Escapist Podcast: Bonus: Game of Thronescast, S3E3 and E4

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Bonus: Game of Thronescast, S3E3 and E4

Warning: This podcast will contain spoilers for episodes 3 and 4 from Season 3 of Game of Thrones!

In this special bonus podcast, The Escapist crew talks about the most recent episodes of Game of Thrones - "Walk of Punishment" and "And Now His Watch Is Ended."

Watch Video

Fugitive Penguin

Aug 14, 2010
Glad this got posted-- I love these GoT discussions and I can't wait to sit through this one.

A minor site/meta nitpick, though: The front page was taunting me with this podcast for at least 3 hours before the video was finally available. Before it was available, both the video page and this forum page just redirected to a 404 page. What was going on? CDN quirks?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Up until this last episode I never really thought of Littlefinger as a major threat to the kingdoms. Sure he manipulated a lotta crap behind the scenes, but he never really made a play for power until little Sansa, all alone without a worthy suitor. I'm curious how this is going to develop, as I was kinda hoping she'd be crawling through the muck and backroads with Clegane at this point. That last scene with Daenerys and the unsullied, best scene this season so far. It could easily have been a season ender or mid-season cliffhanger for any other show. I hope she ends up on the front lines once the walkers finally start to invade. Dragon fire would make a crazy first salvo against the undead hordes, or a welcome saving grace.

Rassmusseum

Oct 11, 2010
Glad to see this is finally up properly, here's hoping it's working on iTunes also. Also, I'm very glad to see Alex back on the podcast crew for this one. He had excellent contributions to the discussion in the previous episodes he's been in!

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
As someone who has not read the books, I also thought that Margery is not a good person.
Not because of her crossbow scene with Jeoffry, that was a pretty obvious manipulation, but because of the fact that I only ever saw her once (the "I want to be the queen" scene) where I thought she was truthfull.
Right now she appears to be lying, all the time.
Her goal is power, that much is clear, and I understand what she is doing with Jeoffry and with the people, but I don't understand her plan for Sansa. Sansa can't marry Loras, because he is going to be a Kingsguard, is he not? So thats a lie.
But controlling Sansa may mean having some influence over the north, provided that Robb is defeated. So maybe thats her angle...

Margery is a great character, I love her, but I think Sansa is even less safe with her than she would have been with Littlefinger. Especially now that Margery can blackmail her with the whole "The King is a monster" thing. That was a bad move.
Sansa should really, really have gone with the Hound.
She has no business playing at politics.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Crystalite said:
As someone who has not read the books, I also thought that Margery is not a good person.
Not because of her crossbow scene with Jeoffry, that was a pretty obvious manipulation, but because of the fact that I only ever saw her once (the "I want to be the queen" scene) where I thought she was truthfull.

Right now she appears to be lying, all the time.
Her goal is power, that much is clear, and I understand what she is doing with Jeoffry and with the people, but I don't understand her plan for Sansa. Sansa can't marry Loras, because he is going to be a Kingsguard, is he not? So thats a lie.
But controlling Sansa may mean having some influence over the north, provided that Robb is defeated. So maybe thats her angle...

Margery is a great character, I love her, but I think Sansa is even less safe with her than she would have been with Littlefinger. Especially now that Margery can blackmail her with the whole "The King is a monster" thing. That was a bad move.
Sansa should really, really have gone with the Hound.
She has no business playing at politics.
As someone who has also not read the books, here's my take on the situation: It's not a matter of Sansa being safer with Littlefinger, which she more than likely would, but remember what Varus told Olenna Tyrell about Littlefinger becoming very powerful and dangerous to the kingdoms if he and Sansa would get together. I'm assuming that Olenna understands this and told Margaery to fabricate this little lie to Sansa so that she'd turn down going with Littlefinger in hopes of being with Loras, therefore not giving Littlefinger the power he seeks from her.

At least, that's my theory.

EDIT: Also, I definitely think she made the right choice not going with the hound. I mean, we're seeing how things are going with him recently.

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
As someone who has also not read the books, here's my take on the situation: It's not a matter of Sansa being safer with Littlefinger, which she more than likely would, but remember what Varus told Olenna Tyrell about Littlefinger becoming very powerful and dangerous to the kingdoms if he and Sansa would get together. I'm assuming that Olenna understands this and told Margaery to fabricate this little lie to Sansa so that she'd turn down going with Littlefinger in hopes of being with Loras, therefore not giving Littlefinger the power he seeks from her.

At least, that's my theory.

EDIT: Also, I definitely think she made the right choice not going with the hound. I mean, we're seeing how things are going with him recently.
Thats a good theory I think. But I don't quite know what having Sansa would do for Littlefinger. Ostensibly, it could give him power over the Starks, but that did not work for Jeoffry, as Robb still went to war with him regardless. As long as Sansa remains in the capital she is a hostage of the Lannisters, and she has been told that Jeoffry will still regard her as his plaything. I don't know if anything could be worse for her.
And maybe Littlefinger just wants to get in her pants, which would still be better than Jeoffry, imho.
If she had gone with the Hound, she would be with the Brotherhood without Banners now. That doesn't seem so bad, they have been shown to be a righteous bunch, at least as far as we know. And she would be with Arya.

And Sansa believing the whole "we are sisters now" shtick just made me want to facepalm. That girl needs to learn her lessons.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Fugitive Penguin said:
Glad this got posted-- I love these GoT discussions and I can't wait to sit through this one.

A minor site/meta nitpick, though: The front page was taunting me with this podcast for at least 3 hours before the video was finally available. Before it was available, both the video page and this forum page just redirected to a 404 page. What was going on? CDN quirks?
MMMowman said:
Yeah same I kept refreshing the page waiting for it to become playable.
Sorry about that! I goofed up and had set the Thronescast to publish at 6, but had set it for the next day accidentally.

Goldjit

Jun 21, 2011
It was clear that Daenerys was playing him and knew everything Kraznys. Between my friends we were just betting on how he would die; Fire, Swear, Dagger and I remember at one point a good argument about Daenerys simply pushing him down some stairs. It would of be ironically funny.

Jaime losing his hand was the first really shock I have got in years. I genuine did not see it coming solely because that arm was his life or rather his whole character so losing it felt like I lost the his final battle to the death (as I saw him dieing in battle). In a way, I feel like I lost his come-upping (that's how you spell that right?) from the characters he wronged. Do you feel justified when characters suffer away from the ones they suffered at? Feel like I could of worded that better.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Regarding Tywin always being working when people go to talk to him:
I wonder what suuuuper huge event he could possibly be busy orchestrating at this point in the story..

I don't think Robbs changed marriage matters at all to the feasibility of Tywin's plan. Tywins plan only 'really' needs the Freys and the Boltons to set up the red wedding, the westerlings are pretty much just more icing on an already iced cake.

I don't think the show is going to bother introducing a whole new named character whose entire point is just having a certain type of blood, I think Melisandre is heading to Gendry, the only other established person in the world with Stannis' blood. I think Thoros would take Davos' position of opposing using Gendry's blood and argue with Melisandre about it and honestly, I'd look forward to that.

The opening credits are like the best on tv!

I don't really like TV Mance though, he needs more trickery and merriment. I basically expected a personality somewhat like Wesley from Princess Bride. :/

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Minor correction. Dany did not entirely sack Astapor. She tore off the shackles and left it in the control of a council of former slaves.
She liberates and rases Yunaki (next episode? ) which is where she gets the huge following of former slaves.

On the subject of Mel I am worried that they have rolled Edric and Gendry together which may hamper Gendrys arc but could allow him to be around much longer.

Glad that the 2 major beats of this season so far were absolutely nailed and only the Stannis story is really annoying in its changes.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I like the podcast but one constructive criticism I have to give is that they should have camera shots of everyone from chest up looking at a camera. The video right now looks kinda shoe horned and it is hard to see people's expressions due to lighting issues. It just doesn't feel as engaging when watching it.

Again love the podcast, small criticism. :)

Pepsik

Aug 30, 2011
Just wanted to say, that as a non-reader (don't judge me) I really expected Khaleesi to understand every word. After all, the subtitles were a strong hint (why the subtitles, when there is an interpreter "translating"), or maybe that's just me watching one too many tv shows, something just screams: here can be a big suprise.

btw. Susan picking on Jaime "Oh the kingslayer...", very creepy and unsettling :)

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
The Escapist Staff said:
Bonus: Game of Thronescast, S3E3 and E4

Warning: This podcast will contain spoilers for episodes 3 and 4 from Season 3 of Game of Thrones!

In this special bonus podcast, The Escapist crew talks about the most recent episodes of Game of Thrones - "Walk of Punishment" and "And Now His Watch Is Ended."

Watch Video
Aw, man! We had to stop watching a few minutes in because of the spoiler warning...

Y'know, since you have video now, you could maybe make a "Spoiler Hat," and someone puts it on when there are spoilers being discussed. That way, we can skip ahead to when we don't see the hat on anyone. Easy visual cue for when it's "safe"...

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I wasn't certain if your guys had noticed, but since this episode confirms that we've got some Rome fans like me: Edmure Tully (the guy who kept missing with the fire arrow) is Brutus. I like how HBO is bringing in actors from their previous series... I can't wait for Pullo and Vorenius to show up!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Boring as whale shit?! I mean sure, the Iron Islands stuff, Sam Stuff, and Brienne chapters are pretty slow but the rest was great. I found the Cersei and Jamie chapters to be extremely entertaining. I'd say it was about half and half for me. Half was pretty dull (but necessary for setting up other things) and the other half was extremely entertaining (even if not THAT much happens).

But ya, book 4 was definitely the more slow/frustrating book.

Edit: BTW, Ramsay knowing about the Stark children being alive is not an addition to the show. In the books, Ramsay disguises himself as Reek and pretends to be in service to Theon. He is the one who comes up with the whole miller boys plan.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I've liked Jaime's character for quite some time already actually. Coster-Waldau's face if just so trustworthy (like in Hodejegerne, any norwegians reading that might know what i'm talking about).

And i've not read the books, but i felt it was pretty obvious Daenerys knew what that guy was saying. And really when she said she would give away one of her dragons i was just like "dude, you're gonna get torched so bad". I really liked that she's coming into a badass role now and i'm curious what her actions are going to be right after this, but i get the sense that there's a timeskip in the future (could readers tell me if i'm right?) 'cause Arya needs to grow up and become an awesome assassin, and Daenerys needs to travel and grow her dragons.

Oh, and the podcasts are great. Love to hear other people talk about it who picked up some of the stuff i missed, and some stuff from the book that might fill in stuff or shed more light on character. Informative and entertaining, gotta love it!