Escapist Tech Support: General Tech Advice and Questions

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
The Grave
Country
United States
Figured we might as well have an umbrella thread here.

So, to anyone here who listens to vinyl records, what are some good recommendations for turntables? I'm looking for something at a good price with maybe some options for further upgrades, but most importantly needs a lid. My current player gets the job done, but the cheap needles and lack of top (combined with a dog and a ceiling fan that is almost always on) mean I have tons of hair buildup while playing my music.

Reactions: gorfias

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Country
Canada
Figured we might as well have an umbrella thread here.

So, to anyone here who listens to vinyl records, what are some good recommendations for turntables? I'm looking for something at a good price with maybe some options for further upgrades, but most importantly needs a lid. My current player gets the job done, but the cheap needles and lack of top (combined with a dog and a ceiling fan that is almost always on) mean I have tons of hair buildup while playing my music.
Get an mp3 player. You can fit 100 000 records in the space of one.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Get an mp3 player. You can fit 100 000 records in the space of one.
MP3 Players are really expensive nowadays. Inflation and all that :LOL:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
MP3 Players are really expensive nowadays. Inflation and all that :LOL:
If you're looking for the hardcore audiophile ones, sure. Shanling makes some really nice MP3 players of all ranges. I have the M1 myself, and when I need to use it, it does the job just fine. And they only get better from the M1, which is fairly entry level for their product range. Give em a look if you're ever in the market, I find they do a much better job than FiiO in the OS department

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
If you're looking for the hardcore audiophile ones, sure. Shanling makes some really nice MP3 players of all ranges. I have the M1 myself, and when I need to use it, it does the job just fine. And they only get better from the M1, which is fairly entry level for their product range. Give em a look if you're ever in the market, I find they do a much better job than FiiO in the OS department
I had a Cowon player awhile back (before smart phones) that played Xvid AVIs without needing to convert them, which was amazing at that time. Also, Cowon players have BBE DSP effects that really improve the sound. I now use their software player (jetAudio) on my PCs and phone.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I have 8TB HDD, and a 1TB M.2 SSD. The only problem is that I am starting to run out of storage. I may have to upgrade to a 4TB M.2 SSD. Unless PS5 allows 12-16 TB HDD. They only allow 8TB...

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Anyone know of a program that lets me add 2 audio files/streams together and allow me to cross-fade between them with a slider of some sort?
To elaborate a little... for D&D, I wanna be able to have a more calm version of a song playing normally. Once things amp up, I wanna be able to smoothly transition to the more exciting version without having to start the song over. That way I can make the calm one fade out, and have the other version fade in at the same time.
Any ideas?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Anyone know of a program that lets me add 2 audio files/streams together and allow me to cross-fade between them with a slider of some sort?
To elaborate a little... for D&D, I wanna be able to have a more calm version of a song playing normally. Once things amp up, I wanna be able to smoothly transition to the more exciting version without having to start the song over. That way I can make the calm one fade out, and have the other version fade in at the same time.
Any ideas?
Maybe Voicemeeter, it says you can do 2 sources playing on the PC. At worst, you can make a sound file where one song is the left channel and the other is the right channel and move the balance from left to right to crossfade between the 2.