Escapist Podcast: 081: PlayStation 4

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
As I recall, 4 and death sound the same when spoken in Japanese but are visually unique. It shouldn't be a big deal(minus superstition), in english we have similar words/numbers that are the same phonetically like two(to, too), four(for) and eight(ate) and the only issues that could rise from that are terrible number puns. That being said, none of those sound quite as jarring as death but I don't think it'll cause any issues.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Regarding MMOs and consoles - I played FFXI on 360 quite a bit back in the day.
You could use a keyboard and play just fine. I mean its not like a wireless USB keyboard is all that hard to get ahold of ...

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Heh, you should get Mike a real microphone, toasters aren't really supposed to be used for voice recording...

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
I'm really on the edge about what to get if I get anything for the next console. I guess I'll need to wait till e3 to see what everyone is waving around.

On topic a bit more: I do think the streaming/video capture feature could be really good for PS3 sales. The amount of games I picked up for 360 because people were playing 360 versions of them is frankly a bit embarrassing for me. Think about this for a second if someone made a video for a review or for you tube, how many were played on xbox versions?

Also I found this, and yeah, the car guy at 1:38.

Phoenix8541

No Regrets
Sep 10, 2012
I agree that Sony will really have to show the new system is either so much more advanced than what I am currently using or this " game" will only be on the ps4 and said game sways me to buy the system just to play it, much like I have with the mentioned Zelda/Halo titles. If they cannot do this it will really feel more like a system update and less like a "New" system.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Akisa said:
So we're going to pretend FFXI as cross platform MMORPG. And the fact that it's mention it's the most profitable Final Fantasy game, I'm just going to let that sink in.

Reference:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/24/the-most-profitable-final-fantasy-of-all-time-is
It also was on the PS2 of all things. Which is one of the things that made it popular. Along with Auto-Translate, it was cross-platform and cross-culture. Nobody has done it since, nobody has done it better.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Final Fantasy XI was out on ps2 and the 360 as well as the PC. It was out on ps2/pc before there even was a WoW in fact.

They managed this through their playonline service, before there even was a PSN. It was a dedicated service to the game and yes, it did feature cross-platform play.

Oh and yeah, people would end up buying ps2 keyboards and stuff to just play that game alone. The "you'd need a keyboard" excuse did not prevent people from getting it on console.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I enjoyed the podcast and just wanted to chime in regarding the system selling games like some posters appear to have already been mentioning.

I think Microsoft and Nintendo both have a handful of very big name system sellers but Sony has a lot of good exclusive games that aren't necessarily huge but each have a major draw. I've owned every Sony and Microsoft console since the ps1/xbox forward. (just nintendo/atari before that).

I did buy both xbox systems for the Halo series and I do find the xbox and 360 to be more friendly multiplayer systems. I mean, Halo + four controllers with the system = party. Perhaps this leads to the explosiveness of their titles. My ps3 simply doesn't make me feel like it's a party system. I do play COD Black OPS 2 with several friends but that's hardly an exclusive game.

Sony's exclusives are usually single player games or simply aren't as good as 360 counterparts in the multiplayer aspects. I'll list some for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:playStation_3-only_games

Flower
God of War series
Heavy Rain
Infamous 1 & 2
Killzone series
Little Big Planet
Metal Gear Solid 4
Resistance series
Uncharted Series

There are more of course, but these are the heavy hitters that I hear the most about (I know you mentioned some racers that did something for them). Note that nearly all of them focus almost exclusively on single player storylines. I love these games, most of them. I think Sony has the best exclusives in the business where the single player experience is concerned. But do any of these strike you as particularly popular multi-player games? Compared to Halo and Gears of War, for example, certainly not. Sony could really benefit from a big multi-player hit that is exclusive to them. But one absolutely should note that Sony's good(relatively popular) exclusives outnumber the other consoles by a fair margin, despite the lack of multi-player that seems to encourage party events around them.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
Dear Susan

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/variabilities

the degree to which an item is variable.

In context it was not only the right word, but scoped the exact problem that MMORG have when hitting the console or at least in my experience. Personally, I have never really been happy with RPG or Strategy games on the console. Don't get me wrong I'm not a snob about it, but the changes to the UI that makers of this game seem to make it more difficult to play (as in you have to do more clicks to get things done, not that it requires more skill) which takes away from the emersion and therefor the fun at least for me. I am not saying that is the way the world works, only that it is my experience. That being said I keep buying Console based RPGs hoping to get the experience I love with the benefits of the console.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I am a jackhole and proud of it (in the context of wanting my console to fit aesthetically with my home).