Escapist Podcast: 082: Microtransactions and Tomb Raider

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Eleima said:
Phlakes said:
Art history time.
Oh my gosh, thank you, thank you, thank you! :D I was in my car listening to the podcast this morning, and it was just torture! :D When Tito said "I think it's cubism", I could've hugged him.
Of course, I'm biased, because my parents dragged us to the National Gallery of Art every chance they got, and we had art history lessons in addition to standard art classes grades 6 through 9th.
So I got it right? Awesome! I was totally pulling that one out of my ass, but I'm glad I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to trivia. Thanks Eleima.

Greg

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
I don't know, the fact that some shows are much easier if you get the entire season in one sitting or close together. For example Lost, I think shows could be talked about after the entire season has been shown.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Maybe this would be better served sending it in as a question but whatev, I'll just ask the question here and hope that the Potcat crew shines their infinite wisdom down upon this lowly servant :)

Basically, I'm confused on your view of Micro-transactions versus Season Pass.

The general tone I got was that you were OK with Micros but not OK with Passes. However, your argument for Micros could just as easily be used for the Pass': You don't have to use it if you don't want to, it's an option that is available to you. Why does that line of reasoning make Micro's an OK thing but it makes Pass' not OK? I've never seen a game with a Pass where that was the only option; you're able to cherry pick what you want if you don't want everything or if you don't trust that you'll like everything that may come out.

Arothel

Feb 13, 2010
King's Quest puzzles had tenuous relationships with logic, as I recall. Hold on to that pie to throw at the monster 3 hours after you pick it up...

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Greg Tito said:
So I got it right? Awesome! I was totally pulling that one out of my ass, but I'm glad I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to trivia. Thanks Eleima.
Greg
Well, Picasso [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Picasso] went through a variety of phases, and in the later stages of his life, he tended more towards surrealism, but he is best known for his groundbreaking works in cubism (the portraits deconstructed faces, with both eyes on one side).

tippy2k2 said:
Maybe this would be better served sending it in as a question but whatev, I'll just ask the question here and hope that the Potcat crew shines their infinite wisdom down upon this lowly servant :)
Basically, I'm confused on your view of Micro-transactions versus Season Pass.
I don't want to speak for that, but the sentiment is that you don't really know what you're buying with a season pass. Future DLC may or may not come not, it may or may not be any good. With microtransactions, you're paying for a very specific game element (reduced build times, extra materials for crafting, etc).

Arothel said:
King's Quest puzzles had tenuous relationships with logic, as I recall. Hold on to that pie to throw at the monster 3 hours after you pick it up...
Oh come now, admit it, you've always wanted to push a yeti off a cliff! ;) I think my favorite part was walking rotten with dead fish in my pockets. :D

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
cynicalsaint1 said:
Strange I never realized Susan was actually a talking anthropomorphic mic-stand XD
yeah i was also dissapointed by camera position hiding Susan.

also i been picturing it all wrong, i was expecting something like a large wooden table, all 4 of you on one side and microphones+equipment on another side..... you know, something similar to LRR videocasts.