Escapist Podcast: Bonus: The Xbox One Reveal

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
BayouStalker said:
Well, it appears that they are missing their target audience by trying to reach a "broader" audience. We've seen how well that has worked for publishers as of late, making mountains of money and still claiming losses or breaking even. I think Sony might have won this one if Microsoft doesn't try to focus its next press release around...oh I don't know...

Games?

As a side note, as a person who never liked most sports games and call of duty is nothing more than an occasional party game, I am not too impressed by the showing.
I'm pretty sure a broader audience IS Microsoft's target. Just saying.

Square1

Oct 12, 2010
I'm more excited for the PS4 for the moment just because exclusive titles Sony tends to have are ones I prefer over ones Microsoft has. That said, the lack of backwards compatibility is kind of a killer. There's still stuff coming out for the older systems I'm interested in and I'm not adopting new tech until they have a bigger library of games. If the PS4 had come out with PS3 (or PS2!!!) compatibility that would have been an instant purchase.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
My thoughts on the possible dog death scenarios.

Dog is unceremoniously killed by long range gun-fire.
At the very end of the game, some large explosion has knocked you unconscious, the dog arrives and wakes you up by licking your face, and is then killed by the main bad guy.
Whilst fighting the main bad guy, (think weird button mashy quick time event like MW2) you are about to lose, when the dog arrives and distracts the guy just long enough for you to recover and kill him. But the dog dies in the process.
Dog dies (and possibly alerts you to) gas attack.
Slow-mo event like in the epilogue of MW1 with the hostage. Where the dog is fighting a bad guy and you have to shoot the bad guy, hitting the dog means you fail the level.

Also I think there could be multiple points throughout the game/a single level where the dog has a chance to die but you can save him. (Again similar to I think Roycewitz from MW1 where he has a knife fight with a guy right in front of you, and you can either watch or join in.)

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
AJey said:
I hoped to hear more game-related points touched on this podcat. I think you guys focused too much on the whole TV thing. Only a miniscule amount of people would even consider buying Xbox for their TV setup. Xbox is mainly a game console and you skipped topics like used games, compatibility, comparison to current gen PCs etc.
But we did discuss the games they showed. They just didn't show much about games at all. As stated previously, we recorded this immediately after the presentation, before any information about used games, etc, had come out.
Then I apologize.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
As soon as I heard they had an announcement party, I had to search for the abridged version
http://youtu.be/KOxdMQhDMIU

My personal theory is, that it is that the dog will only get wounded, so that the main character will have to put it out of it's misery, with loads of manly tears (make it a small quick-time-event and it will be complete)

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Go watch the Wired video on the new Kinect. It's insane!
It can see in the dark, determine your weight distribution, read your face for emotion, scan for your pulse, tell if your paying attention, and can watch your joints to tell witch way each limb is facing.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/
(It's the first video, but you have to scroll down some)
It's insane.

OT:
I think the biggest thing I've seen is picture-in-picture. They've showed live TV with Skype.
If it can do games and live TV, it'll settle SO many arguments in my house.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
The game development tools are going to take a while to change for the next generation consoles. The studios are still not in the best financial place to scrap every current tool/library for an upgraded version, so it going to take a while to see huge leaps in technology from current to next gen. Both consoles have whole new architecture, developers have to relearn all new software. I agree with Susan on taking a couple years to really see exciting next gen titles.

panosbouk

Feb 28, 2011
I don't think right now, xbox and PS4 are neck to neck. (only from this presentation and not whatever came out after)

PS4 we kinda know it's capabilities, their future plan, the GPU specs with the benchmarks they run at their show, tech demos, how the cloud its gonna play its role, even the share button where many are not liking it at least we saw live upload to their fb page. We saw the functionality of the console even though we didn't see the box (But realy what the hell where they thinking?)

Xbox on the other hand, we saw it can Alt-Tab quickly, watch TV, movie but we where only told we can play games on it. We know nothing more than what it looks like. We saw functionality only on dash board lvl.

So right now PS4 has an advantage.

As pricing goes, I'm a little bit skeptical.
As boxes both machines have more or less the same specs, with PS4 better RAM and correct me if I'm wrong slightly better GPU. Xbox comes with kinect. So does the cost on GDDR5 vs DDR3 and kinect even out? I don't know but I predict that they might have similar prices.

(When i use the word better I don't want to start witch one is superior or whatever, just production cost)

19 more day and all our questions will be answered. I cannot wait.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
For my fellow Americans who want to watch the Kitchen Nightmares episode:
http://www.fox.com/kitchennightmares/full-episodes/29299267648/amy-s-baking-company

The episode on Youtube was blocked but Fox has it.

OT:

I love how there's a whole new console generation right when I have to spend a whole lot of money for school I don't have.

EDIT:
We shouldn't forget that CoD2 and Condemned were both launch titles and those are both great games and still hold up.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
To me the whole Microsoft event felt like the only reason they did it was because Sony did it, and they felt like they had to do something before E3. It just felt rushed.

The sports portion did nothing for me. I do like watching football and baseball, but I'm not totally into them because I have other interests out there that I'm super into. However, I know I'm probably in the minority in that, and I can see where there are people that would buy it for that reason other than for games.

At this point in time, I'm leaning more towards the PS4 than the Xbox One, which to me isn't a sexy name at all, but if anything it's making me curious to know what they're gonna do about their press conferences at E3. They both are gonna have to make me care about their next console, but more so from Microsoft because I never cared for the 360 since they seem to be extending what they've already done with the current one.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
The name is dumb. Apparently the reason is cos, typical of modern entertainment, its a reboot of the original Xbox.

Outside America the choice of which console to buy will probably just come down to price because we don't need all the TV features so PS4 should be cheaper because it doesn't have them. The only thing the Xbone has going for it is the exclusives. I looks like I will buy a PS4 when I can afford it then an Xbone about 4 years later when price goes down and just play all the exclusives.

Also we have heard the Xbone is not always online but has to be connected once a day. I want to know what happens if miss a day... can it just catch up and do 2 days clouding or is it just dead now?

Looking at twitter during the stream:

oh sports games, time to go make the coffee.
10 mins later
oh sports games time to go make... oh I already did that... guess I'll go for a piss.
10 mins later
oh more sports game... WTF Microsoft.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Broadening the market and appealing to the mainstream.

That used to mean horror games were shooters.

Not it means gaming devices are cable boxes...

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

====

I could be down with a Halo show if they could finagle it so Cortana is in it, but not Master Chief.
Figure it out Spielberg!

====

The Xbox 1 is the worst possible name they could have gone with because doesn't everyone remember that old joke: What happened to the Xbox 2 through 359?
They should have called it the Xbox Prime.

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
I highly, highly doubt I will buy either console. So far they sound like highly unnecessary "upgrades" and therefore an unnecessary purchase.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
That's why we didn't address that during the discussion. Same for the info about installing on the hard drive, and the having to connect to the internet once every 24 hours. We'll address those issues in the regular weekly podcast.
But you don't have a regular weekly podcast this week.

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
EmperorZuma said:
What episode of kitchen nightmares was everyone talking about?
Amy's Baking Company. It must be seen to be believed, truly.
Cheers, I had the same question as well, good to see it answered already.

Hopefully the episode is something other than the standard formula of the show: 1)Ramsy calls the place shit and basically just bashes the people who are down and struggling as it is 2) Gives them some half-assed makeover 3)The places still goes under after while, regardless of the "help".

Their record for the first 3 seasons is pretty damn impressive - only 5 out of 32 places open.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mhmh said:
Susan Arendt said:
EmperorZuma said:
What episode of kitchen nightmares was everyone talking about?
Amy's Baking Company. It must be seen to be believed, truly.
Cheers, I had the same question as well, good to see it answered already.

Hopefully the episode is something other than the standard formula of the show: 1)Ramsy calls the place shit and basically just bashes the people who are down and struggling as it is 2) Gives them some half-assed makeover 3)The places still goes under after while, regardless of the "help".

Their record for the first 3 seasons is pretty damn impressive - only 5 out of 32 places open.
Ramsay leaves. He considers them so crazy that he's just like "Newp. I'm out." and leaves before he makes a single change to the place.

Kuomon

Nov 17, 2009
I'm honestly surprised so many people are fine with the name Xbox One, a moniker that was sometimes used for the original Xbox before this announcement. How is that type of branding confusion not worse than a pee homophone?