Escapist Podcast: 082: Microtransactions and Tomb Raider

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
I cannot see susan I disagree of this,this should be susan time with friends THERE MUST BE MORE SUSAN.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Not to take angry twitter guy's side on the whole spoiler discussion but in a show like Walking Dead where character mortality is a big part of it knowing character X survives to point Y could take tension out of scenes.
But I'm really touchy about those things, because I can't stop my self from putting 2 and 2 together. I got chapter 3 of the Walking Dead game completely ruined for me because someone said something that "Wasn't a spoiler"

I agree with Justin, the knowledge that there is something that can be spoiled is in it's self a spoiler, because you're expecting something and you don't know what or when but you're always ready for it.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Someone spoiled the last Harry Potter book for me ("What, Rowling's increasingly lazy writing, didn't," harr, harr) by suggesting one of the main characters died. They didn't, but I spent my time reading the whole book mentally building up for that moment. The whole thing felt deflated afterwards.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
The Escapist Staff said:
082: Microtransactions and Tomb Raider

This week, we discuss the comedian/tv show host Conan O'Brien and his attempt to Tomb Raider, Electronic Arts and their push for more microtransactions, and the pet hates we've developed with modern gaming.

Attention Podcat listeners! We're experimenting with live-action video in our podcasts, and want to know what you think! Watch a video-filled version of today's podcast here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/6954-Video-Podcast-082-Microtransactions-and-Tomb-Raider]!

Watch Video
video kills it, was better as audio because i could do other things and listen to it now i cant watch your podcast or i'll miss things :(

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Oh my god, Susan, I haven't checked Twitter in a few days! Don't spoil your tweets for me! Jeez! Unfollow.

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Phlakes said:
Impressionism

Cubism

They're both interpretations of realism but cubism is more symbolic and impressionism is more technical.
And Susan mentioned Dali,

Which is surrealism.

And whoever mention the "bombing in spain" That is Guernica which is the second picture in the comment above.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Itdoesthatsometimes said:
I liked this weeks podcast.

I may sound like an asshole, but I feel like I am listening to the Podcast again. Just in case I did not sound like an asshole enough. It is not because Paul is back.

No offense Paul.

Good job, you all.
Um...huh?

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
I would have to say that I did expect there to be a table, but also I thought you would be using a blue screen instead of a green screen (though on second thought blue is a more common color to be used in cloths then green).

on the type of games effect the propensity to learn language feels far too not only anecdotal, but also very empirical as there is also almost an automatic conclusion that people will tend to like one type of game more then all others, and slightly elitist/snobbish that "those whom do not like similar things(games) to me must be deficient in some way" though I do understand some of the claims it does make some leaps that I just can't get along with.

and just because a person loves math does not mean that they will like statistic driven games. because there are several circles of the math community at large that will say Statistics is not math it is a numerical science. this is based on the line of reasoning that science explains the world, math gives a basis to the science. And before you get going with "then why is Statistics taught as a math course in most schools" because when it comes down to it most of your sciences have some physical, or visual component to them, and statistics in, and of itself is purely theory. so it is more a half way between science, and math (a loner not fitting in with either), but it is put in with math because the lack of the physical component.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
To be honest I listen to the podcast whilst doing other things so the video didn't add much. It was nice to see who was talking and the crazy hand talk, I would suggest finding a better camera angle, or setting the camera higher so we're looking down but seeing everyone clearer.

Micro-transactions so long as they stay as (reasonable) impatience tax I'm fine with them.

Also Javik should not have been DLC.

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
You're complaining about Conen's "Clueless Gamer" segments? Really? Grow some skin Tito.

It's the same as when I make fun fans of <insert your local sports-ball variant here>.

First he's ad-libbing and so the comedy is going to be the first thing that comes to mind. And I find the funny thing about these segments is that he is going for the obvious jokes. This comes from the fact that he is completely clueless (Like the title).

Coming up with better jokes would involve some actual writing. But I really doubt that is going to happen especially because most of the humour comes from Conan's quite reasonable bafflement at the situations that games put you in.

I also think he may be hamming up his cluelessness. He actually seems to be playing a stereotypical "non-gamer". Yes the obvious "you're a nerd so you don't get laid" jokes are kinda cheap but you've got to admit that earnestly describing the plot and setting of Halo does make you sound like a bit of a basement dwelling loon.

If you can't take a gentle ribbing about nerd stereotypes then... don't watch?...

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
WalrusPowers said:
Alas, my net is too shitty to view a podcast-length video every week...
The Lugz said:
video kills it, was better as audio because i could do other things and listen to it now i cant watch your podcast or i'll miss things :(
No worries! We're still going to have an audio-only version available, either hosted on our site or through our regular podcast gallery on iTunes, so you'll still be able to get your weekly podcat fix!

We're also going to see what we can do about adjusting the size/quality of our videos as well, so it still looks good but it's not a huge bandwidth hog for those with slower internet connections.

Susan Arendt said:
Itdoesthatsometimes said:
I liked this weeks podcast.

I may sound like an asshole, but I feel like I am listening to the Podcast again. Just in case I did not sound like an asshole enough. It is not because Paul is back.

No offense Paul.

Good job, you all.
Um...huh?
I'm also rather confused here...

Henriot

Dec 15, 2011
I enjoyed the video, so thumbs up from me. Highlights were definitly seeing hand gestures from everyone (Paul especially) and Greg's "4th wall breaking" look at the camera (technically that wall is already broken, but anyway).
One request; a little animation of a cat playing guitar for the intro/outro music. Can't help imagining a feline with an oversized guitar just shredding away...

I would be interested to hear thoughts on the numerous DLCs for games like Fallout; they came out after the initial release, adding areas not vital to the game but fleshing out side content (not including the one that extends FO3 ending). Susan; are you opposed on principle to the little extra gear you get with one of the FO:New Vegas DLCs that start you off with some extra armour and weapons? Is it treated differently in your eyes because it's singleplayer vs a multiplayer thing?

EDIT: My personal take on spoilers: everyone is assumed alive until proven/shown dead. Slight exceptions, but in general that's how I work around them. Saying a character is alive in a series isn't taboo, but even that can get murky if a character "dies"/disappears then makes a miraculous return...

ClassWar

Mar 11, 2011
It took me a little time to get into your podcast, meanwhile I#m generally looking forward to it week for week.
I'm really glad, that you're trying new things with the video version, allthough I think that still needs some work, especially when it comes to the angle of the camera.
Kind of feel bad for Susan for not beeing visible at all.
BUT, it really adds something to the Experience, when you're able to see some body language going on.
Great job!

Oh, and one more thing: I'm quite sure, that "in medias res" is Latin, not French.
Therefore there is no right way to pronounce it, since Latin is a dead language and all.
But if you care to argue about it:
My vote would be on a bad Italian Accent ;)

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Love it but just one thing: the camera positioning isn't the best for seeing everyone's faces and expressions (especially Susan). Find a better configuration and you're gold. Look forward to seeing more! :)

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I have heard time and time again it is lava hot in that room. Where is the lava?

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
I almost never buy any DLC, it's just out of spite for this kind of practice. You can tell that the DLCs for some games are just ripped from the game (or even on the disc but locked like some Capcom games). That's just wrong. I will not buy any EA games with micro-transactions, buying a $60 + the cost of micro-transactions + DLC you're looking at $100 per game. That is just way to greedy of the companies.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
Speak of the devil I *just* stumbled across those Clueless Gamer shorts on youtube a couple hours before watching this!

I think it's also interesting to note that the shorts also include audio of audience feedback in the background - they always just lap up those jokes like they were the funniest punchlines ever.

Definitely seen Conan do better than those segments, but no seriously some of the death sequences in Tomb Raider would make me cringe so much. Like holy bejeebus. Spike right through the throat.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
The worst spoiler I had was for the game chrono cross, when my friend told me that lynx was the main charater's father and I hadn't played to that part yet, I almost punched him in the face but I knew him since I was 8 so I let it go.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
I have to disagree with Greg about the Conan "Clueless Gamer" segments. I find them to be facinating glimpses into what non-gamers percieve when they see video games. You say in the podcast the we are "beyond this stuff" but the problem with that position is... no we aren't and Conan's observations make it clear that video game design still hangs on to tropes that gamers are either too distracted to see, or have been desensitized to. I recommend getting being more open to hearing differing viewpoints, it is a hallmark of a mature adult.