Escapist Podcast - Movies and TV: 017: We Come To Bury Summer 2014, Not Praise it

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
017: We Come To Bury Summer 2014, Not Praise it

As the summer of 2014 winds down, it seems that with a couple of exceptions, it was an underwhelming and financially troubled period for the film industry. Several high profile blockbusters kind of fizzled, films that should have had guaranteed audiences flopped horrible, and ticket sales were dramatically down. And now Warner Bros. is laying off a TON of people. Bob Chipman and Ross Lincoln talk about that, about the battle between digital and traditional film being hashed out at a small Los Angeles theater, and they super turbo nerd out over whatever pops up in their heads during this look at the soon-to-be-dead summer of 2014.

Watch Video

deshadow52

Oct 25, 2010
I don't have anything of worth to add to stuff like digital vs film, but since you mentioned some Avengers 2 stuff about Vision and I have a question that's been bothering me about Avengers 2. I know that Marvel has done really well with the Marvel movieverse and I loved each of the films since The Avengers as I believe they were all great. One thing they didn't do though was set up The Avengers 2 like they did with the first one. I believe that The Avengers did so well because it didn't waste much time explaining a lot of things and that's because they never had too. the 2-3 movies before The Avengers did a great job introducing characters Like Black Widow, Hawkeye and Loki, The Tesseract and everything else I'm missing. Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy did none of those things with The Vision or Ultron. In fact Guardians of the Galaxy did more to set up Avengers 3 although that might be because they were far away from earth, but I think the point still stands. That's why i'm kinda worried about it because while i'm no expert on comic books, but it seems that Ultron and Vision are something that needs to built up to. The only alternative that I see is to have the setup to that to be in the first hour or so, but I would think that both Ultron and Vision deserve better than that.

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I'm giving to much credit to "robots gone Mad". Whatever the case it's just a thought that could be a valid concern or not.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
deshadow52 said:
I don't have anything of worth to add to stuff like digital vs film, but since you mentioned some Avengers 2 stuff about Vision and I have a question that's been bothering me about Avengers 2. I know that Marvel has done really well with the Marvel movieverse and I loved each of the films since The Avengers as I believe they were all great. One thing they didn't do though was set up The Avengers 2 like they did with the first one. I believe that The Avengers did so well because it didn't waste much time explaining a lot of things and that's because they never had too. the 2-3 movies before The Avengers did a great job introducing characters Like Black Widow, Hawkeye and Loki, The Tesseract and everything else I'm missing. Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy did none of those things with The Vision or Ultron. In fact Guardians of the Galaxy did more to set up Avengers 3 although that might be because they were far away from earth, but I think the point still stands. That's why i'm kinda worried about it because while i'm no expert on comic books, but it seems that Ultron and Vision are something that needs to built up to. The only alternative that I see is to have the setup to that to be in the first hour or so, but I would think that both Ultron and Vision deserve better than that.

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I'm giving to much credit to "robots gone Mad". Whatever the case it's just a thought that could be a valid concern or not.
They set up he fact that Ironman builds robots. They set up the fact that the avengers can assemble. And they set up in Captain America 2 that there are other AIs in the world. They have to leave something for the movie to actaully do.

deshadow52

Oct 25, 2010
bdcjacko said:
deshadow52 said:

They set up he fact that Ironman builds robots. They set up the fact that the avengers can assemble. And they set up in Captain America 2 that there are other AIs in the world. They have to leave something for the movie to actaully do.
Well there is that, but didn't it take time for Ultron to turn crazy. They are just going to introduce Ultron at the beginning and just have him turn evil at the Climax. I just thought Ultron himself needed more setup. Maybe he will just be revealed as a top secret project that will be shown in the movie, they will turn him on then something will go horribly wrong. Like Terminator 3 but a better movie.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
deshadow52 said:
Well there is that, but didn't it take time for Ultron to turn crazy. They are just going to introduce Ultron at the beginning and just have him turn evil at the Climax. I just thought Ultron himself needed more setup. Maybe he will just be revealed as a top secret project that will be shown in the movie, they will turn him on then something will go horribly wrong. Like Terminator 3 but a better movie.
I could see that taking most of the time in the movie. I mean they really don't have any other concepts they need to introduce at this point. We have magic artifacts, all sorts of super scientists, knowledge of aliens, yadda, yadda, yadda. They have the time to devote to a robot going crazy.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Also Bob, the notebook full of game plays was Waterboy, not Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison.