Escapist Podcast - Science and Tech: 028: Bad Movie & TV Science

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
028: Bad Movie & TV Science

In this episode of The Escapist's Science and Tech podcast, host CJ Miozzi and Escapist writers discuss recent headlines in the world of science and technology, as well as bad science in movies and TV.

Watch Video

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I have three pet peeves that I see frequently in media.

1) The time it takes to complete a task, for you see frequently in a television program that they can do a DNA test in a few minutes.

2) The big one for me since I am a computer network engineer is that I frequently see IP Addresses that are completely invalid, something that anyone who has taken a basic computer science course will know the ranges that can be used. I get that they might not want to use an IP address that is real, but just use the 10.x.x.x network. A quick wikipedia search could easily fix that.

3) Computer hacking.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, the star trek things.

It was always a planet where someone from the federation had tried to set up an ideal society based on a historical era based on the worlds current tech level. they just look like humans. that the Federation personnel have gone rogue is why they have gone there.

while indeed the time travel is always bunk, they do the slingshot around the sun at FTL so what the effect would be isn't even a little what we would expect from a relativistic slingshot (it is also a really maneuver to go faster, space probes have done it lots) also FTL is time travel by any other name.

Pretty much anything done with computers in film or TV is total bullshit, I often suspect this is party to make sure they aren't passing on ways to really do illegal things so as to cover their own arses.