Escapist Podcast: 090: Nintendo Bails on E3 and Dragon's Crown's Breasts

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
090: Nintendo Bails on E3 and Dragon's Crown's Breasts

This week, the Escapist crew discusses the fast approaching Electronic Entertainment Expo (aka E3) and Nintendo's recent decision to cancel its big press event. We also discuss some of the recent controversy around Dragon's Crown and the lack of diverse female characters in videogames.

Watch Video

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Space marines are bald because of Bruce Willis

Everything in dragons crown is super exaggerated like the warriors upper torso or the sorceress upper "torso". The sexual appeal of the characters be it hunky dwarf or busty sorceress does not appear to any worse for either side in that game but it is somewhat juvenile. It does not seem that the women have it worse somehow and once again I don't feel the game is a feminist issue at all. It's just a silly exaggerated overly sexualised game and that is all.

Publishers are somewhat old fashioned and they need to get in touch to what gamers actually think at the moment but more importantly try new things in hopes of hitting a niche. Get some more peoples opinions rather than just do little studies. Although getting publishers to try new things and trying out some variety is an uphill battle so good luck with that. Variety in game play, variety in characters or variety with anything is not something they want to try right now even though they should. Hell the people that stand out in a significant way will get more sales then the those that don't or at least I hope so.

Again variety instead of the grim/dark trend. Still Valkyria Chronicles is way to upbeat for a game about warfare and it just feels wrong. The lets go kill some monsters and then get ice cream is something that just does not appeal to me.

Killing Floor

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Wow, Greg watches pron for the plots. I suppose you learn something everyday.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
If my memory serves I think Dragon's crown has the most diverse bunch of women (based off of appearances alone) than most other games that come to mind. The archers fairly tame, the Amazon is toned (women can have muscles too, well I be damned) and the Sorceress is... boobs.

I can't help but get the feeling that we're not allowed to have any "fun" anymore based on the possibility that somebody might get offended by it. If the sorceress started saying that she needs to get back to the kitchen and make some cupcakes for the boys, then people can start getting angry.

It's about time we stopped giving a toss about what our female characters look like and focus on if they act right. Why can't we have protagonists that are sexy and empowering/interesting?

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
I like The tall, thin, Big breasted, dark haired, women with skin like snow.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
Favorite Title has to be either Shining Force or GodHand. I think both of these game titles really bring a strong imagery to the table (and the fact they were both fun doesn't hurt either)

On the topic of "Boobs and the gravity which they defy", Even as a Male gamer, there I find myself being less and less "entertained/amused" by this style of art and more disenchanted with it. I do like Odinsphere a lot, and I imagine Dragon's crown will be pretty good as well (or I hope it will), but if I wanted to look at I could grab it for free from the internet. When I am playing a game, the only thing bouncing across the screen is the bodies of enemies, the grenades I throw or a soccerball from Fifa....or some sort of gelatinous blob game which may eventually come about.

Love the Podcat guys, keep up the great work

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Does anyone have a link to the box art study? At least from how it's described as being a study of a correlation between box art and sales... well, that's meaningless. Or, not completely meaningless, but, given all the other (uncontrolled) variables involved, just looking at 1) box art and 2) overall sales doesn't mean much.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Lots of fun guys. Thanks for entertaining me for an hour during a boring day at work!

As for game title.. will definitely agree with Half-Life. I would call it the second great game PC game I ever played. It short, sweet, simple, and symbolic of so much that I find fun, interesting, and engaging in gaming.

My own submission, though..

Thomas Was Alone

It has my name in it! Why wouldn't I love it? Totally feeds my ego and narcissism.

venividivigor

Apr 26, 2013
What's funny is this isn't really a problem in Japanese genre stuff, where male characters are often sexualized in highly ridiculous ways actually aimed at women (waifish prettyboys); the problem is more the Western genre stuff that has the problem of Conan not being what women find attractive but being a male power fantasy.

It almost seems like the very Japanese stuff, like console rpg's, where the male and female characters all have impossible Barbi-style proportions would end up - if translated to reality - just be like the OC's version of California, a world where everyone, male and female, is a supermodel.

In contrast, the Western comicbook style stuff leads to things like Black Widow's high heels while the rest of the Avengers look serious and ready for business; or games with huge gunbros on one hand and supermodel style women on the other.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Heres the thing with the main stream 'sexy' look... its boring! The socerous has a nice look which fits the style of the game so I don't really have any quarms with her (I have a thing for red heads) but in general whenever I see a 'hot' girl in games userly it falls flat because she bores me to tears.

Its my biggest problem with most anime, you know the ones im talking about, the girl who litterally does NOTHING but stand there and scream the protagonists name like a squarking bird. Say what you want about Bleach's piss poor story and use of cliches but at least its sexualised chracters (which is basically all of them apart from Kenpachi and Yamamoto) have a personality thats entertaining, if maybe shallow at times... and yes I understand Orihime has become that squarking bird but she used to be fun...

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Quick side note, Greg may be thinking of Hilde (Soul Calibur 4 & 5)

I've always thought she looked pretty awesome myself.

TheBestPieEver

Dec 13, 2011
I have always had a very concise opinion on sexy girls in videogames but I am generally too lazy to explain it in detail. I won't do that ('Cause I'm a sloth) but I will at least try to summarise it here. Sexy girls DO have a place in the industry. whether it is on super stylized games like street fighter where everyone seems like roman gods made real or on JRPG's where everyone is a moving anime concept art. They are also not a problem stupid "Good and evil, white dude saves the world because he has inner demons but a heart of gold and so he does it because he must" games made to appeal to the biggest demographic in the world, they have a place and can even be fun in that. Hell, a sexy girl can always have a place on ANYTHING. The fact that she is smoking hot will not detract from the quality of the game itself.

The problem lies on the fact that EVERY SINGLE WOMAN on every single game has to be a woman that, on the real world, would be on the cover of every fashion magazine on earth. That alone diminishes possible designs for women, making every woman not only attractive, but just plain beautiful. Then you have to go alone and diminish that range even more. Why? Because we have to appeal to the biggest demographic we can. Our girl has to be A) White B) With hair at least on the neck and C) Have the measurements of bloody Aphrodite. This basically destroys any hope for variety in designs in gaming, making every single character have to fit into these set in stone qualities.

This lack of variety hurts people on both sides of the issue (or people who support a balance like me). The way it affects people who don't want sexy women in games is obvious, but I think that their opposite-minded folks fail to notice how this affects them: It deprives them from more hot women. Even if for you the type of woman mentioned above is "the perfect woman" there is still attractiveness to be found on, say, black women, asian women, latino(latina?) women etc. Not even going into the range of different ethnicities; A woman CAN be attractive without having proportions that guarantee that she won't be able to buy lingerie at any normal store. I want to write more, but as said I'm lazy so I'll leave it at that.

Pepsik

Aug 30, 2011
Personally I have nothing against Sorceress' design per se, but the ingame physics is just too much and frankly unnecessary, since we all see, she has big boobs, they don't have to bounce (if you can still call that movement bouncing)

And just so I don't talk only about boobs, favorite game title: Hard to be a god (but that is a bit cheating, since it is a book and even a movie I think, but the title is just so enticing), so just a game title I would go with Ragnarok, it's just a strong word and you know there will be a great battle.

Kristian Fischer

Aug 15, 2011
Pepsik said:
Personally I have nothing against Sorceress' design per se, but the ingame physics is just too much and frankly unnecessary, since we all see, she has big boobs, they don't have to bounce (if you can still call that movement bouncing)

And just so I don't talk only about boobs, favorite game title: Hard to be a god (but that is a bit cheating, since it is a book and even a movie I think, but the title is just so enticing), so just a game title I would go with Ragnarok, it's just a strong word and you know there will be a great battle.
Well, it IS a Jap game...

Pepsik

Aug 30, 2011
Kristian Fischer said:
Well, it IS a Jap game...
Yeah, I know, but I can understand some overwhelming bounce once in a while, or in a good scene in cinematics, but I just saw the trailer and it was like everytime she changed directions (and you do that a lot in this kind of game), just too much even for Jap game. Or maybe it wasn't too much, but combined with the size of those things, it's just too visible.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ah, good to see somebody else liked the old Xbox controller. Man, that thing was a dangerous weapon =D

And about the whole "Dragon Crown" stuff, I must say I'm apathetic about the whole thing now. There's been that many "sexism in games" (which this stuff has tied into) debates, that I really don't care any more either way.

And yes that PS4 Abridged video is excellent =D

Revenge Revisited

The Doctor Called Me Special! :D
Dec 2, 2009
That Christopher Columbus movie is called "The Magic Voyage"

Here's the Nostalgia Critic review of it http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/30565-the-magic-voyage

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
crazy_coug99 said:
I swear, Susan has an addiction towards burritos.
I actually don't eat them that often. But I reallllllly like them. It's also just fun to say.

(Roll a cat up in a blanket, that's a purrito.)