Escapist Podcast: 085: Kickstarters and The Meta Game

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
085: Kickstarters and The Meta Game

A special podcast brought to you a full day early! This week, the podcast crew discusses Lord British's recent kickstarter and John Riccitiello leaving Electronic Arts. We also play a nifty card game called <a
href="http://www.amazon.com/Metagame-Videogame-Edition-1-0-Deck/dp/B007RELORA">Metagame: The Game Debate Game, which results in some interesting discussion!

Watch Video

Migs

Oct 13, 2010
Thanks for the early PodCat!

What RSS Readers do you guys use to receive the link to the Podcat Audio file?
Mind just links to the page where the video is.
I'm using [b2] notifier by the way.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Migs said:

If you open up the RSS link in Firefox, it should take you to a page where you can download previous podcasts via mp3. For some reason Chrome likes to show just the HTML format info.

Migs

Oct 13, 2010
Yes, that does happen when I use Chrome.
Weird as pants.

Can't even install a rss reader for chrome and get that to even install, nevermind work.

I'll start watching the PodCat in about 8 minutes, giving me time to prepare for Dinner.

Doctor Proctor

Omega-3 Man
Oct 21, 2008
Migs said:

On my Android phone I use Beyond Pod Podcast Manager. It's a pay app, but it pulls the audio files for the PodCat just fine and has a pretty good interface for managing multiple feeds. Since I'm just going to listen to them on my phone anyway, I just prefer to download all of my podcasts through that.

On the PC I use the soon-to-be-defunct Google Reader to manage my RSS feeds. It pulls the audio for this just fine as well, rather than pulling up the video file. I have no idea what I'm going to switch to once they kill that though...especially since it feeds things like Beyond Pod as well. =(

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
This is sad, but I only just noticed that, in the podcat logo, the cat's tail forms the "S" of "PODCAST". Well done, whoever designed that.

Edit: Regarding Weird Al--actually, he's commented about how his job's gotten more difficult in recent years because every popular song has tons of people making silly spoofs of it (...not necessarily that they're good, but just that the market's full of imitators and he has to make better content than them).

Fun fact: the color/word thing is called a Stroop test (and can help show cognitive impairments in various diseases and disorders [e.g., someone with schizophrenia will perform worse on the test than a healthy individual]).

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
I cut my teeth in Worms with Worms Armageddon. I had a team called the "Paladin Monks" yeah... that was odd DnD class combo. Anyway, they had Scottish accents, their favoured weapon was a banana bomb and were named: Widget, Idgit, Digit, Fidget, Midget, and Pidgeot. Soooo much fun with that game, especially when we hot-seated. Much finger-pointing and intentionally screwing with other people's worms.

Thanks for the early podcat!

raptor1181

Jul 26, 2010
Hey Love the podcast as always!!! Susan you should check out Fort Boyard and the Crystal Maze

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Paul knows what's up. Knightmare was my absolute favourite TV show when I was a kid. I look back on it now and realise that it wouldn't have aged well - like most British shows from the 80s, it was very much 'of its time' - but just the fact that I remember it so well probably speaks for itself.

Link for those asking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knightmare

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
I love that we get the video podcats now... I'm always torn between watching them and listening them on the way to work (bike to work, its a long ride). Im glad I watched this one, Mai'dah is adorable. (please don't ban me)

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
Just yesterday I attended a presentation about developing for the Kinect. It has some amazing tracking technology. It's just kind of imprecise; it has a standard quality resolution. Rumor has it the next generation's Kinect will have high def resolution and in theory, better tracking. I also learned that there is a Kinect made for Windows (at an additional $400 price) geared toward developers, which has slightly better specs. The guy giving the presentation demoed some of the SDK features and it seemed to be more accurate than the current standard model.

smashleigh

Aug 6, 2011
Speaking of X-Men cross overs I have a terrible X-Men/ST:TNG cross over novel, its pretty horrendous and all the more funny for Patrick Stewart playing characters in both series

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
... Why is there no Weird Al music yet!? Twas a topic!

Remedied.

There will never a man who can polka as well as him.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
So, am I the only one who can't see this podcast? After the first minute it just starts flipping out and skipping like an old, scratched vinyl up until around the 22 minute mark

Migs

Oct 13, 2010
Nope VladG, works fine for me.
Although I watch it Offline as opposed to Online though.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
VladG said:
So, am I the only one who can't see this podcast? After the first minute it just starts flipping out and skipping like an old, scratched vinyl up until around the 22 minute mark
Try clearing your cache? It's the most common way to deal with video issues on our site, from what our IT team tells me.