Escapist Podcast - Tabletop: 002: The Next Dungeons & Dragons

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
002: The Next Dungeons & Dragons

Jon, Paul and Justin discuss the recent announcements and release scheduled for the new edition of Dungeons & Dragons.

Watch Video

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I actually thought of something else I'd love to see in the final books. Just a big hex map full of locations with a section that links to little burbs about what's there or what kind of adventure would be good to place there.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Slycne said:
I actually thought of something else I'd love to see in the final books. Just a big hex map full of locations with a section that links to little burbs about what's there or what kind of adventure would be good to place there.
You mean like this? http://www.goodman-games.com/4380preview.html

Valkyrie1981

Apr 12, 2010
What is key to any system is story. You can take the shittiest system in the world, and if you have a GM with a good story and a well developed world, you can make any game system work. As for using miniatures... It breaks you from the story its a absolutely worthless game mechanic that has caused more harm to table top gaming then anything else.

Another problem with Dungeon & Dragons is that they are trying to push their game world... Pushing a story and I feel simply creates a lazy GM... If a GM can't make their own campaign story there is some serious flaws. This might just be me, but I've never once used a "Adventure" or "Campaign" Book... I found all of the stories suck anyways.

D&D no matter the edition always has loopholes, and game lawyer players will always find them and the GM will have to make House Rules to the point you are only basing your game on D&D rules. I would like to see D&D not have "CORE RULES" But a set of different ways of playing and from those rules forming your custom system that first the GM and players can agree upon. What if you want to play in a setting that magic is rare, or the reverse where magic is super common... There needs to be far more flexibility to the game system before I can ever get back into using the D&D system.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Valkyrie1981 said:
What is key to any system is story. You can take the shittiest system in the world, and if you have a GM with a good story and a well developed world, you can make any game system work. As for using miniatures... It breaks you from the story its a absolutely worthless game mechanic that has caused more harm to table top gaming then anything else.

Another problem with Dungeon & Dragons is that they are trying to push their game world... Pushing a story and I feel simply creates a lazy GM... If a GM can't make their own campaign story there is some serious flaws. This might just be me, but I've never once used a "Adventure" or "Campaign" Book... I found all of the stories suck anyways.

D&D no matter the edition always has loopholes, and game lawyer players will always find them and the GM will have to make House Rules to the point you are only basing your game on D&D rules. I would like to see D&D not have "CORE RULES" But a set of different ways of playing and from those rules forming your custom system that first the GM and players can agree upon. What if you want to play in a setting that magic is rare, or the reverse where magic is super common... There needs to be far more flexibility to the game system before I can ever get back into using the D&D system.
Eh, Personally I wish they'd just roll back Forgotten Realms to pre 4th edition. The way they keep piling on plot developments and 'realm shattering events' that really hinder one's ability to set a campaign in what was at one time a rather decent setting. Honestly I'm 99% sure I'll be sticking to pre-4th edition FR or homebrewed settings because D&D's campaign settings are just getting far too bloated and unwieldy-so my decision to get 5th or not hinges on mechanics pretty much. So far I just haven't seen anything that sells the edition to me. certainly not for the $150 entry fee when I already have plenty of books fro mthe prior editions.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
I´m very curious to see how this hypothetical 4th edition spinoff game would end up like, unlike many others, I enjoy 4th edition and interested where it go from there.