Escapist Podcast - Movies and TV: 026: Bob and Ross' Thanksgiving Holiday Spectacular

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
026: Bob and Ross' Thanksgiving Holiday Spectacular

If you're like us, then come Thanksgiving, there's a strong chance you'll be desperately steering your relatives away from political conversations, failing miserably at that task, and sneaking off as soon as possible to guzzle booze and watch holiday specials instead. Fortunately, if you're like us, you also have a podcast. So it is that Ross and Bob, thinking ahead to your holiday well being, have recorded a special Thanksgiving/start of the Christmas season edition of the Movies and TV podcast. They talk about the roots of Christmas, both secular and not so, they talk about the need for a holiday film that reflects the modern experience more accurately, and best of all, they try to figure out just why, at least in film, Thanksgiving is the family holiday while Christmas is all about hooking up. It's thankstastic!

You can go ahead and listen now, but we strongly recommend you pop this one into your mp3 player or other preferred listening device and save it for Thursday. After all, who better to spend an awkward family holiday with than two awkward guys who can ramble at length about George Washington's military virtues?

Watch Video

MoonWhispers

Nov 10, 2003
I've been hearing that some places are wanting to avoid the bad press of being open on Thanksgiving itself. I can't find the NPR story about it (cuz my work internet won't load the page). Though I have friends with a coffee shop (with a, shall we say, unique and special theme/clientele) who will be open on Thanksgiving, but purely because their baristas volunteered for it. I think it's because of what you said about certain people wanting to avoid the whole holiday nonsense that goes on that day (both the workers and the customers).

For years I worked in the video game industry, and I dreaded Thanksgiving and Christmas because I would always end up with about 3 weeks off (spread out over the two holidays and New Years, and only got holiday pay for three of those days), and I was not in the higher rungs of the company, so my bank account was never able to deal with the time off. I had to do a lot of Overtime leading up to it, so I could have some peace of mind during that time off. One year, the OT didn't materialize and I had to get a second job, a retail job, and it was a nightmare.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_set_around_Thanksgiving

Though, the comment about Washington reminds me of a joke.

While Benjamin Franklin was visiting Great Britain, his host attempted to offend him by hanging a picture of George Washington on the inside of the door to their privy. After Franklin relieved himself, his host asked him what he thought of the placement of the picture. To which Franklin replied, it was appropriately placed. What better way to get a Britain to soil himself than to stare down George Washington?

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I am dyslexic. I read the title of this podcast as Bob Ross, completely dropping the "and." Now I am sad this isn't about a painter with a fro.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
bdcjacko said:
I am dyslexic. I read the title of this podcast as Bob Ross, completely dropping the "and." Now I am sad this isn't about a painter with a fro.
I'll paint some happy trees for you if you like.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
RossaLincoln said:
bdcjacko said:
I'll paint some happy trees for you if you like.
Please include president Rambo in the painting.

Malconvoker

Nov 1, 2011
Just having re-listened to the podcast, I realized that I miss the old intro/extro music. I don't know if it means much to you guys but I miss the happy, bouncy tune. It made me excited for what was coming and made me smile after whatever had been said was done.