Escapist Podcast: 088: Career Advice And Games We Thought We'd Like

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
088: Career Advice And Games We Thought We'd Like

This week, The Escapist crew gives out some career advice (which we hope is helpful!) and talk about a few things we hate to see when playing a videogame we're excited about.

Watch Video

Aristabulus

Nov 17, 2009
Greg @ ~35:00... I believe the game you were thinking of is Rebellion [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Rebellion]. I too purchased that one with high hopes, and was let down quickly.

Empire at War was a SW-skinned RTS from 2006.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Aristabulus said:
Greg @ ~35:00... I believe the game you were thinking of is Rebellion [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Rebellion]. I too purchased that one with high hopes, and was let down quickly.

Am I the only person who actually really loves (yes, to this day) Rebellion? I remember having fun with it and getting in depth with it even as a kid. I managed to capture half the Rebel's main heroes as the Empire with a raid that would outdo the Battle of Hoth.

Aristabulus

Nov 17, 2009
Parakeettheprawn said:
Am I the only person who actually really loves (yes, to this day) Rebellion? I remember having fun with it and getting in depth with it even as a kid. I managed to capture half the Rebel's main heroes as the Empire with a raid that would outdo the Battle of Hoth.
I saw some interesting things happen on a few LAN games I observed, but as far as playing it, my experience was about the same as Greg's... The way Rebellion started you out, combined with overall poor explanation of its parts, put me off immediately.

That said, I can appreciate what the devs were trying to accomplish, and they weren't afraid to dream big. Rebellion was trying to do 4xRTS before that label was formally used by Sins of a Solar Empire. (I cannot recall it being used prior to Sins) I just think Rebellion would've done better with a more traditional 4x start in some other sci-fi setting, instead of dropping the player into the middle of Star War's messy civil war.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I'm really enjoying Mai'dah Lashani joining the podcat. And as much as I enjoy the regulars being on the podcat, I like when you guys switch up the cast so new conversations can happen.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Alright, you didn't like Enterprise, that's fine. Did you at least see that it was getting good at the end?

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I like how if you listen to all the PodCats you get almost week by week story's of Greg baby growing up. If I remember right the first podcat, while it was still a podcast Russ mentions Greg couldn't be there because he was busy having baby. There needs to be a babycast one of these days.

TTYTYTTYYTTYTTTY

Feb 26, 2011
8am-7pm? is that really late? Sure it's a lil longer than your typical 8 hour shift, but there are many other jobs that ask for much later. You could be getting up at 5am get back at 9pm work at home till 11pm. Also it's not just the repetition and face pacedness of working in a Kitchen, theres the heat and rising tempers between you and your colleagues as the wings were supposed to be taken out by 7, but only at 8 are you told that they forgot and your there rushing to defrost and do that other perso-

needless to say shits frustrating. Some things should stay hobbies.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Speaking of stealth, one big recent example you missed is Far Cry 3. The game punishes you (in the form of reduced XP points) for engaging in combat - similarly to how Dishonoured punishes you with an 'evil' ending. That type of design is really aggravating.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Aristabulus said:
Parakeettheprawn said:
I saw some interesting things happen on a few LAN games I observed, but as far as playing it, my experience was about the same as Greg's... The way Rebellion started you out, combined with overall poor explanation of its parts, put me off immediately.

That said, I can appreciate what the devs were trying to accomplish, and they weren't afraid to dream big. Rebellion was trying to do 4xRTS before that label was formally used by Sins of a Solar Empire. (I cannot recall it being used prior to Sins) I just think Rebellion would've done better with a more traditional 4x start in some other sci-fi setting, instead of dropping the player into the middle of Star War's messy civil war.
That's what confuses me -- I didn't really need much explanation, it all seemed very intuitive. There were a few things I didn't know at the time, but by the last time I had played the game, like I said, I was kicking ass. And honestly, naval combat was the most boring part, rather than the management and tactical fighting parts.

Daedrin

Apr 17, 2010
Interestingly enough, as I progress up the chain in the culinary world, (I work at a 4star/80%+ approval establishment.) I find I become more and more disconnected from cooking!

While I am involved in theorycraft and creation, a lot of the work is on the same level as industrial trades. As mentioned, time, consistency, potential mistakes between so many layers of hands, ingredient consistency(often out of our hands which brings me to), so many things that you are being reactive to as they are completely out of your control. When someone asks me for cooking advice, as one does of a chef, I forget that normal people don't have a cache of ingredients and a small squad of underlings. More and more disconnected from 'actual' cooking.

It's a passion thing. You have to weigh the pros and cons as you advance. The skills required are innumerable. The rewards are finite. Especially the pay.

A quote of mine to aspiring culinary artists:

The differences between a master chef and a dishwasher
A chef has... Innovation, Focus, Integrity, Respect, Ingenuity, Teamwork, Creativity, Stamina, Organization, Flexibility and MOST importantly....maybe a 4-8 bucks an hour extra..

http://www.azcentral.com/style/hfe/food/articles/20100126chef-dish-top-five-chef-skills.html?nclick_check=1

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Ah! AH! Where's Susan!? Weird things make me uncomfortable!!!

OT: I thought id like Battlestations Midway but the game was beyond tedious...

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Parakeettheprawn said:
Aristabulus said:

I loooved Rebellion, but it really did have a confusing learning curve. It could take a while to figure out all its various mechanics and there were quite a few balance issues between the Alliance and the Empire once you took a close into things (not to mention a complete lack of detailed ground combat!). Still, I killed so many hours playing it and it's definitely one of my all-time favorites, so that says something.

vgmaster831 said:
Did Justin say "point and to the brief?"
Er... Yes! That was totally Justin. And not anyone else.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Morality is definitely my favourite area of philosophy. And being a philosophical point of argument there are also very different views that you can take. Mai'dah raises an interesting point, for instance, about there always being a scenario where killing is unjustified. An absolutist pacifist, for example, would never be alright with killing, even in a video game.
Justin also raises an interesting point of moral killing being in self-defence. Pretty much every legal system across the world and every major religion recognizes the right to self-defence as being legitimate. An example of this is Christianity, where Jesus Christ recognizes someone's right to raise the sword in self-defence. (But being an absolutist pacifist, Jesus then waves this right during his arrest, when he tells Peter, the apostle, to stand down.)
Finally, Greg takes the judicial (also: Kantian) approach to morality, whereby as long as you stay within the confines of what is perceived to be moral in "real life", everything that falls outside that is alright (i.e. killing fictional characters). However, one thing about Kantian philosophy is that it assumes a free will, which comes under fire from more-modern psychological theories.
Greg assumes that you have a choice between killing in real life and killing in video games, but psychological theories add a new dimension to the debate. If, for instance, we would find ourselves in an apocalyptic scenario where laws against killing can't be enforced, the people who are more adjusted to killing people in video games, might find themselves acting more like a Daryl than a Herschel, despite the fact that we can all consciously distinguish between real life and fiction.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
The Escapist Staff said:
So much mishandling of historical information...

Wilhelm Rontgen is generally accredited for the discovered of X-rays. Thomas Edison merely studied them a bit. It was his assistant, Clarence Dally who is in the history books for nothing more than "He was the first person to die because of X-rays"

It IS true that shoe stores used to have X-rays as a sales gimmick though.

This information courtesy of my two years in the radiology program, for which I flunked out due to bullshit.

But it wasn't a waste! Years later, I got to listen to a bunch of people talk half truths on the internet and correct them!

/cry

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
Star Wars: Rebellion

I really liked Rebellion, to be honest. Yeah, it was complex and flawed, but between it and Empire at War, I actually like Rebellion better.