Escapist Podcast: 167: Assemble the Team

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
167: Assemble the Team

With the recent announcements of our changes in staff and bringing the podcast back together, we thought it would be a good idea to re-introduce ourselves to everyone... and then argue about the good old days of vanilla World of Warcraft.

Watch Video

Okoi

Mar 26, 2013
As this came up within the podcast, I still have the newspaper delivered to my door. Only once did I make the mistake though of forgetting to give the delivery person a holiday card and little 'thank you'.

Aug 31, 2012
You know...I noticed this in Angry Joe's Grey Goo preview; South African. Those are South African (or thereabouts) accents. Not Aussie. Sorry, that was just bugging me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I have a Demon Hunter and I'm a little bummed that I have to do a rebuild for her. Granted, I'm not in bad shape as Janelle, but I'm still a little annoyed about it. It was quite jarring to not playing for a while and then trying to get used to the new patch that was in place. I guess that teaches me to not play D3 every now and then. :p

I will say so far I don't mind the changes so much and I've noticed a few little improvements with my DH.

On the whole, it's not bad from what I've experienced thus far.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I have a Demon Hunter and I'm a little bummed that I have to do a rebuild for her. Granted, I'm not in bad shape as Janelle, but I'm still a little annoyed about it. It was quite jarring to not playing for a while and then trying to get used to the new patch that was in place. I guess that teaches me to not play D3 every now and then. :p

I will say so far I don't mind the changes so much and I've noticed a few little improvements with my DH.

CJ here - you can check out my guide [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L0HHMamq6Q&list=UURl31PWkfF0a3j3hiDRaCGA] on the near gear and skills to optimize your DH for the new patch.

Glad to know we've still got some D3 players in our community! I'm not sure it's fair to impose build-change patches on people in a game that doesn't really need to be multiplayer - I'd love the option to rollback to an old version, play offline, and have fun on a now-defunct build - but I think it's a change that makes the game more fun for the majority of players.

Spankable

Apr 8, 2009
This seems very disappointing news. I loved the TV & movie podcast + Science podcast & now they are been scraped, coming on top of the loss of Jim & the scaling back of reviews means there is a lot less content.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Rhykker said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

CJ here - you can check out my guide [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L0HHMamq6Q&list=UURl31PWkfF0a3j3hiDRaCGA] on the near gear and skills to optimize your DH for the new patch.

Glad to know we've still got some D3 players in our community! I'm not sure it's fair to impose build-change patches on people in a game that doesn't really need to be multiplayer - I'd love the option to rollback to an old version, play offline, and have fun on a now-defunct build - but I think it's a change that makes the game more fun for the majority of players.
I play a demon hunter and have more hours then I care to admit playing Diablo 3 as well. I am actually enjoying the changes to the Demon Hunter I stopped playing for it wasn't a lot of fun. I guess it was just my build, but I didn't need to make many changes to my build or gear after the patch released, just needed to craft an Ancient Legendary Crossbow.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Spankable said:
This seems very disappointing news. I loved the TV & movie podcast + Science podcast & now they are been scraped, coming on top of the loss of Jim & the scaling back of reviews means there is a lot less content.
I understand how you feel, but at the same time having five different podcasts more often then not they had topics that dragged on for they were trying to fill time. I am hoping there might be "special editions" of the podcasts that can be dedicated to specific topics such as "Movies and Television" when something big happens in that area such as award shows and whatnot.

My hope was that they could have collapsed into two podcasts with the sections that had a good overlap, but that might happen again if they feel there is enough content for it.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Woot! No offence but I never was the greatest fan of the split podcasts. Now please bump the length back up as well, so there is some time for shenanigans between topics again!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Rhykker said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I did play on PC for a long while before I gave up. Then I started playing the PS3 version and I practically started there. Really surprised at how smooth the controls are while playing it.

Anyways, that's actually a damn good build, and I have noticed that in the beginning I was running out of hatred like crazy. It was irritating, but I've always managed to give hang in there and not get myself screwed too much. I'll have to give that build a try since I'm not really sure what to actually do with my DH now that the patch was live for a while.

Thanks! :D

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Nice to see all the various facets of Escapist business coming back together. Also this has been our reminder that Janelle's SUPER ENTHUSIASM was sorely missed, good to see her returning.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
Ophiuchus said:
Nice to see all the various facets of Escapist business coming back together. Also this has been our reminder that Janelle's SUPER ENTHUSIASM was sorely missed, good to see her returning.
Thanks! I'm excited to be back :)

Browncoat86

Mar 27, 2008
I'm sad to see the other podcasts go, I was a faithful listener to the Comics and Cosplay and Movies and TV podcasts. Oh well, still glad to still be a part of the Escapist community. I'll just have to dive into iTunes to find other places for the comic and tv talk.

MacabreHeart

May 19, 2014
Another person to add to the people being really sad about the split podcasts going. Always in the past it felt like topics outside of video games weren't covered very well in the discussion and so having each topic area separate really meant that we'd be able to have the 30 minute talk about something like "Minorities within Cinema". I am still a big fan of this website but I think we really lost something here.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
MacabreHeart said:
Another person to add to the people being really sad about the split podcasts going. Always in the past it felt like topics outside of video games weren't covered very well in the discussion and so having each topic area separate really meant that we'd be able to have the 30 minute talk about something like "Minorities within Cinema". I am still a big fan of this website but I think we really lost something here.
I am definitely going to give the format a try again, but I do agree I think having two podcasts would have worked with a TV and Movie & Science and Tech podcast and then have the other three into another would work, but it really depends on how many people listen to the podcasts themselves which I think led to them merging back into one.

jimrichardsbh

Jan 17, 2012
I'm going to miss moviebob on the movies and TV podcast - it was the only one i really listened to - not feeling very excited about this new format, the "escapist" podcast started sucking after Susan Arendt left.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Zykon TheLich said:
You know...I noticed this in Angry Joe's Grey Goo preview; South African. Those are South African (or thereabouts) accents. Not Aussie. Sorry, that was just bugging me.
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I had to be sure before I poked my head in here. You are 100% correct. I confirmed that they are, in fact, South African accents. I've only ever personally known one gentleman from SA, and his accent was as British as it gets for some reason, so I didn't even consider this possibility during the discussion.

I do appreciate the correction, though, because I would have felt particularly silly if that error made it into my review! (Which should be coming up tomorrow. Finally.)

Spankable said:
To you and everybody else lamenting the loss of the other podcasts, I just want to apologize. I knew it wouldn't be to everybody's liking, but I firmly believe that it's the best decision for The Escapist. I still think that it's going to be a positive change in the long run, but I understand where you're coming from.

Rest assured, we have every intention of continuing to cover topics from every channel, including some of your favorite people that frequented the channelcasts. We won't be hitting every channel every week, but this isn't just going to be a Video Games-only podcast like we did before the channelcasts. You might see a bit of a gaming bent, but we will absolutely cover other topics.

With that in mind, if there's something in particular you'd like us to discuss from any of the channels, or if you'd like to pose some questions, please do reach out to us at Podcast [at] escapistmag.com and we'll be happy to consider including it in our next cast! Alternately, just hit me up on Twitter. I'm @encaen and I do enjoy a good 140-character conversation!