Escapist Podcast: 094: Double Fine Kickstarter & E3 Judge's Week

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
094: Double Fine Kickstarter & E3 Judge's Week

This week, we discuss Double Fine's new Kickstarter and a few of the game seen in E3 Judge's week. Susan also has a special announcement.

Watch Video

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
Dear Escapist Podcast I've been listening to the show for the past 10 minutes. Decided that 10 minutes about car license things in your state was too much and closed the cast. Please refrain from doing that again. I love the site and I love the podcast and would hate to see it drop off because you were too casual about it.

Sorry for the serious tone.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Susan you seriously have to keep doing these even if you don't work here. just come in on Thursdays to record the podcat, it's just not the same without you.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
caballitomalo said:
Dear Escapist Podcast I've been listening to the show for the past 10 minutes. Decided that 10 minutes about car license things in your state was too much and closed the cast. Please refrain from doing that again. I love the site and I love the podcast and would hate to see it drop off because you were too casual about it.

Well, we do have a tendency to go off on random tangents of all kinds, and have certainly discussed a wide of non-game related of topics in previous podcasts, so I can't quite tell if you're being serious or not regarding our discussion about our cars...

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Hell yeah for Saints Row 4.

Susan, I think that's about as awesome a note to depart on than anything else. I totally agree with you:

"It's okay for something to just be fun." (emphasis mine).
I was surprised when you said it as it's something I've thought over the past several years, and not too many people seem to agree with me, either on The Escapist or in real life.

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
If they kill the dog in the new CoD, I'm going to give this game one less star than it deserves. Wolfenstein also sounds moderately fun.

I am really going to miss Susan and her animal stories on Podcat. And yes Orphan Black is awesome!

EDIT: I just remembered that at a convention I was at, there was a reptile shelter that came and had a whole 2 tables to themselves with reptiles you could hold and touch. I thought it was something awesome that the convention agreed on doing.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
It won't be the same without ya Susan.

:D Great Podcat though!
Again, good luck too Susan. And hopefully we all see some great FUN games at E3!

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
WMDogma said:
caballitomalo said:

Well, we do have a tendency to go off on random tangents of all kinds, and have certainly discussed a wide of non-game related of topics in previous podcasts, so I can't quite tell if you're being serious or not regarding our discussion about our cars...
Ok, to clarify, I do mean it that 10 minutes off topic (really off this time around) is a bit too much.

When I typed out the post I was having issues with my keyboard and that is why it came out so... I don't know... bland?

I don't mean to be a troll, like I said, I love the show and the site and you guys are great but I felt like I had to say something because of it. Its cool that you start of the cast in a relaxed way, I don't think that's wrong, but there's a line, in my opinion at least, that was sort of crossed today. At that point it (and this is totally my opinion here) it stopped feeling relaxed and crossed into the unprofessional.

I honestly say this as constructive as I can so I don't come off as a troll. The first post didn't come out so well, hope this is clearer. I know this a rather subjective thing and, again, I don't mean to be a troll. If I took the time to type out that post (with a broken keyboard I might add) its because I care enough to do so.

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
Don't know if Susan is leaving due to another job opportunity, but she'd make a million dollars doing a podcast with Steve Butts, Mike Kayatta, and if she doesn't return to the Escapist once recovered; Janelle Bonanno. Those are the four people that made the cast so enjoyable for me, and now you're all gone!

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
caballitomalo said:

My guess is you are not a regular listener, they rarely manage to stay on topic. There are multiple occasions I can think of when they go on tangents of 20-30mins over food alone.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Eric the Orange said:
caballitomalo said:

My guess is you are not a regular listener, they rarely manage to stay on topic. There are multiple occasions I can think of when they go on tangents of 20-30mins over food alone.
Yeah, we're kind of terrible about that. In fairness, it's usually more entertaining stuff than car registration (and we did apologize for it, because we knew we were being boring). But seriously, to call us "unprofessional"...sorry, no. Off our game, maybe, boring, sure, I'll take that. But unprofessional? That assumes we ever did this podcat any other way than just sitting down and chatting.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Susan, it has been a pleasure listening to you on the podcast during its run and I look forwards to hearing the occasional story from your former co-workers on your progress on the animal menagerie.

To help ease the pains of cute-image withdrawal, since no doubt organising your departure is eating into your schedule, here's a cat nursing young hedgehogs. - http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md1eloxQjZ1r6t5ajo1_500.jpg

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Nooooo susaaaan.

I'll miss you , you are and will always be one of the most fun Internet forum 'celebrity' i had the pleasure to hear rant in a podcast for over a year.

Almack

May 1, 2012
but BUT who will do the outro who will regale us with tails of dogs who WHO!!!!!!!!!!! bye Susan also does this mean that greg is now EC or mike

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
So I was introduced to The Escapist through Zero Punctuation, which I watched religiously. Then, as I got to know more about the site, I expanded my viewings to other programs, like The Big Picture and Escape to the Movies. And although my tastes have changed and I've watched less of some programs and more of others, one aspect that has always caught my attention and never managed to disappoint is you, Susan Arendt.

Your reviews of games and articles have always been brutally honest and entertaining. And you, above all others, have shown to be one of the most passionate AND forthright advocates of the gaming culture that I have ever witnessed. As a person who works in the education field, I would compare you to some of the many teachers I've worked with: encouraging the gaming industry to innovate and develop into the art form we all know it is and can be, while being stern when the industry attempts to cheat the system, or becomes stale.

This comparison doesn't do you justice, I'm sure, but the point is that there will be a significant hole in the Escapist community that may never be filled again. However, I still thank you for the five years that you've put into this website and to your fans. Have a great time wherever you may end up!

On a side note: Who could possibly fill your shoes on the Podcat as the "Bullsh*t ref"? I've always enjoyed the way you quickly threw the BS flag at some of the things the other hosts say and forced them to qualify their opinions. It was magical to watch and made for a more informed and entertaining experience!

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Eric the Orange said:
caballitomalo said:

Yeah, we're kind of terrible about that. In fairness, it's usually more entertaining stuff than car registration (and we did apologize for it, because we knew we were being boring). But seriously, to call us "unprofessional"...sorry, no. Off our game, maybe, boring, sure, I'll take that. But unprofessional? That assumes we ever did this podcat any other way than just sitting down and chatting.
I think anyone who is a regular listener either loves the tangents or at least tolerates them.

I'm in the former category.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
For the first few minutes I thought I was listening to the car guy from the PS4 release.

Also I'll miss you Susan!
KazNecro said:
You've explained my sentiments exactly, thank you and thank you Susan for being around.

Wolle

Jan 10, 2008
caballitomalo said:

Why didn't you just skip to 11:23 if you feel that strongly about it? I'm pretty sure that's why they post the timings below the podcast.

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Eric the Orange said:
caballitomalo said:

Ok,I concede! =). "Unprofessional" was too big a word there. Really tough to give out constructive criticism (the internet being what it is) without coming out as an f-ing troll looking to start a flaming riot.

I think, if a little harshly, my point was made. I will keep an eye out for the time markers there next time. Don't know why I didn't notice them this time around, was distracted a bit(maybe the keyboard problem didn't help there either).

As a matter of fact I will listen to the rest of the cast later today. I love to hear you guy talk while playing some games. Please keep the good work and keep your game on.

Really sorry if I came out too strong on the subject.