Escapist Podcast: Bonus: The Xbox One Reveal

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Amy's Baking Company. It must be seen to be believed, truly.
Even after seeing it, I have trouble believing it. The most well-oiled crazy train I have ever seen.

P.S-My family were huge fans of 1 vs. 100, built a whole game night around it.

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
while i don't expect this to be an actual issue i can totally see someones video game illiterate grand mother buying the xbox 360 over the xbox one, when asked to buy the new xbox as a gift, because of the implied first from the one. i myself don't like the name but ill holdoff final judgement until the gaming zeitgeist decides on a shorthand for it. the best i could come up with is X1.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
snowfi6916 said:
Susan Arendt said:
MrCollins said:
Interesting stuff, not that I really feel concerned. I want to play games, and the presentation did not cater to an audience that plays games.
Might I ask why you didn't address the issue of Installing games on the hard drive and a fee being required for used games?
snowfi6916 said:
Really guys? You honestly think that the Xbox One has a BETTER chance than the PS4?

Didn't you hear the part where Microsoft is going to CHARGE YOU AGAIN FOR USED GAMES THAT YOU ALREADY BOUGHT?

Unless Microsoft scrapes that quickly, they do not have a snowball's chance in hell against the PS4, which btw, does NOT require you to pay again for a used game.
Did any of us say we thought it had a better chance than the PS4? I don't recall that happening.

Also, we recorded this immediately after the live event, so the information about the fee for used games (or not fee, depending on who was saying what at what moment) hadn't come out yet. That's why we didn't address that during the discussion. Same for the info about installing on the hard drive, and the having to connect to the internet once every 24 hours. We'll address those issues in the regular weekly podcast.

My mistake then. I thought you guys said something about Microsoft looking better than Sony. Also I wasn't aware that the used game news hadn't come out yet.
Maybe give us a bit more benefit of the doubt next time before you start yelling, eh? ;)

Justin stated that he thought we "know" more about the Xbox One, than we know about the PS4, I think this might be where the confusion lies, When Paul said he thought they were on par, Justin said he thought the Xbox One was ahead.... You disagreed, but Justin did say that.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Did I just hear them make fun of a Star Trek Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/145553614/star-trek-renegades

Hello?

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Meh. I already have a nondescript black box that has mandatory installations and games associated with online accounts. Honestly not seeing the appeal of this generation at all. Nothing like the entertainment and tech revolution vibe we got from the last one. Beginning to think investing in a long HDMI cable for my desktop to my TV is overall the more sound investment.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
The systems are just dropping like flies this generation.

First the PS Vita, then the Wii U, now the XBOX One. Only the Nintendo 3DS has been left standing.

Looks like we're going to hear success for only two systems this generation, the Nintendo 3DS and the Sony PlayStation.
Turns out Adam Orth isn't the only person at Microsoft who loves always on. He was just the messenger.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
That was a lot of questions right there at the end, but ok.

The name does nothing for me. I know that MS is terrified that calling it the Xbox3 would make it seem less powerful than the PS4 but "One"? It is about as stupid as the Wii. Just stop putting mission statements in your name please, especially when the naming scheme has already been used by Sony (the made a remodel of the original Playstation and called it "the PSone").

Will I buy it? Right now that would be a no. While kinda neat, voice and motion control does not seem like something I need nor would use (also I have doubts about the fidelity of both of them). In fact, for me, it all comes down to exclusives. I do not think I will get both a PS4 and a Xbox One (ugh that name) so I will pick up the one with, to me, more interesting exclusives. Historically that has been the PS but lets see what MS has to offer.

And a quick question for you guys:
It seems that the best art comes from the artist fighting against restraints. This forces them to come up with more elegant and creative solutions. As Susan herself said, she just witnessed a lot of incredible creative games all trying to get the very best out of current game hardware. Do you guys think there is a danger of this creativity dying again as the restraints are lifted?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The Xbox One doesn't interest me in the least.

I don't watch enough TV or movies for this "entertainment center" ideal to pull through for me. I just want a box and a controller with which to play games.

The only thing about this announcement that's perked my ears is the supposed 15 exclusives in its first year. What was it, 8 of them are going to be new IPs? Hm, well... we'll just see how that turns out. But given that Microsoft is hellbent on making you love Kinect, and reaching to the broadest audience possible... I hold no high hopes.

I will be getting the PS4 though. Sony's earned my consumer trust (and also their exclusive IPs are the bomb-diggity).

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Honestly ATM PS4 has one big thing on XBone, how easy it is to develop for. Which says to me it will probably get a lot more support from smaller companies.

That being said I play almost entirely Indie PC games or niche Handheld titles, so I guess neither really sparks my interest.

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
snowfi6916 said:
Susan Arendt said:
MrCollins said:
Interesting stuff, not that I really feel concerned. I want to play games, and the presentation did not cater to an audience that plays games.
Might I ask why you didn't address the issue of Installing games on the hard drive and a fee being required for used games?
snowfi6916 said:
Really guys? You honestly think that the Xbox One has a BETTER chance than the PS4?

Didn't you hear the part where Microsoft is going to CHARGE YOU AGAIN FOR USED GAMES THAT YOU ALREADY BOUGHT?

Unless Microsoft scrapes that quickly, they do not have a snowball's chance in hell against the PS4, which btw, does NOT require you to pay again for a used game.
Did any of us say we thought it had a better chance than the PS4? I don't recall that happening.

Also, we recorded this immediately after the live event, so the information about the fee for used games (or not fee, depending on who was saying what at what moment) hadn't come out yet. That's why we didn't address that during the discussion. Same for the info about installing on the hard drive, and the having to connect to the internet once every 24 hours. We'll address those issues in the regular weekly podcast.
My mistake then. I thought you guys said something about Microsoft looking better than Sony. Also I wasn't aware that the used game news hadn't come out yet.
Maybe give us a bit more benefit of the doubt next time before you start yelling, eh? ;)
I was wondering why all the actual news about the XBoned wasn't included.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
What's going to happen is all will die except the dog. We'll spend the next 2 games playing as the dog as he seeks the enemy and tennis balls.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
WMDogma said:
Aw... Aw dude. I hope that's not the case, but in a series where you've already had do some really horrible things (Modern Warfare 2's airport scene, for example), I can totally see them making the player have to go through that.
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, dude, I bet you're right.
What can I say, I know my Call Of Duty.

Doesn't make me feel any less horrible for coming up with the idea though, I must say.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
I hoped to hear more game-related points touched on this podcat. I think you guys focused too much on the whole TV thing. Only a miniscule amount of people would even consider buying Xbox for their TV setup. Xbox is mainly a game console and you skipped topics like used games, compatibility, comparison to current gen PCs etc.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
EmperorZuma said:
What episode of kitchen nightmares was everyone talking about?
Amy's Baking Company. It must be seen to be believed, truly.
You are wrong. I just saw it and I still do not believe it. I can't even put in to words... oh my god.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
AJey said:
I hoped to hear more game-related points touched on this podcat. I think you guys focused too much on the whole TV thing. Only a miniscule amount of people would even consider buying Xbox for their TV setup. Xbox is mainly a game console and you skipped topics like used games, compatibility, comparison to current gen PCs etc.
But we did discuss the games they showed. They just didn't show much about games at all. As stated previously, we recorded this immediately after the presentation, before any information about used games, etc, had come out.

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
Well, it appears that they are missing their target audience by trying to reach a "broader" audience. We've seen how well that has worked for publishers as of late, making mountains of money and still claiming losses or breaking even. I think Sony might have won this one if Microsoft doesn't try to focus its next press release around...oh I don't know...

Games?

As a side note, as a person who never liked most sports games and call of duty is nothing more than an occasional party game, I am not too impressed by the showing.