Escapist Podcast: Bonus: The Xbox One Reveal

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Bonus: The Xbox One Reveal

In this special bonus podcast, we discuss the reveal of the brand new Xbox One!

Watch Video

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I just want to see this become a memetic slogan for the thing:

Xbox One. Step Back. (TM)

It makes so much sense - a step back in numeric identifier, a step back in gaming functionality, and of course the infamous space requirements of the Kinect.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
What episode of kitchen nightmares was everyone talking about?

More on topic: I am so far nonplussed on all these consoles, even if one could argue that they haven't really told us anything. I guess I'll just be sticking with my PC and smartphone this generation if this persists.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh man, I loved 1 vs 100, I'm with Susan, I'd totally buy this if it came back.

Also, definitely want to see more of Quantum Break, and the other new IPs.

The Dog was fantastic as well. Even has its' own Twitter account. And yeah, it is so dead. In fact, they're probably gonna make you kill it, because you have to keep extremely quiet after 'The Enemy' know that your team are in a certain area. After you and your team (including the dog) sustain rather bad injuries - possibly from an explosion, which explains how the enemies are alerted. The dog can't keep quiet and you have to kill it.

Also, I wonder if the EA Sports engine will have the same hilarious glitches

Also, what you guys mentioned about them leaving the stuff to wow people is why I'm not writing anything off yet, unlike many other people that I have seen so far

Thuggych

Mar 5, 2011
Xbox One's announcement did not really move the needle for me...every single TV / Home entertainment feature they promoted, pretty much already exists in other forms in the living room. So what MS is basically trying to sell is Kinect functionality (which, even if it worked properly, is still awkward for most consumers) and their dashboard in lieu of SmartTV/Settop box interfaces, a Dashboard who's functionally costs $5/mo to fully use while providing nothing extra to the home experience.

Even as a sports fan...the presentation did not convince me that the Xbox 1 experience would be all that different than a PS4 version. As a football fan, Sony has a deal for NFL Sunday Ticket (rights to all games minus blackouts), MS has a deal with ESPN (rights to Monday night game only,) "Exclusive Fifa content" is vague and has almost no meaning.

That said, Depending on what the new IPs turn out to be, how they plan to distribute exclusive TV programming, and what consumer protections they decide to implement with their new installed/used game features, I could very easily turn my opinion around on the console, but for right now PS4 will be my choice when/if i decide to invest in the next generation of consoles.

PS: "it was only an hour long presentation" is not really a good excuse. They were not renting out a convention center, the presentation length and detail/information given was not restricted by any outside influences. MS said what they wanted to say, showed what they wanted to show.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Personally... I think X-Bone is the best name. I'm guessing all the articles being updated weren't covered during the release.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I have a feeling that, given the practicality, flexibility, and the control over the system, the big three aren't going to win this generation - It'll be little start-ups and small computer shops that offer deals in creating powerful affordable no-nonsense HTPCs for people, whose parts can be easily upgraded and replaced in order to keep up with increasing demands, whereas with locked consoles have to provide specs that are meant to last for the next five to ten years. And if HTPCs break down, all you have to do is drop it off at the nearest PC repair shop, compared to where you actually have to mail a broken console to the manufacturer in order to get it fixed.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
The Dog was fantastic as well. Even has its' own Twitter account. And yeah, it is so dead. In fact, they're probably gonna make you kill it, because you have to keep extremely quiet after 'The Enemy' know that your team are in a certain area. After you and your team (including the dog) sustain rather bad injuries - possibly from an explosion, which explains how the enemies are alerted. The dog can't keep quiet and you have to kill it.
Aw... Aw dude. I hope that's not the case, but in a series where you've already had do some really horrible things (Modern Warfare 2's airport scene, for example), I can totally see them making the player have to go through that.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Andy Shandy said:
Oh, dude, I bet you're right.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Andy Shandy said:
Oh, dude, I bet you're right.
Call of Duty: Old Yeller

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Still waiting on a sold line of games worth having on from either the Xbox1 or the PS4 to justify spending hundreds of dollars on. In the meantime I'll be here with my PC.
Oh by the way good job on more or less staying on topic this time guys.

EDIT:
The most interesting thing about the event for me was that they used the terms "space age tech" and "8GB of RAM" in the same conference.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
Interesting stuff, not that I really feel concerned. I want to play games, and the presentation did not cater to an audience that plays games.
Might I ask why you didn't address the issue of Installing games on the hard drive and a fee being required for used games?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater yet.. but I wasn't at all impressed, and that's coming from someone who only has a 360 (and PC) this gen. I don't want an entertainment hub. I barely watch TV as it is so full blown TV integration means nothing to me. I want a gaming console. The rest of the details like no backwards compatibility, a sometimes online requirement, anti used game measures, etc. don't reallt sway me much. That sort of stuff is just the way things are, liie it or not. I just want to play games, and they bsaically didn't show me any games.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Really guys? You honestly think that the Xbox One has a BETTER chance than the PS4?

Didn't you hear the part where Microsoft is going to CHARGE YOU AGAIN FOR USED GAMES THAT YOU ALREADY BOUGHT?

Unless Microsoft scrapes that quickly, they do not have a snowball's chance in hell against the PS4, which btw, does NOT require you to pay again for a used game.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
They totally should have called it "Xbox Three Sixty".

What I find most surprising is that I found this reveal disappointing even though I should not even care. PC Master Race, and all that.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MrCollins said:
Interesting stuff, not that I really feel concerned. I want to play games, and the presentation did not cater to an audience that plays games.
Might I ask why you didn't address the issue of Installing games on the hard drive and a fee being required for used games?
snowfi6916 said:
Really guys? You honestly think that the Xbox One has a BETTER chance than the PS4?

Didn't you hear the part where Microsoft is going to CHARGE YOU AGAIN FOR USED GAMES THAT YOU ALREADY BOUGHT?

Unless Microsoft scrapes that quickly, they do not have a snowball's chance in hell against the PS4, which btw, does NOT require you to pay again for a used game.
Did any of us say we thought it had a better chance than the PS4? I don't recall that happening.

Also, we recorded this immediately after the live event, so the information about the fee for used games (or not fee, depending on who was saying what at what moment) hadn't come out yet. That's why we didn't address that during the discussion. Same for the info about installing on the hard drive, and the having to connect to the internet once every 24 hours. We'll address those issues in the regular weekly podcast.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
MrCollins said:
snowfi6916 said:

Did any of us say we thought it had a better chance than the PS4? I don't recall that happening.

Also, we recorded this immediately after the live event, so the information about the fee for used games (or not fee, depending on who was saying what at what moment) hadn't come out yet. That's why we didn't address that during the discussion. Same for the info about installing on the hard drive, and the having to connect to the internet once every 24 hours. We'll address those issues in the regular weekly podcast.
My mistake then. I thought you guys said something about Microsoft looking better than Sony. Also I wasn't aware that the used game news hadn't come out yet.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
snowfi6916 said:
Susan Arendt said:
MrCollins said:
snowfi6916 said:

My mistake then. I thought you guys said something about Microsoft looking better than Sony. Also I wasn't aware that the used game news hadn't come out yet.
Maybe give us a bit more benefit of the doubt next time before you start yelling, eh? ;)