Escapist Podcast: DRM, Piracy & PC Gaming

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Wow, didn't expect Yahtzee to be on this. More of these please (and I fail to see how he has bullshit points in every review btw).

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Kasurami said:
Ahh. This is like the relaxing, enjoyable beach massage after the messy kick in the teeth that was Jimquisition.
right-O! lets just say i rather watch this rambling than that rambling XD

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
I was hoping for a podcast from the editorial team at The Escapist Towers like Greg Tito and Susan Arendt (like the old 1UP podcasts before UGO killed it), is that in the works? ;D

drunken_munki

Nov 14, 2007
A Curious Fellow said:
Actually Yahtzee, I do depend greatly on your opinion before I buy games. I've decided to not spend several hundred dollars due critique about some games, and in turn spent money on your recommendations, the best examples being my avoidance of Dead Space and my purchase of Just Cause 2. And you know what? You've yet to be incorrect, as far as my enjoyment has been concerned. The games I opted out of, I played later at a friend's place or as a rental, and been deeply pleased that I never bothered to spend my own cash on them.

As a man of limited funds and time, I find your reviews truly invaluable. Thank you.
That's how I feel, about quite a lot of games he has reviewed. I deliberately wait. Not just because of ZP, but gaming in general has been largely dumbed down and I feel most of the time scared to spend my cash on a game. I never, EVER pre-order anymore. So many disappointments, I can't bare it anymore. Jesus Christ look at Black ops for the PC. Fucking hell someone please punch me in the face.

If I got caught out again I would have no one else to blame but myself. I can't even trust most 'serious' game review sites anymore, too much 'back patting' and other shifty goings on have alarmed me. It's funny, that 'user reviews' i.e. on meta-critic have taken such a punch in the face. Because I generally rely on users word of mouth. Think about daily life. If someone you met recommended a restaurant that they just walked out of, you may feel inclined to try it out one day. If some twit holding a sign saying 'BEST RESAUTRANT IN THE WORLD'... would you be as inclined to feel the same way?

In effect, gaming is as big as the movie industry, with massive advertising budgets and marketing that seems largely unnecessary. Look at mine craft or angry birds or blah. They didn't become popular though advertising did they? Or was it word of mouth?

Anyway, people seem to (including that other bloke in the discussion) think that Yahtzee just 'makes random shit up'. Erm, I think that is a bullshit viewpoint. You could say the same about any game reviewer. At the end of the day, ZP says what needs to be said about the quality of games. Poor ideas, crap implementation and other stupid shit that publishers shoe horn into games, or rather, prevent to be fixed. And like any source, you can choose to ignore it. Don't sit there like a pathetic jealous git, nay-saying because you think you fucking know better. If you know better, make your own fucking review.

Yeah, I know there is a time and cost budget and the game has to ship at some point. But, what I like about ZP is that it is what it is. You can decide if those features would irritate the crap out if you, or if it's no problem for your short-attention span or lack of imagination. At the end of the day, like he said himself, the ZP episodes are out well after the launch of a game.

Also, the note about ZP only being successful because it is funny. Lol. Humour adds to it, and yeah smart people have learned how to say 'fuck you' without saying fuck you. It adds a bit of flare to it.

Like when I got a letter from a Law firm who said their clients wanted to take me to court because of 'Copyright infringement for downloading the game titled: The Witcher'. LOL. Those idiots accused me of downloading that piece of shit, (mind you this was the time of the original version, not the fixed second release). I sent them a receipt of my digital purchase along with, in legal parlance, a `FUCK YOU' letter, politely stating the several steps they need to take in order to prevent me from suing them for false accusations and wasting my time.

Jackle_666

Feb 23, 2010
Yahtzee loses all his charisma when he goes live. The live series he tried out had the same problem, he just sounds like he wants to anywhere else in the world rather than behind that microphone. It just proves that he should stick to writing where he is excellent. And like I said in my Jimquisision comment, sponsor Brad Nicholson and get the Electric Hydra to come to The Escapist.

mikeyface

Jan 31, 2011
A point of clarification:

We talked for an hour and a half, thinking that was the podcast. It started out really bogged down on a topic we weren't interested in: DRM. From there, we found our groove (I feel.)

Odd that it was edited down over multiple weeks. I guess that's more content.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
It's pretty funny to hear Yahtzee speak in a non-ZP setting. I'm so used to hearing his rapid-fire schtick that when he speaks normally it sounds like he just took Valium, or they pulled him out of bed in the morning to do this show.

ps: they totally ran way off-topic
lol

Based solely on this episode, they might as well name the show after Yahtzee's blog: Ramblomatic.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Interesting and informative. I hope to see more of these - preferably something like Extra Consideration, with several big Escapist names chatting about interesting topics live.

Also: Yahtzee is not a PC gamer. I wonder how many effigies of him are being burned by betrayed PC elitists now.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:
Hmm. I think Yahtzee doesn't really mix well with other people. Best to leave him locked in a room somewhere and maybe sometimes aggravate him just enough to keep his hate alive. Failing that, Mike and Yahtzee should just let rip at each other. Gloves off and have at it. It'd clear the air and probably be entertaining as well, unlike this first episode.
I think he just doesn't mix with mikey, he did a podcast on his website with his friend gabe and it flowed really well and was incredibly funny
The only time I've heard Yahtzee speaking with other people (other than this podcast) was when he took part in an episode of Unskippable. He didn't mix well with those guys either, I felt.

Oh and there was that time when he went on holiday on ZP, and was sat in a car making awkward conversation with the camera crew. So that's three times I've heard him talking with others and all three times it was awkward.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Dexter111 said:
Isn't this guy the neverending spring of "thoughtful" one-liners such as:

"The pirate is the one that is just clearly in the wrong at all times"
"If you know people are pirating games you can't just not do anything"
"I like Pre-Order incentives and stuff like that"
"I'm curious what percentage of people actually have that experience and what percentage just jump on the bandwagon and *shit all over it*"
"That's true, that's true... but"
"You can make as many bullshit points as you want."
"I cannot imagine you've ever cost anyone a sale"

Wow... just wow... someone take his mike away... please, 70% of the ramblings on the forums are more thought through than what this guy has to say...
No wonder we get so many brown shooters if guys like him make "creative director".
I don't think the blame is all on Mike; Yahtzee was no more insightful.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Guy Jackson said:
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:
Hmm. I think Yahtzee doesn't really mix well with other people. Best to leave him locked in a room somewhere and maybe sometimes aggravate him just enough to keep his hate alive. Failing that, Mike and Yahtzee should just let rip at each other. Gloves off and have at it. It'd clear the air and probably be entertaining as well, unlike this first episode.
I think he just doesn't mix with mikey, he did a podcast on his website with his friend gabe and it flowed really well and was incredibly funny
The only time I've heard Yahtzee speaking with other people (other than this podcast) was when he took part in an episode of Unskippable. He didn't mix well with those guys either, I felt.

Oh and there was that time when he went on holiday on ZP, and was sat in a car making awkward conversation with the camera crew. So that's three times I've heard him talking with others and all three times it was awkward.
I watched both of those and I didn't think it was awkward, the unskippable was scripted so it couldn't of been awkward and the DC episode when hes in the car was just casual car banter, one of the jokes when he was pointing out that the monuments looked like cocks was arkward but I think he was acting it, the only reason it was awkward here was the fact that there was some hostility between him and mikey

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:

I watched both of those and I didn't think it was awkward, the unskippable was scripted so it couldn't of been awkward and the DC episode when hes in the car was just casual car banter, one of the jokes when he was pointing out that the monuments looked like cocks was arkward but I think he was acting it, the only reason it was awkward here was the fact that there was some hostility between him and mikey
How does being scripted stop something being awkward? Ever seen someone go out on stage and act for the very first time? It's scripted... and awkward.

But each to their own opinion. Personally I've yet to hear Yahtzee interacting with other people without sounding to me like he's completely outside of his comfort zone.

Lord_Kristof

Sep 24, 2010
Meh, a bit too much of a ramble, really. I was expecting some valid points... and I'm pretty sure the Pirate/DRM part would be a lot more interesting if Mikey actually allowed Yahtzee to speak his mind... I have the feeling he has a more lenient approach to that stuff.

On topic, I used to pirate games, a lot. Three main reasons:

a) availability - I come from Poland, and the VG market 10 years ago was really crap. 20 years ago it was non-existent, and 15 years ago it was so shit that I don't think ANYONE (not literally, but meaning like, maybe 10-15%) playing games like Quake or Starcraft in my country at that time owned an original copy. It was really a totally normal thing. My original games at that time came from newspaper editions.

b) money - yeah, believe it or not, that IS an issue when you don't have a job but DO have a hobby. It still IS an issue, but at this point I've lost interest in getting games as they come out, the market is waaaaaay better (though there has been an increase in prices, thankfully there's stuff like GOG.com and Steam), and I've got a 50+ backlog of games to play, so I don't really give a crap about getting more, even if I'd be getting them for free.

c) morality - you don't really care that much about laws and rights and whatnot when you're 15 years old and everyone around you is pirating games. Seriously, if you can borrow a pirated game from a friend or have that friend copy it for you, what's the point of getting the original thing?

I've grown out of pirating games for different reasons, but I do not think that pirates are destroying the industry. Seriously, stop making 4 hour long games for 60 dollars, reduce the prices at least a bit (I really can't afford to buy a new game the moment it comes out, sorry, it's just too freaking expensive) and stuff WILL change. It's a question of the publishers and developers meeting common demand, not witch-hunting.

Plus, if there's one thing piracy is awesome at, it's increasing recognition of stuff. It's not that much of an issue today, with digital publishing and the internet being as everyday as it is, but playing a pirated game and liking it may lead to buying the "real thing" once it's affordable. In my experience, I've done that with around 90% of the pirated titles I EVER played. Not with the ones I didn't actually like, of course.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Guy Jackson said:
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:

How does being scripted stop something being awkward? Ever seen someone go out on stage and act for the very first time? It's scripted... and awkward.

But each to their own opinion. Personally I've yet to hear Yahtzee interacting with other people without sounding to me like he's completely outside of his comfort zone.
http://soundcloud.com/yahtzee19/yahtzee-gabriel-wreck-a-big/s-KK9RQ
its quite long and a bit rough around the edges, but its funny

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Art Axiv said:
Escapist! Make a gaming radio! MAKE IT HAPPEN!
I'd help.. somehow.
That would be awesome.

Anyway my peice.

I was a bit sceptical when I saw that there was ANOTHER thing out on the escapist and was a bit like "mabye you should calm down on the new content and mabye try and put a tighter (excuse my spelling) leash on the stuff that you already have". But I thought this was brilliant, it's really interesting stuff. I am pleased, now I have another reason to look forward to Wednesdays.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:

I'm listening, and you're right, he's much more relaxed with the guy who he "pays to be his friend" lol

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Guy Jackson said:
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:
Macrobstar said:
Guy Jackson said:

I'm listening, and you're right, he's much more relaxed with the guy who he "pays to be his friend" lol
Haha, yeh gabes funnier than expected as well

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
For the next episode, a tip. Podcasts are usually at least 30 mins. Make it so!!