Escapist Podcast - Movies and TV: 004: Irregardless Edition - Ant-Man, X-Men, Star Wars Overdose

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
004: Irregardless Edition - Ant-Man, X-Men, Star Wars Overdose

This podcast is audio only. In this week's edition of The Escapist's Movies and TV Podcast, Ross Lincoln joined by film critics Bob Chipman and returning guest Inkoo Kang to talk about X-Men: Days of Future Past, Edgar Wright's surprise exit from Ant-Man, the incoming super-saturation of Star Wars, some boneheaded marketing from Disney, and more. Plus, someone uses the non-word "irregardless". Obviously, major spoilers ensue.

Watch Video

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
...Ross, that story about you walking in on your parents naked was something I'd thought I'd never hear about in a Film/TV podcast. Color me surprised.

Also, good insight Bob about the 'color-coding' of American movies to overseas demographics. A very sad but informative perspective.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Irregardless is a word! It means with regard to!

J/K but if you apply the rules of English prefixes and suffixes they would cancel each other out. It's a pet peeve of mine.

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
that wasn't how Vince Vaughn died in the lost world in fact he might have survived the whole movie. so if i ruined the movie for you bob.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Flunk said:
Irregardless is a word! It means with regard to!

J/K but if you apply the rules of English prefixes and suffixes they would cancel each other out. It's a pet peeve of mine.
Haha, that was the first thing I saw as well. I assumed it was on purpose, but it still made my eye twitch for a minute.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Wow, hate to say it, but I think you're really trying too hard with the "X-Men DOFP was a terrible movie" bit. Too much introspection into what is essentially a 2 1/2 hour experience, based off a 2-issue comic story, then saying "We need to know more about their feelings and motivations!" And people complain that Peter Jackson's stretching the Hobbit movies too thin! Mystique's motivations - everyone around her has been imprisoned or murdered and then experimented on, all at the behest of one singular person. Do we need more motive than that to put a hole in someone? By 30 minutes into the podcast, I had to resist the urge to skip ahead, thinking "Ok they will change topic eventually."

The race discussion comes up every time a comic movie is released, every time. The characters were created when America was more whitewashed so producers have to make the conscious choice of whether to remain true to the comics or shoehorn racial diversity into the characters. Heimdall in Thor was played by a black actor, even though the original comic characters were Caucasian, based on a pantheon of gods that in all likelihood were all Caucasian and worshiped by a native Caucasian populace. But Idris Elba was an excellent acting choice, so no real argument there. In the F4 reboot, Johnny is going to be an adopted brother of Sue, so again, it was a thing for a while "Movie creators not sticking to source material". I've only seen Michael B. Jordan in Chronicle and he seems like a funny guy. We'll see whether he can carry Johnny's trademark banter when the movie releases. Now Magneto was of Jewish descent and had suffered through the atrocities of the holocaust. That shaped his view of the world. Charles was the atypical rich white kid from a rich white family, who can read minds. That also shaped his outlook of the world. These things are central to the characters and the way they interact with each other and those around them. So to remove those things for the sake of diversity would be alienating a large portion of the comic-reading audience The characters are just too big, too well-known and what they are is as central to their character as who they are.

Finally someone said it! Iron Man 3 is a Shane Black movie! To quote the schmoes, "It STOINKS!" I've touched on this before so would rather not elaborate again. But 2 buddies, cover fire, Christmas, not Iron Man.

Abrams will burn our eyes out of our sockets with the first use of a light saber. This is an eventuality that people will have to accept.
And FWOOOOM

It's not the size of Gadot's breasts people have problems with. It's her arms! She's supermodel thin. That may work for the Fast and Furious movies but not for comic book heroes. There's these fitness instructors showing off on Ninja Warrior this week, with their abs and biceps. This is the sort of fit we look for in our Amazons. If an actor is going to play at being Olympian, they need to look Olympian. If you can wrap your fingers around their arm with one hand, they can't carry that role and look genuine doing it.

Ergoemos

Nov 21, 2008
Don't get me wromg. I really like this podcast but... could Ross not spend every podcast on completely personal tangents like how he wants to see a kaiju movie tackle the r - squared rule or how period pieces cannot have a single divergent technology or style without ruining it all forever?

Don't get me wrong. It isn't the tangents that bother me but the awkward ten minute ramble while the other two guests sort of listen in awkward silence until they get a chance to speak and politely disagree.

Don't get me wrong. I love tangents and personal opinions. But don't make the podcast into "this is a five minute monologue of a thing that bothers Ross in movies, now discuss it, guests". The buildup isn't so much irreverent as it is simply tedious to listen to.

Don't get me wrong. I really do enjoy the show about 95% of the time. It's always informative and I will continue to listen as long as the escapist keeps it up. I think that, aside from this issue and the fact that the beginning and end music are far too loud to try to talk over, in spite of attempts to the contrary, I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks for putting up a great show this week!