Escapist Podcast: 101: More Pacific Rim & Game Franchises

Henriot

Dec 15, 2011
Christmas Melbourne. Plasma Wrist. Oh yeah...

I loved the 90s Godzilla. I'm not judging anyone... (Then again, I need to rewatch it).

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
My Jaeger is the Innocent Perth, with it's super move being Slam Ankle.
Man this makes me want to draw it.

Oh and I'd definitely be drifting with my brother, we'd pretty much be like that Australian team but with more swearing and anime references. We're quite in sync too, we often game together and if we're ever on a team together no one stands a chance.
Best friends for life!

Jakale

Feb 16, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
First, some facts about the T-rex.
While the arms were pretty much useless to the beast, they weren't as weak as you would think. They each could lift about 400lbs. Nothing compared to what it's legs could probably do, but that's not bad.

As for what they were used for? Well, so far scientists think if they were used for anything, it was sex.
Basically, they think the T-rex would use it's hands to "tickle" it's mate by gently scraping their scales.
Also, one other little know fact about the T-rex is that they were all killed by the Kaiju. ;D
There's a couple more theories about how the arms were used. Could have also been for holding females in place, holding prey, leveraging itself up after a fall.Could all be true, not like we use our arms for just one thing. Also, fun fact, they recently found a really good skeleton, now named Wyrex, with a vestigial third finger(on us it would be our middle finger).
Personally, I think the movie should have gone with the Permian extinction(90% of all life, terrestrial and marine, dead), but everyone knows the dinosaurs, so I'll let them have it.

I think one thing Warcraft has going for it is a decent introductory bit of lore and gameplay has already been turned into pretty decent books that connect pretty well with one another. Doesn't seem like it would be too tough to introduce the world with Tides of Darkness and flow from there to sequels and prequels.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I think that you could totally do a good 40K movie with a space marine cast. Specifically, basing it around Deathwatch. Because Deathwatch marines are pulled from different chapters, you could easily do an ensemble war movie with the different personalities (think Dirty Dozen, Inglorious Bastards, Saving Private Ryan and the like).

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Could you guys perhaps provide the mp3 in a more accessible way? I don't use itunes and the RSS link you've provided leads to a bunch of xml gibberish.

True if I text search through the RSS XML I can get to :

http://www.themis-media.com/videos/get/0/e15a29097a5b663fa43b258772591ecc/7754.mp3

But why on Earth can't you just link to the file on your website like every other civilized podcast? Or feed it through the Escapist advertising player if you want?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
You know, Pacific Rim isn't in the theaters yet here in Finland, so it would be nice if you would not spoil everything.
I skipped the part where you specifically talked about it, but you still brought it up anyway.

My fault, though, I suppose. I should have not listened to this at all.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
I would love to see more 40K games, good candidates would be a turn based Dark Heresy RPG and a Titan mech style game. Saying that, there are a few 40K games in development, but I'm not getting too excited given the questionable quality of the devs.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
WMDogma said:
Rassmusseum said:
So I've gotta ask: where's Tito? He's been gone for the past few of these and I'm starting to miss his goofy commentary on things.
Tito will be back eventually on the podcast - his wife just gave birth to their 2nd kid, so he's sort of in and out of the office.
I was curious about that too. Best wishes to him and the family.

Almack

May 1, 2012
So ma'idah I started judging you when you kept on calling PR a live action EVA then you brought up the 98 godzilla and i just lost all faith sorry.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Jäger: Weird Bergen
Special: Plasma Wrist

that doesn't sound too terrible... I think

We went to see PR yesterday, quite enjoyed it. But the hitting Kaiju with a ship was a tad too silly for me...

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Lieju said:
You know, Pacific Rim isn't in the theaters yet here in Finland, so it would be nice if you would not spoil everything.
I skipped the part where you specifically talked about it, but you still brought it up anyway.

My fault, though, I suppose. I should have not listened to this at all.
Don't worry, they didn't spoil the best bit where Brian Blessed voiced the Kaiju singing a Duet with Patrick Steward's Royal Navy captain character.

The Tutu probably was a bit much, but I'm surprised that either of them can still hit some of those notes.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Stiff Warrnambool with Blaster Hand. Ah Australian names, you so crazy. The name translates to "two swamps" or "ample water", sooo Two Stiff Swamps and an Ample Water Blaster?

Ironically I burnt my hand.

Dave Ciesluk

Jul 5, 2011
Love this Ep. Although, I am a huge Gundam fan and the talk of the suits was almost painful to listen to. Never saw Wing, but in all the series I have seen which is basically every one except Wing, there was no neural or mental link component. In the origional Mobile Suite Gundam, all the mobile suits were just that suits that anyone could pilot. The only reason many of the main characters seemed to have special abilities is because most of the pilots were Newtypes, evolved humans, who evolved because of humanities living in and colonization of space. Later on in the origional universal century stories in gundam I think they started doing more mental link suits like the psycho commu systems but I can't remember how connected the pilots were to the suit of the top of my head.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
Jaeger name is "Flying Sydney" (British columbia not Australia)
Special Move is "Electric Forhead"

Headbutting Kaiju in the Name of Canadian defence!!