Escapist Podcast: 081: PlayStation 4

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
The character for four isn't the same as the character for death. The sounds of those words are similar in Chinese (different tones). This transfers into Japanese because of Sino-Japanese vocabulary.

For reference:
Death: 死
Four: 四

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
yunabomb said:
The character for four isn't the same as the character for death. The sounds of those words are similar in Chinese (different tones). This transfers into Japanese because of Sino-Japanese vocabulary.

For reference:
Dang it you beat me too it.

OT: I like the idea of streaming the videos, but I feel like Sony is trying to usurp my HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition.
I was really disappointed in Square Enix. I mean we're going into the new generation and FF Versus XIII, which was supposed to be a PS3 launch title, has yet to be released. I'm going to assume that they'll be localizing the KH HD but Square is really dragging with things in my opinion.
The only game that piqued my curiosity was the new iNfamous game.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Funny thing about Killzone and your mention of it lacking a distinct personality and never getting to Halo levels or anything, it could be that the problem lies with the developers (this is obvious but stay with me).
In the case of Killzone the problem lies with the nationality of the developers. They are Dutch, as in from The Netherlands.
Being Dutch myself I can explain this. The Dutch usually try to be diplomatic, safe, inoffensive in the products that they try to sell. Usually aimed at the lowest level possible to maximize potential customers.
Killzone is probably a good example of this.

Now I know what the stereotypes are for the Dutch and I can confirm, they are mostly completely wrong.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who felt a little underwhelmed by the selection of actual games shown.

Oh, and the system seller for the 360 was Halo 3.

Also on the topic of system sellers, I actually agree that Sony's systems maybe are a little less reliant on the one big system seller. They rely more on a consistently solid line up with a handful of stand out titles, but not really one or two huge names.

No successful console MMOs? I thought FFXI was pretty well received on the console. Also, while Phantasy Star Online wasn't a true MMO, it was a slight deviation that was very successful.

In the end, did the reveal convince me to buy a PS4? No, but it didn't scare me away either. I liked some of the concepts they talked about and some of the tech looked cool, but the games didn't do anything for me at all.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
yunabomb said:

For reference:
Curses! I was misled by my own newsie!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122276-Sony-Stock-Drops-After-PS4-Event

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/18/majority-of-dc-universe-online-users-play-from-the-ps3/

So apparently PS3 is where the most of the players of DCUO are.

As for buying a PS4...... Nope.... No plans as is... But then I am saving for a gaming rig, and didn't buy a PS3 until about six months ago anyway......

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
yunabomb said:

For reference:
You may correct me on this but from my fuzzy knowledge back from the two semesters of Japanese I took in college,death is shi and four is shi or yon. I was told because of superstitions many things weren't named 4 because of the similarity. For example buildings don't have 4th floors, much like how in the English speaking world they don't give buildings 13th floors.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
My major concern about the streaming of games is that the internet infrastructure in the UK is so far behind that of Japan and most of the US that I really doubt that it would be able to handle it anywhere near as well as it could in those countries.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
Serious note: The enzymes in Milk can eat through blood stains. Haven't tested this but my old Physics teacher swore by it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
LordFish said:
Serious note: The enzymes in Milk can eat through blood stains. Haven't tested this but my old Physics teacher swore by it.
Good to know! For, erm...future reference. Or science, yes. Science!

I think I heard that ginger ale can work on it, too, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
LordFish said:

I think I heard that ginger ale can work on it, too, but I'm not sure I buy that.
Ok now I can't help but picture you like this Susan.

Admittedly with far more cats.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
LordFish said:

On a side note/follow up, did Alice have to get surgery from that indecent or was it just a "it'll work it's way out of her system" kind of thing.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Eric the Orange said:
Susan Arendt said:
LordFish said:

On a side note/follow up, did Alice have to get surgery from that indecent or was it just a "it'll work it's way out of her system" kind of thing.
We had to get her medicine to stop her from throwing up, get her fluids to rehydrate her, and moderate her diet for several days. No surgery, thankfully.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
After watching the Sony Event video I'm curious, but at the moment I'm not sure if I will buy it right away.

If anything, it made me curious to know what they're gonna do about their E3 press conference, and how the other companies are going to conduct their conferences. My guess is that there are gonna be some games that have been shown years ago, and will be talked about this time. Maybe that's wishful thinking talking because I was super bummed about not hearing anything about The Last Guardian.

E3 will be the deciding factor for me since I want to know what they have planned, and how much.

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
There was definitely an assumption on behalf of the organizers that the audience cared as much about the accuracy of the cars in Drive Club as the presenter did. I turned off the stream then because I found it so uninteresting.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
Omg and another podcat tomorrow?! Awesooome.

As for the PS4... none of the demos really interested me.

The big thing I need to hear more about is their whole game streaming thing for PS1/2/3 games. I've been PC-only ($$ reasons) for ~5 years now. There are PS3 exclusives I'd love to play--Journey, MGS4, Heavy Rain, Two Souls, Last of Us, Tales of Xillia--but almost no 360 exclusives. (And, hell, some amazing PS2 games I missed out on too, the most egregious being Silent Hill 2 and Persona 3/4.) So if there's some way to play those games through the PS4's streaming thing, I'll get one on launch and skip the 720. If not, I'll prolly wait until a few compelling titles come out on the PS4 or 720 and decide between them then, maybe picking up a PS3 in the meantime.

Skunktrain

Nov 19, 2009
You know what I think the real coup of Sony's early reveal is? Pax East. Think about it: Microsoft must either launch a similar conference (which will look desperate), reveal at Pax East (a much smaller event), or allow Sony to be the star of Pax East. All Sony needs to do is reveal three games and a few details and that becomes the big news out of Pax East. You guys know more about the industry than me so tell me if I'm off base with this but if they show the console itself at Pax East and save the launch date, price, and first hands on for E3 this puts Microsoft in the uncomfortable position of having to do all of those things at E3 if they want to release this year.