Escapist Podcast: DRM, Piracy & PC Gaming

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Good start! I'm sure the next set of podcast episodes will be awesome. Please bring back Anthony Saves the World and I hope Lisa films and uploads another Top 5 soon.

Srdjan

Mar 12, 2010
Well I would appreciate no more Mikey, guy is a dick, to Yathzee's perfectly reasonable attitude towards piracy guy respondes with some ultra stiff, commercial bullshit, as if he works for MPAA, he cut Yahtzee several times in disscusion of that topic, and that kind of behevior is not good.

I would like Shamus or Graham or Paul.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Hmmm seems like this show has some potential but that doesn't stop me noticing some of the more awkward moments in this one.
Would kind of like to have Graham, Paul and/or any of the Extra Credit people in the next. (Yahtzee is a given :p)

Van Miranda

Jun 6, 2010
Srdjan said:
Well I would appreciate no more Mikey, guy is a dick, to Yathzee's perfectly reasonable attitude towards piracy guy respondes with some ultra stiff, commercial bullshit, as if he works for MPAA, he cut Yahtzee several times in disscusion of that topic, and that kind of behevior is not good.

I would like Shamus or Graham or Paul.

I'm going to have to agree with some of the statments about Mikey. I didn't get a good vibe from him. It's one thing to have your own opinion and disagree about something, but if you're not comfortable with the person you're discussing it with, it sends to be akward. I even felt that Mike was WAY too opinonated. When I say opinonated, I refer to people thinking that their opinon is the RIGHT one and everybody else that doesn't agree with it is WRONG.

Van Miranda

Jun 6, 2010
Dexter111 said:
Guy Jackson said:
Dexter111 said:
Isn't this guy the neverending spring of "thoughtful" one-liners such as:

"The pirate is the one that is just clearly in the wrong at all times"
"If you know people are pirating games you can't just not do anything"
"I like Pre-Order incentives and stuff like that"
"I'm curious what percentage of people actually have that experience and what percentage just jump on the bandwagon and *shit all over it*"
"That's true, that's true... but"
"You can make as many bullshit points as you want."
"I cannot imagine you've ever cost anyone a sale"

Wow... just wow... someone take his mike away... please, 70% of the ramblings on the forums are more thought through than what this guy has to say...
No wonder we get so many brown shooters if guys like him make "creative director".
I don't think the blame is all on Mike; Yahtzee was no more insightful.
You can pretty much, every time Yahtzee would try making a point he would come around with one of his discussion enders
e.g.
"I'm kinda with Gabe Newell on this, pirates are just ill-server customers"
"That's a very simple way to look at it, PIRATES ARE EVIL AND WRONG *implied: this is fact and not my opinion*" then Yahtzee would go "Mhhm...", "I guess", "Yeah..." etc. because there's no discussion that can emerge from that...
But then I LOVE Yahtzee's response. "Well, if you like the same thing Over And OVER again.."

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Dexter111 said:
Guy Jackson said:
Dexter111 said:
Isn't this guy the neverending spring of "thoughtful" one-liners such as:

"The pirate is the one that is just clearly in the wrong at all times"
"If you know people are pirating games you can't just not do anything"
"I like Pre-Order incentives and stuff like that"
"I'm curious what percentage of people actually have that experience and what percentage just jump on the bandwagon and *shit all over it*"
"That's true, that's true... but"
"You can make as many bullshit points as you want."
"I cannot imagine you've ever cost anyone a sale"

Wow... just wow... someone take his mike away... please, 70% of the ramblings on the forums are more thought through than what this guy has to say...
No wonder we get so many brown shooters if guys like him make "creative director".
I don't think the blame is all on Mike; Yahtzee was no more insightful.
You can pretty much, every time Yahtzee would try making a point he would come around with one of his discussion enders
e.g.
"I'm kinda with Gabe Newell on this, pirates are just ill-server customers"
"That's a very simple way to look at it, PIRATES ARE EVIL AND WRONG *implied: this is fact and not my opinion*" then Yahtzee would go "Mhhm...", "I guess", "Yeah..." etc. because there's no discussion that can emerge from that...

So it's Mike's fault that all Yahtzee had to say was "Mmhmm" and "Yeah I guess"? I think you just took fanboy to a whole new level.

Tigger1992

Jul 14, 2009
Really cool but interesting how it was half talking about the actual topics and half talking about Zero Punctuation.

Wrann

Sep 22, 2009
I liked this thought I did wish that it was longer than 14 minutes. Also I watch Anthony saves the world and quite like it.

Goenitz

Jul 22, 2008
A lot of good points in there.

Both hosts are extremely funny, keep up the good work.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I feel like I was a bit more sympathetic towards people who pirated the game before thousands of people pirated the Humble Indie Bundle. If you can't pay one penny (for charity nonetheless) for a game, you really shouldn't be playing.

atrus20

Mar 28, 2011
I don't like DRM. In fact I did a research paper on it. I was against DRM but i wasn't for piracy. Anyway, according to my research some people pirate games BECAUSE of DRM... Yeah when that happens, you know your protection sucks.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Haven't read through all the comments, but wanted to point out one minor point about an early bit.

In regard to the Aussie law allowing search of your belongings when you leave a shop. In the use, Rule #4 (or rather, the 4th Amendment to the Constitution) prevents illegal search and seizure.

No person can search your belongings without a court warrant or reasonable cause. Common example of a "reasonable cause" would be a drug dog humping your leg or whatever they do. At that point, law enforcement could take a peek inside... but just for walking out of the store, they can piss off.

On the flip side, it WOULD be perfectly legal for a company to require a search prior to entry. I.E. "I look inside your bags and you get to enter OR I don't look and you stay out" at no point is the search forced upon you

The more you know.

P.S. Yahtzee's voice just seem weird when it's not rambling on at 210 beats per minute.