Escapist Podcast: DRM, Piracy & PC Gaming

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
I kinda prefer Extra Punctuation better, since they can actually take the time to formulate a well-thought out argument.

On the topic of piracy, I don't think they should be categorizing consumer and pirate as two separate entities. They are two sides of the same coin, and while there are consumers that are strictly buyers or, for some convoluted reason, strictly pirates, I'd say the vast majority are somewhere in the middle.

Finally, Borderlands: awk.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
DRM - Not a PC gamer, but needing to have my xbox connected to xbox live in order to play Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age with DLC (locking me out of saves that used the DLC) seemed like a really low blow. Paid for the DLC, quite a bit of money, should be able to use it pretty much however I want. Arcade Games don't require Live to play, why do single player game DLC packs need live to work? shitty deal IMO.

Pirates - Sticky topic as always. Publisher's can't do nothing, like Mike said, but at the same time, stomping out Pirates is a vain endeavor, or, in order to do it, you'd have to turn the internet into something horrible. Monetizing the entirety of the internet is a bad idea. Steam, Windows Live, Xbox Live, iTunes, already use the internet in malicious ways to gouge people out of money (yeah, even Steam - look at overseas costs for games, the same game should be worth the same amount of money to Valve and the publishers who utilize Steam as it is for everyone). Take that a few steps forward in order to stomp out piracy and I personally have a problem with it. Make games that pirates want to buy. Lockdown multiplayer. Form communities. Offer Free DLC to people who buy your product and reward them for loyalty.

PC Gaming - Like MovieBob and a few others have said, it's "dying" because the concept of the PC is dying. Look at the removal of wristwatches as everyone started carrying mobile phones. PCs will one day be as anachronistic as wristwatches. It's still got about a decade left before we've all accepted tablets as the superior way to compute.

Zero Punctuation - I love it, and it's never negatively affected my purchase of a game that I was intending to buy. He lampoons on everything, being an actual critic, and criticizing the game. If I let him affect my gaming purchases, I wouldn't buy anything. The fact that publishers are wary about him is as funny as republicans who think that Stephen Colbert is anything but a satirist, and a leftwing satirist at that.

On that note, I just read at the bottom of page 1 that Lisa's Top 5 was cancelled? That makes me sad as I JUST got interested in watching that show like 2 weeks ago and watched her whole back catalog. I really need to watch other shows more often and support them while I can. Not like my single voice would have saved it, but 1 > 0.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Wolcik said:
As for PC Gaming - it gets to the point where buying newer and better computer isn't really worth it unless you work on it as a graphic or something like that. PC should stay as more of a work tool, with few things to fuck around in the mean time (but we have facebook for that now) and leave games for specified medium that they made for - consoles and eventually something better ;)
Why though?

You can't deny that PC games (that are actually developed for the PC) are at the forefront of technology and often innovation due to the PC indie scene.

It doesn't really cost that much to build a gaming PC that will play things at max for a couple of years anyway (and medium for a long time after). Especially considering that most families already have the basics, a screen, speakers, keyboard, mouse.

Maybe ?500

Altorin said:
PC Gaming - Like MovieBob and a few others have said, it's "dying" because the concept of the PC is dying. Look at the removal of wristwatches as everyone started carrying mobile phones. PCs will one day be as anachronistic as wristwatches. It's still got about a decade left before we've all accepted tablets as the superior way to compute.
Where is the proof that it is dying though other than the fact that people have told you it is?

As a PC gamer I can only say that it is growing, just slower than the console market which is simply overshadowing it.

There is a lot of money to be made on PC gaming, look at Steam, Impulse, MMO's and the like. It is certainly dying at retail, but growing through digital distribution.

rickynumber24

Feb 25, 2011
I'm going to have to agree with the "awkward" comments and the "disorganized" comments... To me, it sounded like you had the two of them call each other and just recorded the phone call. (Thus, they strayed off topic and eventually got distracted for 5-10 minutes by talking about the ZP creative process.)

Also, I think that it's relevant to the DRM vs. Mall Security conversation that, as I'm sure people have already said but I didn't feel like reading all five pages this time, searching your bag on the way out of the store is like an online check at install-time. You don't have to show the store your receipt every time you put on your pants in the morning, say. (And to take it waaay too far, spoofing an authentication server *is* argubly like hiring an impostor security guard to ignore that you're taking something that hasn't been properly cleared out of the mall.)

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
very funny you say he does not affect sales because I remember reading somewhere that a game you gave a good review of jumped up in sales on steam.
and I LOVED dead space 1, like really loved it and was eagerly waiting for the sequel in like forever, but when I saw the review, I decided not to buy it. So i'm pretty sure he does have an impact on sales.

also more yahtzee speaking (writing columns is not enough) and less anyone else please :)

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
You are wrong Mike, if people are pirating your game you shouldn't do anything. Because you CANT do anything.
No matter what sophisticated DRM you will use, pirates will play this on day one. Pirates gonna pirate. You are hurting ONLY the legal buyers.

Also, more people still play c&c Renegade, then Borderlands.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
:D ..*cough* Just wanted to say that I liked the tension disarm with the communism phrase, Yahtzee.

..ps, Neumann - yes, there are more sides to the discussion other than: publishers, legitimate consumers who buy things uncritically, and pirates.

theshadowcult

Dec 1, 2009
This could be goode, but you need to make gearbox game content and ZP video content off limits. So that it doesn't get awkward and you can keep the flow going.

theshadowcult

Dec 1, 2009
Dana22 said:
You are wrong Mike, if people are pirating your game you shouldn't do anything. Because you CANT do anything.
No matter what sophisticated DRM you will use, pirates will play this on day one. Pirates gonna pirate. You are hurting ONLY the legal buyers.

That's not right. That is like saying you shouldn't lock your doors at night because burglars are going to steal your stuff anyway.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
theshadowcult said:
Dana22 said:

That's not right. That is like saying you shouldn't lock your doors at night because burglars are going to steal your stuff anyway.
Nope, its nothing like that.

theshadowcult

Dec 1, 2009
Dana22 said:
theshadowcult said:
Dana22 said:

It is exactly like that, it does not matter that piracy is technically not stealing, they are still required to protect their own product, even if it does nothing in a practical term, it is prevention enough to simply have a "Do you own this product" yes/no popup when you install the game, for moral reasons, as long as they try. I personally hate drm tactics, i believe a simple CD-Key is all that is required, and i have no problem with people pirating (digital products) if they are poor, but i still understand the developers right to try and protect their product.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
...What were you talking about again?

Aww shit, this thread again. You know what. I'll just make an small contribution here.

Piracy: Who the fuck cares? If your target audience is not paying for it, then they should be moron enough to not know how to pirate it in the first place.
DRM: Sure. Just dont over do it.
PC Gaming: Healthy. Like there was any reason to doubt that. And indie markets a rising. Because they think, they can make better shit than you do!...AAA-game developer.

Overall:
Fucking pointless war on terror, because you bitches are so easily pulled into these lil'campaigns of publishity and scamming. And "developers". When your lawyer tells you to pay him, so that he can make an example out of one pirate to give the rest of them warning. That shit is just going to piss me off! Not to mention those other thousands of people that this shit was aimed at!

Sorry about your laptop, Yahtzee.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
theshadowcult said:
Dana22 said:
theshadowcult said:
Dana22 said:

It is exactly like that, it does not matter that piracy is technically not stealing, they are still required to protect their own product, even if it does nothing in a practical term, it is prevention enough to simply have a "Do you own this product" yes/no popup when you install the game, for moral reasons, as long as they try. I personally hate drm tactics, i believe a simple CD-Key is all that is required, and i have no problem with people pirating (digital products) if they are poor, but i still understand the developers right to try and protect their product.
Nope, its still nothing like that. Since you are fond of virtual>irl comparisons, heres one for you:
DRM is like a Doorbell that requires saying certain password after ringing. If you fail to guess the password, you get shotgun blast in your face. Burglars are safe, because they can bypass the password easily, but Postmen are screwed !

And I never said they don't have a right to protect their product. Also, I lold at remark about poor people pirating.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Actually there were several games Yahtzee convinced me not to buy, most recent was Dead Space 2.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
You know what?

MovieBob style presentation of Extra Creditz topics acted by Yahtzee Ben Croshaw.

Love the concept, and I like the result, hoping to see more. Good to see they paired the fiery man in the pointy hat with a straightman to keep him in line. I like that guy in AstW, glad to see he's getting more spots to show his stuff on the Escapist.

Hell, why not mash up more? The Extra Creditz guy and Bob Chipman in the next episode, maybe Graham and Lisa Foils later on. It will be the pick and mix of gaming podcast brilliance.