Escapist Podcast: 103: Activision Blizzard & Phil Fish

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
103: Activision Blizzard & Phil Fish

This week, we discuss Activision Blizzard purchasing themselves back from Vivendi. We also talk about CGI vs practical effects in films and the Phil Fish fallout.

Watch Video

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
Only a few minutes in, but just wanted to express how good it is to hear Janelle on the podcast again. I hope she can stick around!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I completely agree with Janelle about Twitter. I don't know what it is about it that brings out such bile, but professionals who abuse it just need to grow the fuck up. I have no respect for people who blow up like that in a public forum.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
While some things Janelle said were correct, I feel that she's only going on about what happened on twitter and not the underlying cause of the situation. Beer essentially said that indie game makers are slaves to the "gaming journalism" companies and that if journalists want an interview or quote, the indie scene damn right most obey the journalists commands or their games get absolutely no coverage. And on Fish's side, you have a man that gets hate from everything. And we're not talking about 'You suck, you made a shitty game' type of hate, we're talking down right atrocious behavior. I may get flames, but we're talking about threats like 'You're an asshole, you should die in a fire' or 'Go choke on a bullet, you disgusting cretin' to horrible, horrible stuff such as 'You have a pretty child, how would you like it if I raped your child in front of you as you're tied down with two broken knees' or 'I know where you live, I can easily kill your family right now'.

There is a difference between hate-criticism and down right illegal action taken upon you and your family. The incident on twitter was absolutely stupid, but looking at the causes is what needs to be done. Beer's "entitlement complex" was downright stupid of him, and Fish's reaction to it was not smart, but the causes for them is all in the gaming industry at a whole. They're a symptom of a nasty institution, which goes deeper than just 'stop sending death threats'. How do you stop it? Sending the usernames of the threateners to the police?

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
yaaaaay! Janelle is here!

PD: Please, please, please address the 10:54 glitch that just doesn't seem to go away.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
shiajun said:

PD: Please, please, please address the 10:54 glitch that just doesn't seem to go away.
That keeps happening to me as well, but I use Opera, so I thought it was just me.

Also, who is this Janelle person? I'm new-ish to the podcast and her energy is... It certainly is.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
shiajun said:
I reported this problem to the IT team last week, and they've been working to try and track down the problem with this glitch and why it seems to happen for some people and not others. If you could, please hit up our bug report form [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/tech] with info on what browser you're using, whether if you're watching the podcast in high quality, etc., so they have more info on who's having the problem.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Great PodCat.
Also, about the Geese thing.
0_0 Geese are evil.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012

It's cuddly! It's intelligent! It can kill you anywhere! It's Octobear!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
shirkbot said:
shiajun said:

That keeps happening to me as well, but I use Opera, so I thought it was just me.

Also, who is this Janelle person? I'm new-ish to the podcast and her energy is... It certainly is.
She is the Content Partnerships Manager. Also, if I remember correctly from her other times on the podcat, she is also one of the escapist's first stops for legal advice.

She is also know as the office "Genki girl"(hyper happy lady).

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
& is back!

As a professional musician let me assure you, Williams' score will always be big themes; that's what John Williams does. (And that's all he does, but he does it really well.) Fear not, one thing about SWVII is guaranteed to be good.

Kristian Fischer

Aug 15, 2011
Imp Emissary said:
shirkbot said:
shiajun said:

She is the Content Partnerships Manager. Also, if I remember correctly from her other times on the podcat, she is also one of the escapist's first stops for legal advice.

She is also know as the office "Genki girl"(hyper happy lady).
You remember correctly. She is a lawyer.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
Another great episode.
But the change of host is causing the podcast to morph into a more controlled beast.
I mean, apart from the Bear/Shark diversion you guys stayed on topic. This will not do.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Good to have Janelle back, always appreciate her energy. As always good podcat.
captcha: never gonna give you up.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Janelle is back! You can just feel energy flowing!
Awesome podcat as usual guys.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
If you want some historical accuracy, ninjas wore royal blue to blend in with the sky as they hopped over rooftops

there is no record of them wearing black, only stage productions did this to hide them against a black backdrop.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
My first big game crush was probably also in Final Fantasy 4 (released as Final Fantasy 2 in North America). When Rydia came back after her time with the summoned monsters, she was just hot. Well, as hot as an early 16 bit girl could be.

LordOfInsanity said:
While some things Janelle said were correct, I feel that she's only going on about what happened on twitter and not the underlying cause of the situation. Beer essentially said that indie game makers are slaves to the "gaming journalism" companies and that if journalists want an interview or quote, the indie scene damn right most obey the journalists commands or their games get absolutely no coverage.
I agree with this. Like Fish or not, Beer was just as much of a jackass in this sitiation. In fact, Beer went out of his way to start things and, quite likely targeted Fish not just because Fish is a known indie developer but also because he knew how Fish would possibly react. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe there's any excuse for Fish's comments about Beer killing himself, but to throw everything at Fish's feet is ignoring a large part of the equation.

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
shirkbot said:
shiajun said:

Happens to as well on chrome.
Please fix this, it's quite annoying since my pc and mouse aren't always within reach and I have to skip around 10 seconds to make it work again.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
WMDogma said:
shiajun said:
I reported this problem to the IT team last week, and they've been working to try and track down the problem with this glitch and why it seems to happen for some people and not others. If you could, please hit up our bug report form [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/tech] with info on what browser you're using, whether if you're watching the podcast in high quality, etc., so they have more info on who's having the problem.
Done! :) Let's hope it gets resolved. It's not a big thing, and a simple click at 10:55 does the trick, but it is kind of odd thing.