Escapist Podcast: 132: OKCupid, Mozilla & Other Really Poor Business Choices

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
132: OKCupid, Mozilla & Other Really Poor Business Choices

This week, we discuss OKCupid asking customers to stop using Mozilla. We also talk about April Fools around the gaming community and Dragon Age: Inquisitions claim at having 40 endings.

Watch Video

Okoi

Mar 26, 2013
Janelle yeay! Your happy greetings and return to the podcat have now made my day.

silentNate

Apr 1, 2013
I'm going to presume that Janelle was raised Catholic... as someone from a similar background I can only say that I totally disagree with her on the whole Mozilla thing. OK Cupid have made a great deal of good publicity out of this but I feel they were right to make a stand.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I think you guys were thinking of Toshiro Mifune, and I agree.

That guy is awesome and Seven Samurai is my favorite Akira Kurosawa movie that he was in.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
silentNate said:
I'm going to presume that Janelle was raised Catholic... as someone from a similar background I can only say that I totally disagree with her on the whole Mozilla thing. OK Cupid have made a great deal of good publicity out of this but I feel they were right to make a stand.
Yes, as a first generation American born in Brooklyn, NY to an Italian family, I was raised Catholic :) But I'm not sure what my parents' religion has to do with my views on the difference between corporate free speech and individual free speech, or equal right to employment. I never said I agreed with anyone's personal position, just that the entire situation puts a bad taste in my mouth from multiple perspectives. As a lawyer, I tend to play devil's advocate a lot.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Scorpid said:
Is Janelle a real life manic pixie girl ?! =O
She's the acknowledged Genki Girl [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenkiGirl].

silentNate

Apr 1, 2013
s0osleepie said:
silentNate said:
Yes, as a first generation American born in Brooklyn, NY to an Italian family, I was raised Catholic :) But I'm not sure what my parents' religion has to do with my views on the difference between corporate free speech and individual free speech, or equal right to employment. I never said I agreed with anyone's personal position, just that the entire situation puts a bad taste in my mouth from multiple perspectives. As a lawyer, I tend to play devil's advocate a lot.
His donation was made public; kinda glad it was and that someone made a stand against it. I appreciate your answer however; a lawyer should always try to stay neutral. ;)

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
No. Just no. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. If you spend money to prevent freedom of others and people working for you and your costumers are not comfortable with that then out you go.
Listen if you are a homophobe, I can't stop you but if you actively try and stop people from gaining rights you are obstructing justice and democracy
You are picking on a group constantly harrased and with a high rate of suicide. You deserve to lose your job.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
Guy was a CEO, that's rep of a company. They don't want a rep of homophobia, then the CEO should reflect that. That being said, maybe putting him out on his ass was a bit much. Maybe a demotion to a non rep position might have been less impact on the whole freedom of speech thing then firing his ass. That way his private beliefs wouldn't come into conflict with the companies aims.

Though his private beliefs aren't cool.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Just for a little clarification with the "40 different endings for Dragon Age", there really won't be 40 massively different endings for the game. Here is what Mark Darrah said on the BioWare boards.

Hey guys,
I just want to clarify the endings in Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dragon Age Inquisition's endings variations come in three levels
1. Minor variations based upon choices you make in the game or previous games. There are HUNDREDS of these variations.
2. Major variations based upon larger decisions in the game. There are about forty of these
3. Completely unique endings. There are a small number of these
Link

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Varya said:
No. Just no. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. If you spend money to prevent freedom of others and people working for you and your costumers are not comfortable with that then out you go.
Listen if you are a homophobe, I can't stop you but if you actively try and stop people from gaining rights you are obstructing justice and democracy
You are picking on a group constantly harrased and with a high rate of suicide. You deserve to lose your job.
Umm yes actually Freedom of speech means you shouldn't be punished for your speech. Otherwise it isn't freedom.

I ask you what if it was the otherway around?

What if you could get fired for supporting same sex marriage?

Would you still be saying that freedom of speech is freedom from consequences?

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Deadcyde said:
Guy was a CEO, that's rep of a company. They don't want a rep of homophobia, then the CEO should reflect that. That being said, maybe putting him out on his ass was a bit much. Maybe a demotion to a non rep position might have been less impact on the whole freedom of speech thing then firing his ass. That way his private beliefs wouldn't come into conflict with the companies aims.

Though his private beliefs aren't cool.
he was also the Co Founder of the company. Again even though I do think his opinion is wrong people shouldn't get fired because of policital beleifs. Would you want people to get fired because they supported same sex marraige?

What bothers me is the group that does this. They research campaign donations and anyone they find that dontates to people who they don't like they try to bring down. Of course they themselves stay anonymous so they take advantage of the freedom they are denying their victims

Of course what do you think Brendan Eich thinks of homosexuality now?

Seroiusly how stupid can you be? He doesn't like same sex marraige so lets get this millionare fired so he will be out of a job and still have millions of dollars to spend....

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
You're all correct about Statham's accent in all his recent films. It's his version of an american accent mangled by his normal strong London rasp.

See Snatch or Lock Stock for normal Stath'

shtoops

Sep 1, 2013
OkCupid was except using free speech as an individual. After all, under United States law, Corporations ARE people.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
OK I consider myself a pretty gigantic Bioware fanboy....But I still wouldn't go as far as defending the Mass Effect 3 ending (I deliberately say ending and not endings). IT's just so bad, and breaks some of the most fundamental principles of basic storytelling, it probably doesn't help that halfway through development the good writers were fired / resigned.

I don't buy the whole "It's the journey not the destination" argument. If not for the destination is the journey not meaningless?