the easy mode. It's not "in the spirit of the game"? Who decides that?

How about all those games that were remastered and released for later consoles? Is it in their spirit to play those versions and not to get the original console/game? [insert example of game with horrible controls / graphics that was improved in re-release.]

To say that "these features should not be present because it isn't in the spirit of the game" goes against the "play how you want to" line that is otherwise given. It's optional, so...

[I would cite other games and say 'is that in the spirit of the game', but I don't have that kind of game knowledge.]

The 'this takes time away from development' is a fair call for things yet to be done, but can't be applied to what has already happened.

[ObDisclaimer: Haven't played the game, probably never will.]

GrrWolfie

Aug 29, 2008
Sorry this got a little out there, I really needed to weigh in...

When a cos-player consents to posing for a shot the cos-player is choosing the angle the camera gets to see. That angle (or at least general angle) is the ONLY implied consent. For 3rd-party shots, that implied consent is assisted by being within the cos-players visual range giving them the opportunity to ask you not to shoot if it's uncomfortable.

What is NOT implied is stealth shooting the rear out of eye shot without asking. Especially if it's targeted at a sensitive area. If you caught one of these people they'd blush or try to hide, why? Because they know it's wrong. That's why I was so surprised you all agreed so readily with the concept of stealth booty pics (creepy much?). It smells like a "She/he was asking for it" type escape with totally disregards an individual's wishes whom may not even want any pictures taken at all.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Regarding the whole Dark Souls thing...
I never saw Dark Souls as being oppressive or unfair; quite the contrary, in fact. I see it as a game world which is completely fair because it is completely indifferent. As a player, it give you no undue concessions; you are not special in Dark Souls. You are undead schmuck constantly struggling an uncaring world full of undead schmucks, and any slack it gives you has already been shared with the rest of the class. You come back to life not because you can save and reload, but because everyone does. You can heal, but not because of power armor, but because you have a healing item, and sometimes you won't have a healing item and your enemies will. Giving the player control over their situation-giving them something the world doesn't allow everyone-destroys that ethos.

Also, new titles:
Susan Arendt: Part-time Druid
Greg Tito: Fifa Photobomber
Justin Clouse: Forgotten Realms Ambassador
Paul Goodman: Most Trusted Vizier