Escapist Podcast: Bonus: Game of Thronescast, "First of His Name"

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Bonus: Game of Thronescast, "First of His Name"

Due to technical issues, this podcast is audio-only. In this bonus Podcast, The Escapist crew talks about the Game of Thrones episode "First of His Name." Obviously, there will be spoilers. Hodor!

Watch Video

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Regarding the HBO Go numbers, the reason they're so low is that it's only available in the U.S. I'm in Toronto, just north of the border, and we don't get it here, so it's TV for us and everyone outside the U.S.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Totally agree with Greg Tito on the Dorne stuff. A bunch of fractured plot-lines that lead to a reveal that ultimately goes nowhere.

Theon Greyjoy doesn't end up at Castle Black. When he escapes, he flees south and runs into Stannis' army. A teaser chapter from Winds of Winter has Stannis deciding that Theon is to be executed for what he "did" to Bran and Rickon.

Also, the Kingsguard in Dorne falls in love with the Princess, not one of the Sand snakes. Which would have been an interesting through-line...until he's unceremoniously killed about 1/4 of the way through the Dorne stuff. Man, I don't like the Dorne chapters.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
el_kabong said:
Totally agree with Greg Tito on the Dorne stuff. A bunch of fractured plot-lines that lead to a reveal that ultimately goes nowhere.

Theon Greyjoy doesn't end up at Castle Black. When he escapes, he flees south and runs into Stannis' army. A teaser chapter from Winds of Winter has Stannis deciding that Theon is to be executed for what he "did" to Bran and Rickon.

Also, the Kingsguard in Dorne falls in love with the Princess, not one of the Sand snakes. Which would have been an interesting through-line...until he's unceremoniously killed about 1/4 of the way through the Dorne stuff. Man, I don't like the Dorne chapters.
Dorne sounded neat and I was excited to finally read about it. But now I can't remember shit besides someone lost an ear and crying in a tower. But it never felt important.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I wanted to point this out last week but forgot, Vanderwall is already Dutch for "of(or from) the wall" so the of Vanderwall title is really weird to read.

OT: I agree with whoever it was who(it's been a few hours since I listened to the GoTcast) said that Oberyn would be staffing the ship with his own people. Sending a ship loyal to the Lannisters as a gift to the Martell's hostage/guest would be too obvious. Or maybe Oberyn is planning to just sink it and get rid of a bunch of Lannisters, that's also an option.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
On the comment about what littlefinger's end game is:
I don't think he wants to sit on the iron throne.
I do think he wants to control the iron throne, but I feel that he understands the person actually sitting in the seat has a remarkably short lifespan, but controlling the person sitting on the throne would likely be better

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Weird. I don't like the non video podcasts even though I always have it on in the background when I'm doing something else...

Anyway, I liked the Dorne chapters. There was just enough of them to give me a picture and background of what the characters coming from Dorne are like. I'm thinking that they'll (meaning the Sand Snakes) play merry hell in King's Landing when they arrive.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Psykoma said:
On the comment about what littlefinger's end game is:
I don't think he wants to sit on the iron throne.
I do think he wants to control the iron throne, but I feel that he understands the person actually sitting in the seat has a remarkably short lifespan, but controlling the person sitting on the throne would likely be better
Littlefinger has had 2 hand killed. He doesn't want to control the throne (which is what the hand effectively does) he wants the throne for himself.

Though ultimately i don't think he can. No one likes him and he doesn't trust anyone. So no one will ever actually follow him if he was to get the throne.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
I agree with Alex and Tito. Cersei is being nice to Marjorie because she thinks she needs House Tyrell's money. She's being tactical and attempting to secure some bank.

P.S. Daenerys is still the hottest.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
ok I really need to re-read the books. Everything you were talking about at the end there sounds familiar but I can't remember any of it.