Escapist Podcast: 111: Valve Annoucements

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
111: Valve Annoucements

This week, we discuss all the announcements from Valve about their new SteamOS, Steam Machine and controller.

Watch Video

Daedrin

Apr 17, 2010
It really entirely depends on the cut of meat! Something like a high grade tenderloin, you never want over medium rare. Ribeye is a bit fatter so the minimum is more like medium rare. Striploin you definitely want medium or more, as the fat cap is super thick but also integral to the flavour! The grade of meat alongside the cut also factors in, but most people won't notice unless it's really bad.

Also I'm only like 10 minutes in. But a certain Jon said someone would comment on it and no one else has.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
There are more accents in Britain than "posh English tw@" and "cockney", despite what American tv will have you believe. Every area, every city, hell even most of the villages have their own specific accents.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Deathlyphil said:
There are more accents in Britain than "posh English tw@" and "cockney", despite what American tv will have you believe. Every area, every city, hell even most of the villages have their own specific accents.
Agreed. to the point where other Britons cannot fully understand others from certain areas with such heavy accents. Also the slang used in various places,which constantly evolves, is another difficulty to overcome

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
Deathlyphil said:
Agreed. to the point where other Britons cannot fully understand others from certain areas with such heavy accents. Also the slang used in various places,which constantly evolves, is another difficulty to overcome
Exactly. Being Scottish, I find it highly amusing every time the BBC has to subtitle Glaswegians for the non-Scottish viewers.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Holly shit! TotalBiscuit, Jim Sterling and Yahtzee Croshaw on one panel?! 3 out of 4 of my favorite British people in one place! Add XboxAhoy and I'm gonna be the happiest puppy on the planet.

Hawk of the Plain

Jul 8, 2009
At the 8 minute mark, yes greg, Irish listeners, we do exist as it turns out :D

And yea, calling X beverage "Irish" to mean added alcohol is not a thing over here.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
Unless Valve find a way to somehow set standard tier equipments for their Steambox, it's not going to be any different than a PC, and developers would still rather develop for the consoles. Crytek was a PC only developer, now they're making a game (Ryse) exclusively for Xbone.

As for the GTA V review, I do agree the main characters are bad people, but that doesn't make the game suck. Moderating the comments for flame war or troll bait is fine, but I do feel sometimes the forum is over-moderated. That's why I rarely post on this forum.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
There is no way I can express how badly I wish I could go to the expo. Please record all then Panels, especially that TB / Yahtzee / Jim Sterling Panel.

Bryan Hinson

Mar 18, 2013
Did everyone forget that most TV's have PC inputs? Or that most Gaming PC's have HDMI cables? I haven't been following the Steam Machine very closely, but i can already play from my rocker, office chair, or couch already. Why would i need to buy a new piece of hardware just so i can do what i can already do? The only way i can see me getting a Steam Machine is that all PC games stop supporting Windows. I do like the idea of the controller though, I'm looking forward to getting that.

Then again, i could be missing the point... If i am, please reply, i would love to have a good reason to buy this. It sounds like a great idea for Indie developers and i would love to get behind it.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
I am sadly also not able to attend the expo this year, though next year will be a forsure.

@Bryan Hinson - The advantage of the steam box is that some people may not have their PC beside their TV. I am one such person, as in my new apartment my PC is a good 20 feet away from my TV. With something like the "streaming" steambox which Jon had eluded to, you can stream a game over your wifi to play on your TV WITHOUT having to have a ton of cables running through your living room. . . . or at least 1 less cable.

As to the Meat discussion, I have a quick question.

Do you prefer your steak (medium rare for me) with or without any seasoning?

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
I've got to agree with the conversation on moderating, around 1 hour in. This is one of the few places I've been able to have a conversation where I've questioned someones idea and they've explained their thinking, instead of getting defensive or abusive.