Escapist Podcast - Movies and TV: 001: How Spider-Man 2 Sucks

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
001: How Spider-Man 2 Sucks

This podcast is audio only. In this premiere episode of The Escapist's new Movies and TV Podcast, Senior Editor Ross Lincoln speaks to film critics Bob Chipman and Inkoo Kang about The Amazing Spider-Man 2, that scene on Game of Thrones, and more. Major spoilers ahead!

Watch Video

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
That was cool. I hope we see more of this Podcast. It helped me better understand why I didn't like that scene in GoT.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
You had some very interesting ideas, Bob. Especially about the ending of TASM2.

My problem was that Gwen got all this last minute development just for the sake of an emotional moment. Her decision to be proactive and ignore Peter and Captain Stacy's wishes felt more like she was willing to die, not that she was stupid for it.

I do agree that none of the scandals, whether it'd be Gwen Stacy or the GoT rape were intentional; just symptoms of stupid writing and in-grained cultural backlash.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I'm not able to find this for download on iTunes, am I looking in the wrong place?

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
bdcjacko said:
I'm not able to find this for download on iTunes, am I looking in the wrong place?
I think they just used the banner from the other podcast, for I can't find it there myself.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Sanunes said:
bdcjacko said:
I think they just used the banner from the other podcast, for I can't find it there myself.
I looked there too. I didn't think I saw it there either.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
bdcjacko said:
Sanunes said:
bdcjacko said:
Due to some technical shenanigans, the iTunes page for this and the other new channel-based podcasts aren't up just yet. We hope to have them operational very soon!

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
WMDogma said:
Due to some technical shenanigans, the iTunes page for this and the other new channel-based podcasts aren't up just yet. We hope to have them operational very soon!
Thanks for the update.

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
ive never read or watched game of thrones but from your description of the rape id say that bad editing is the culprit for turning it into a rape. especially if neither the director nor the actors that it was played out that way.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Thank you so much for the spoilers, honestly, because I really was set on not watching this movie. It feels insulting the way corporate treats fans like imbeciles who can just be force fed this soulless, cheapest gruel.

Meanwhile, I'm in my house, headphones on, trying to be mousy as to not wake those who get up early in the morning, when I'm suddenly laughing out loud at Bob's description of Gwen's scene. It didn't even occurred to me that the audience might have taken it for a physical comedy thing, I just went straight to inept film-making and laughed out loud at the poor directing, just as if I was seeing the movie.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I downloaded it from the rss page. Does it really need to be a .mp4 file? I'd prefer to have it in standard .mp3.
Can you please upload it in both formats? :(

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
WMDogma said:
bdcjacko said:
Sanunes said:
bdcjacko said:
Good to know. Thanks for the update

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
My problem with the web yank....

It webbed her shirt, if it's powerful enough to snapped her spine shouldn't she fall straight down and her shirt ripped off by the web?

valipunctro

Nov 9, 2011
about
puff ball said:
ive never read or watched game of thrones but from your description of the rape id say that bad editing is the culprit for turning it into a rape. especially if neither the director nor the actors that it was played out that way.
the scene was weird but was not because of the editing.
the acting suggest rape.as inkoo said cersei doesnt want sex there,near jofreys body,she clearly says it but yes it seems like she just lets him have sex with her without to much protest after,somewhat suggesting shes in to it.
my problem with the outrage and supposed shattering of jaimes character development if he did indeed rape her is
first...jaime was never perfect and never will be,second...he resents his sister very much after rejecting him and fucking him over,manipulating him all his life and third...cersei deserves much,much worse for all the shit shes done

valipunctro

Nov 9, 2011
about
puff ball said:
the scene was weird but not because of the editing.
the acting suggest rape.as inkoo said cersei doesnt want sex there,near jofreys body,she clearly says it but yes it seems like she just lets him have sex with her without to much protest after,somewhat suggesting shes in to it.
my problem with the outrage and supposed shattering of jaimes character development if he did indeed rape her is
first...jaime was never perfect and never will be,second...he resents his sister very much after rejecting him and fucking him over,manipulating him all his life and third...cersei deserves much,much worse for all the shit shes done

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The video doesn't seem to load for me...I tried clearing the cookies and disabling no script and nothing.

Any help as to how to fix this issue? Thanks.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
WMDogma said:
A quick question since I'm curious. If a new podcast is being made for each of the 4 non-video gaming sections, will the current Escapist Podcast be turned into a Videogames podcast? Will the Escapist podcast still have their Thrones-cast if this podcast is more focused on TV? Im curious at how its all going to work. Cheers.

OT: Loving the new podcasts for more content.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I loved the cast, and am glad that you guys all have very different opinions, thought processes, and viewpoints, but there was one thing the just kept on bothering me: literally about half of this podcast was just everyone correcting themselves - tip toeing around politically correct terms and social expectations - to such an extent that I knew exactly what you didn't mean, but rarely ever understood what you did. It was even called out at one point after the group had been collectively posturing their words for about ten minutes straight (somewhere in the rape conversation) that you were worried about simply being derided as a 'social justice warrior.'

Perhaps it was because this time around both Spiderman and GoT subjects dealt so explicitly with subconscious sexism. Either way, here's hoping the next one has 50% less trying to not offend anyone and more straight talk. Looking forward to next week :)