Escapist Podcast: 083: SimCity, Story-Based RPGs and Google Glass

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Susan - Was the subtitled film you watched called Jar City by any chance? It has a good storyline, if a little depressing, but I have to agree the casual eating of the sheep head made me want to lose my own dinner. The story is set in Iceland and I believe boiled sheep's head is a delicacy there. Although I think the true problem was the way that it was filmed as if the guy was doing nothing more unusual than picking up a take-away curry and eating it at home! Truly disturbing.

On the subject of names... my name is Jonathan. I used Jon for a short time (without the h, that was very important!) but now it feels really weird if anyone calls me that. I like Jonathan, it's my name and that's what I use. Lord help you if you call me Jonny though; I can't stand it! A fact that causes my friends to use it all the more.

Spelling is a big problem too. Although I use the most common spelling I have seen some truly mind-boggling spellings in relation to my own name, mostly involving an overenthusiastic use of the letter h.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
GabeZhul said:
Susan Arendt said:
GabeZhul said:
Well, there goes one of the podcasts I used to listen to...
I mean, okay, you can experiment with this video-feed idea all you want, but a podcast, first and foremost, is supposed to be like a radio show that you can listen to on the go (like I do while working or doing other stuff), and then what did you do?

You put the audio only version into goddamn iTunes! Sorry, but no. I am not going to go even CLOSE to any goddamn Apple service ever again, not even for you guys. Adios, it was fun.
Or you could just download the mp3 from our RSS feed. Up to you.
*sigh* Yeah, I suppose I should have waited a little longer before posting. In my defense, it was mostly the sleep-deprivation (and my intense hatred towards iTunes) talking, but still, my bad. -.-'
Ok, next time you're about to unreasonably flip out, maybe take a minute and think about the fact that the people you're talking to are actual people who are doing their best to do a good job and provide you with solid entertainment, day after day, free of charge. We all have our bad days, and I'm not asking you to be perfect, but you know, just maybe think about how the people on the other end of your vitriol might feel.

Proverbial Jon said:
Susan - Was the subtitled film you watched called Jar City by any chance?
THAT'S IT!!!!!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
On the subject of saves, there is this little phenomenom I'd like to call "Last Save Rampage", and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that.
You're playing an RPG, like Skyrims or Fellouts, and log your save for the day before bed or something, and that is the save you're going to load next time you play it. That makes anything you do from there consequence-free. So I tend to take the opportunity to do something I never do otherwise, namely grabbing the weapons and raizing the town to the flippin' ground.

When I play properly, I tend to play fairly good characters, helping out the community and generally being a nice, polite hero, which makes it all the more fun imagining how it must be like for the poor villagers when their friendly neighbourhood dragonslayer suddenly goes feral and decapitate the town soap maker. "What did we do?! Was it something I said?! Guards! Haaalp!"

As for names and nicknames, I've got a fairly entertaining one. My name, Marc, rhymes very well with knark, which is slang for drugs (think as in narcotics) and that apparently never ceased to be hilarious, it was practically my proper name throughout school. If I ever wake up one morning and decide to launch a career as a ganster rapper, I'm going to use that as my nom de plume.

Still, I was better off than a friend of mine, his last name was Bong. Yeah, I'll so get him a spot on my crew if that ever happens.

JoaoJatoba

Deadman Walking
Dec 31, 2010
Why is Susan so mad about the definition of "literally"? Isn't the word meaning a consensus among the speakers of that language? Something is right or wrong depending on the overall consensus of the people.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
JoaoJatoba said:
Why is Susan so mad about the definition of "literally"? Isn't the word meaning a consensus among the speakers of that language? Something is right or wrong depending on the overall consensus of the people.
Because the word has a meaning, and that meaning is being changed not because of natural evolution, or societal changes, or technological changes, or even consonental shift, but rather because people don't try to use it correctly. Changing a word because people we're not willing to expect more of people? No, sorry, I'm never going to be down with that.

JoaoJatoba

Deadman Walking
Dec 31, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
JoaoJatoba said:
Because the word has a meaning, and that meaning is being changed not because of natural evolution, or societal changes, or technological changes, or even consonental shift, but rather because people don't try to use it correctly. Changing a word because people we're not willing to expect more of people? No, sorry, I'm never going to be down with that.
Dumb people using a word the "wrong way" IS a societal change. Just not a good one.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
JoaoJatoba said:
Susan Arendt said:
JoaoJatoba said:
Dumb people using a word the "wrong way" IS a societal change. Just not a good one.
It's not one I consider to be an acceptable reason to change the language. You wanted to know why I was mad. That's why.

JoaoJatoba

Deadman Walking
Dec 31, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
JoaoJatoba said:
Susan Arendt said:
JoaoJatoba said:
It's not one I consider to be an acceptable reason to change the language. You wanted to know why I was mad. That's why.
Ok... (^_^)

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Ok about the sound check... Giving birth is not some monumental, impossible feat. It's doable, it may be hard, but not impossible. We're always hearing horror stories, but everyone keeps forgetting that the cast majority of labors go well. No one ever tells the positive, happy stories. My labor was four hours, not twenty-four, not four days, four hours. And my first, too. But that doesn't make me a superwoman or anything.
An episiotomy isn't done systematically (at least it shouldn't be done systematically, but some doctors are still lazy and oldschool), there are a bunch of studies on the matter, but I won't bore you with the details. Sorry to go off on a tangent like this, but public health and particularly maternal and infant health are fields I have a very strong interest in. To be honest, giving birth can be easy, it's the eighteen plus years that come after that are hard!

Back on gaming. I was so glad that you guys mentioned Plague Inc!! I've basically been playing it nonstop since the guys and Susan on the Gamers With Jobs podcast discussed it, and it's really well done! It's hard to believe the developer has no deep scientific knowledge on the matter, the different mechanisms involved in modifying your pathogen, spreading it, etc are very intricate, extremely well done. Also, I had the same reaction as Justin: "Greenland!!" Oh gosh Greenland has caused me to fail more than once...

About SimCity... I love the franchise, I played the first games "back in the day", and was very curious about this iteration, but... ugh, I just had a feeling this kind of debacle would happen. And it's really a shame, because from little feedback there has been, from what little people have played, it seems to be a great game, but all the "stuff around it" just makes it entirely unappealing.

Regarding names and nicknames, I just had to sigh and nod when I heard this part. Growing up in an English-speaking country with a distinctively French name has not done me any favors; people have downright massacred my name, I mean botched it beyond recognition. So I now when I say my name, I just say a English version people can handle, and that's fine. Until they have to spell it.

And finally, the Google Glass. I was so glad Susan brought up Greg's daughter, because I had bee basically crying out in my car "what if it was your child?" for the past five minutes. This is definitely a concern for me, not only as a woman, but also as a mother. I'm not sure I find the concept all that appealing, and at the very, very least, it's a double edged sword (and what Justin had to say on the matter was spot on in my book). Before the Google Glass, we had cellphones with cameras (and I've had some total random stranger in the street snap a picture of me in broad daylight, for absolutely no apparent reason, that's very uncomfortable), and that can be an issue too. Of course, the benefits are there, it's incredibly useful to be able to take a picture on the fly and send it to friends and family (particularly when you live so far away from each other, as is my case). Fundamentally, the problem is the same with Google Glass. In the end, it's not the technology itself that matters or that will make a difference, but the people and how they use it.

Sorry for the wall of text, but thanks for the awesome podcast! I always look forward to it, and you always spark a variety of thoughts and insights!

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
TAdamson said:
Alright... WHERE IS THE AUDIO VERSION?

I really don't need to spend the extra bandwidth incurred by watching the four of you sitting statically in opposite corners of a sound-room, where we can barely see Susan or Paul, with your faces are hidden by pop filters.

Seriously... From what I can tell you're all very good looking, but unless you're going to turn the podcat into a 100 minutes of you doing Gundam Style and the Macarena
(In which case I'm going to stop watching due to displaced embarrassment) then there is very little point to actually watching the video versions of these podcasts.

Maybe if you were sitting on a couch or around a desk and we actually got to see the faces of those who were talking, you actually provided additional visual content... But you don't... So.... Why are you making me download 250MB instead of 40-90MB?
There really is no need to be so rude. You can download the audio-only version either from iTunes for you can download the mp3 from the RSS feed for the podcat. You don't want to deal with video, you don't have to.
Uhuh? I don't use Iturds and your RSS feed leads me to a bunch of XML gobbelldygook, even when I load it to outlook it breaks... Nice.

Why not just provide the podcast as an MP3 download? A simple file link? Why do I have to go through IT/RSS(Both broken) when every other podcast in the industry provides a link to a file to download, It would cost nothing at all.

Or if that offends you why not provide it in your videoplayer like you did previously? Then you'd make money again.