Escapist Podcast: Bonus: Game of Thronescast!

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Darth Sea Bass said:
Wait, what Arstan Whitebeard is Barristan Selmy? I totally never picked that up in the book. I mean wouldn't Jorah of maybe mentioned that little detail as I'm assuming they must have known or been aware of each other before Jorah was exiled.
Jorah had some idea, he was aware that Arstan was familiar, but couldn't figure it out at the time they met.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Josh12345 said:
I've only watched the show so would this be safe to watch?
Sure, should be. I mean, we'll be talking about stuff that is in the book but not the show, but we don't really jump ahead too much, or anything. We don't, for example, say "Oh, such and such person's death must be happening later this season!!" We mostly just discuss the first two episodes and how they relate (or don't) to the books.
And to be fair, if you haven't read the books, all the names you guys threw around really don't mean much :p

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
MorganL4 said:
Where was Janelle? It's always fun to get her perspective on GoT because she hasn't read the books.... I was disappointed that she wasn't included in the podcat.
We had hoped to include her in this podcast, but as she is currently out of the office in a different state, our attempts to patch her in via Google Chat didn't quite work out this time. We're hoping to work something out for the next one!

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
With regards to whitewalker/battle at the fist of the first men.
I remember that while yes, some of the battle in the books was described by sams perspective as he was trying to get off the ravens (and I am a bit annoyed that they didn't let him have that), most of the fight was only depicted in 'flashbacks' as the nights watch were making their way back to the wall.
In the first two episodes Sam is even more stricken and terrified than usual (even for sam!), I think that might be because he's already seen (which we know) and killed an other, and the fight will be shown as many in the books were - in flashbacks.

Edit: With regards to the selmy/whitebeard reveal: The show didn't deny the audience the opportunity of the slow reveal, the fact it was a show could not offer it. The reason the character was hidden for so long in the book wasn't because of strong belwas, it was because it was a written work, and the only thing you can pick up about the character is what is written.
But in a show, what would have happened is 5 minutes after Arstan was introduced, every audience member would be like "Um, okay, it's that barristan guy. He was like world famous, why doesn't anyone recognize him?"

Double Edit: I really don't agree that the comments saying the brotherhood without banners setup wasn't properly set up. At least half of what happened at Harrenhal in season 2 had to do with talking about the brotherhood without banners.

There were a few scenes that referenced the brothers in Harrenhal, example: (from start to 1:16ish)
That scene alone I think sets the brotherhood up enough for what we got in s3e2.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I didn't mind the audio. Could be better though.

I really like this podcast really enjoyed it. I feel kinda the same about this season I'm a bit....Blergh. It's differing from the books and I don't like it! Pretty much agree with everything you guys came up with.

Tyrion + Bronn = Awesome.

Jon is my favourite character in the books but not so much in the series. He just seems a bit...limp

That Tyrion/Twyin scene...brilliant. You can actually see Tyrion growing darker in that scene.

Poor Theon. Poor stupid bastard. I'll be interested to see how they deal with his storyline.

I personally think that the series will 'mix up' the books POV and be more faithful to the actual timeline of the story vis a vis switching POV much quicker temporally than in the books where Martin wasn't prone to do that so much, staying with one character for the passing of several weeks at a time.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
How insane is that I totally love Thronecasts, despite the fact that I totally am not interested in Game of Thrones?
Not books, not series, not games.
But I love these podcasts, when podpeople talk about something I know nothing about :)

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
grey_space said:
Poor Theon. Poor stupid bastard. I'll be interested to see how they deal with his storyline.
I *think* I have a pretty good idea of what'll happen.

It has to do with Ramsay Snow.
on the wiki page, it says Iwan Rheon was cast to play Ramsay. Here's a picture of him.
Who from Theon's scene does that look like?
Maybe the guy who was sweeping and promised to help Theon break out?

I think what'll happen is that Ramsay will help theon break out, but during the breakout, or shortly after once theon thinks he's free, there'll be the huge "Reveal", and that will mark the true start of Theon's 'training' into Reek.

Though it also could be a huge fourth wall breaking misdirection and Iwan Rheon wasn't 'actually' cast to play Ramsay, but the show just let that information go out..

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Psykoma said:
grey_space said:
I *think* I have a pretty good idea of what'll happen.

It has to do with Ramsay Snow.
on the wiki page, it says Iwan Rheon was cast to play Ramsay. Here's a picture of him.
Who from Theon's scene does that look like?
Maybe the guy who was sweeping and promised to help Theon break out?

I think what'll happen is that Ramsay will help theon break out, but during the breakout, or shortly after once theon thinks he's free, there'll be the huge "Reveal", and that will mark the true start of Theon's 'training' into Reek.

Though it also could be a huge fourth wall breaking misdirection and Iwan Rheon wasn't 'actually' cast to play Ramsay, but the show just let that information go out..
Ohhhh....That is just brilliant. And kinda matches the spirit of the books where Theon is constantly being duped by Ramsey, to his own detriment and mental anguish.

This has reaffirmed my faith in season 3 somewhat!!

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I completely disagree about Daenaerys. "Bitchy" was exactly the vibe I got from her character in the books as well. I never really thought of her as particularly strong or worth my sympathy, as her whole motivation is fairly ruthless.

ADWD spoiler
You can imagine why I am not too fond of GRRM summoning ANOTHER Targaryen into the fray, this time with all the character traits that have proven to be a survival-guarantee in his books.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Monsterfurby said:
I completely disagree about Daenaerys. "Bitchy" was exactly the vibe I got from her character in the books as well. I never really thought of her as particularly strong or worth my sympathy, as her whole motivation is fairly ruthless.

ADWD spoiler
You can imagine why I am not too fond of GRRM summoning ANOTHER Targaryen into the fray, this time with all the character traits that have proven to be a survival-guarantee in his books.
Targaryen..or Blackfyre?

sindremaster

Apr 6, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Josh12345 said:
I've only watched the show so would this be safe to watch?
Sure, should be. I mean, we'll be talking about stuff that is in the book but not the show, but we don't really jump ahead too much, or anything. We don't, for example, say "Oh, such and such person's death must be happening later this season!!" We mostly just discuss the first two episodes and how they relate (or don't) to the books.
Please don't talk about the later books. I'm on the fourth right now and it says Theon is dead. I didn't really believe it, but now I know it isn't true.

Other than that love the podcast :)

sindremaster

Apr 6, 2010
jackdeesface said:
With respect if you're that worried about spoilers you probably shouldn't listen to the thronecast, at least until you've read the books.

Personally I think anything which has been published/released should be fair game for them to discuss, being overly worried about spoiling things would make the flow of conversation far too stilted.
This podcast isn't about the books, it's about the television series, which is on the third book. So I didn't expect spoilers from anything after book 3.

Like I said, I was already 99% sure he wasn't dead so it wasn't a big spoiler, I was just asking them to not talk more about the later books.

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
Hey guys, is this video down? I came back to catch up and the website is saying it's 404'd! Thanks for looking into it!

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Aaaand you guys discussed cheese, which is food: done! this podcat's authentic! It's a shame the audio quality wasn't as good as the other podcasts, I was straining to hear what you guys were saying at times. :(

It was great to hear your discuss about the series vs the books. My husband and I watch the series together, but he hasn't read the books, so I have to be super careful about what I say around him (I've already accidentally spoiled some stuff about Meera and Jojen to him).

I was just as disappointed as you guys about Sam not sending the ravens in the series. I felt it was so important that he at least get that right, and it was just so cruel to take away this tiny little success from him. We'll see how the whole thing develops though.

Another disappointment was Edmure Tully (played by Tobias Menzies, love him! He played Brutus in "Rome") failing to ignite his father's funeral barge. I just checked in the book, and he actually succeeds on the fifth arrow. Brynden Blackfish doesn't interfere like he does in the series, and that really made me feel sorry for "TV" Edmure.

Agreed about them not connecting the dots about what's going on in Winterfell. My husband kept asking what was going on with Winterfell, and I just didn't know what to tell him.

Yes! The costumes! The hair! So gorgeous!! Did you guys notice the Queen of Thorns' belt had a rose as a buckle? Just sooo well done. The care and attention to detail is downright astounding.

Definitely curious to see how this season turns out. I already love how they've portrayed Mance Rayder (and seriously, with an actor like Ciarán Hinds, who was Caesar in "Rome" how surprised can we be - incidentally, that's already two actors from "Rome", huh), and will be looking forward to future episodes and future game of thronecasts!