Escapist Podcast: 166: Game of the Year & Biggest Disappointment

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
166: Game of the Year & Biggest Disappointment

This week, we discuss what was good and bad for gaming in 2014.

Watch Video

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
If there is a lesson for 2014, both for game journalism and for Escapist. It would be this...

Go back and watch some of the hype done for Destiny including hype on this site. Then go watch this podcast from about 9:00

Just try to maintain some objectivity when promoting or reporting on upcoming games, that is the lesson of 2014. Save yourselves from looking like tools, or looking like your on the major developers xmas gift list and be a bit more objective going in so you don't look so hypocritical coming out.

I basically expected Destiny would be exactly what it was. I too am surprised its still got players. But this site was a shrine to Destiny prior to release, http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/previews/10409-Destiny-Is-Masterful-Game-Making-from-Bungie your best journalists had a lot of early gameplay, now you suddenly see the light....how does this happen?

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Razorback0z said:
If there is a lesson for 2014, both for game journalism and for Escapist. It would be this...

Go back and watch some of the hype done for Destiny including hype on this site. Then go watch this podcast from about 9:00

Just try to maintain some objectivity when promoting or reporting on upcoming games, that is the lesson of 2014. Save yourselves from looking like tools, or looking like your on the major developers xmas gift list and be a bit more objective going in so you don't look so hypocritical coming out.

I basically expected Destiny would be exactly what it was. I too am surprised its still got players. But this site was a shrine to Destiny prior to release, http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/previews/10409-Destiny-Is-Masterful-Game-Making-from-Bungie your best journalists had a lot of early gameplay, now you suddenly see the light....how does this happen?
The reason it happens when a place like The Escapist starts to look forward to a game like Destiny is because they are like us and believe the hype. I am not saying its an excuse, but they are like us and can only get excited over what they see and they saw the same things as us. I bought into the hype and I think that is why Destiny is probably my biggest disappointment, not because the game is bad but because it didn't live up to the hype they created around it. Now if I didn't buy into the hype I am pretty sure I would have enjoyed the game a lot more.

Basically for me Destiny is Bungie's Dragon Age 2.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Razorback0z said:

Don't forget about Titanfall and how it was going to "revolutionize gaming" or whatever.

Oh and on that "mine" card...

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Razorback0z said:

Yeah, how dare they for getting excited by a game. Those jerks.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
No new PC games really? How did you forget Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun + Dragonfall expansion to name a few good PC RPG's.

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
As a massive Civ fan I do feel Beyond Earth gets unfairly maligned. Is it as good as Civ V or IV? Hell no. Is it as good as those games without their many expansions? Hell yes, it's loads better (Well, maybe not Civ IV). Is the difference in Affinity levels you talk about any different from when you roflstomp an enemy Civ that doesn't have gunpowder yet? Hell no. The wonders and victory screens are disappointing I'll grant you, but they've been disappointing since Civ V so no change there. I've racked up about 250 hours in Civ Beyond Earth and enjoyed it loads more than I ever did Vanilla Civ V. If nothing else Firaxis are exceedingly good at listening to feedback, so keep your fingers crossed if you were a bit meh about it.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I'm showing up out of the blue to ask why this podcast isn't going up on itunes anymore? The most recent itunes episode I have available is ep 141.

Thanks.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
After over a month, this isn't coming back, is it?

RIP, Podcat?