Escapist took down Extra Credits page!

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Liudeius said:
I heard that the Escapist never once paid Extra Credits so EC went back to Youtube.
The couldn't pay them for a while and told them about it, and EC was fine about it. Then this shenanigans happened and Escapist eventually payed them everything they were owed. EC still left though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Drakmeire said:
Thank god, I hated that fucking series. Worse than Game Dogs. Game Dogs was just unfunny, while EC was just wrong and stuck up more often than not. I stumbled upon Jim Sterlings twitter today and he was apparently at the airport, and incredibly aggravated by a group near him who were clearly these artsy gamer types (he quoted one of them as saying "What is the essence of a game?"). I wondered briefly if these were the extra credits guys.

Jesus, I hated them. Not to take anything away from people who liked the series though, although how anyone could will probably evade me for a long time to come.
I don't understand why you're mad about people who want gaming to be a deep form of artistic expression, I believe that games as a medium can tell a story better than any other media. Do you want games to be forever stemmed in public conscious as "A frivolous plaything" or would you rather see it as a respected for of expression on par with music and film?
See, thats what im talking about. This "I am a gamer and games are really deep and lets explore our medium because we are so artistic and oohhhhh a game isnt a game without including deep philosophical meaning in its storyline" - NO. Fuck that.

And the answer to your question is, I dont give two shits. I dont give a fuck if games are viewed as a plaything or an artform. I want to have fun playing them, god damn it, and thats what matters. The only thing that I expect from the public is that they accept games. Not accept them as an art form, just accept them.

I dont see the fucking problem, as far as story and all that shit goes, jesus christ people, just pick up a fucking book. Where the fuck did this general perception come from that games are mature, deep, whatever. Its not the fucking case, its an extremely young medium that is still extremely shallow. So why the fuck does EC feel the need to portray it as something else? Nowhere will you find a discussion on books in which readers jack each other off on how deep and intellectual their preferred medium of entertainment is.

Why im so mad about it? Games are simply not what you want them to be. And I sure hope they will never become what you want them to be. You know why? Because at the end of the day, theres always this little thing that gets in the way, and its called GAMEPLAY. You know, the part in which you push buttons and stuff happens on the screen. EC fans seem to hate this particular feature and wish it away, so they can spend more time enjoying the incredible, deep and intelligent story line. And at that point I must ask again: if thats what you are looking for, why the fuck are you playing a game? Get your ass to a book store and buy yourself some Nietzsche, some Kant, some Schopenhauer, or get your ass to blockbuster and rent Stray Dogs, Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, whatever.

What you do not do is buy COD and come to these forums bitching about how shallow the whole experience was, or buy Heavy Rain, play it and say this is what games should become. Its hardly a fucking game. Its a movie which prompts you to push a button every few hours. Stop trying to make a whole medium something it isnt and never will be. If you dont like the meat and bone of games, stop playing them.

And you, random guy I replied to, dont even think about blowing me off with the typical "2 deep 4 u" response, because you asked for this.

Also, that squeeky voice is annoying as fuck. Just leave it normal, what are you, Fred? Fucks sake.

lol, one of their episodes was specifically targeted at people who thing like you, the "ohhhh games with story suck, it should just be able flying a chopper and blowing things up like in the old days" its kind of like saying that movies dont need to be about anything more then explosions, its stupid really, once you realize that, you will be able to grow as a person

Tuppe

Nov 18, 2010
Pathetic Escapist, I'm never visiting this site again(as there seems to be no remove account option). Not even Zero Punctuation.
I'm hoping that Extra Credits gains huge attention on Youtube and becomes a partner and starts receiving some money from a real corporation.

And the answer to your question is, I dont give two shits. I dont give a fuck if games are viewed as a plaything or an artform. I want to have fun playing them, god damn it, and thats what matters. The only thing that I expect from the public is that they accept games. Not accept them as an art form, just accept them.
Yes, that's you and you only, who might enjoy every game that has "great" graphics. Some people do not enjoy playing the same COD-copy over and over again that modern game industries push out on conveyer belt. There is not a single good game made in 2010-2011, excpect maybe Portal 2. They are just all COD copies.
And how you think public will magically accept them? As said in Extra Credits, games should use their potential of being something more than mass murder simulations for kids.

Where the fuck did this general perception come from that games are mature, deep, whatever. Its not the fucking case, its an extremely young medium that is still extremely shallow. So why the fuck does EC feel the need to portray it as something else?
They are talking about games' potential, not what they are now(Duke Nukem Forever).

I dont see the fucking problem, as far as story and all that shit goes, jesus christ people, just pick up a fucking book.
Books? I've read only 1 book in my life and I still agree on everything with EC. Ever played MGS? Kind of different experience than just-another-3rd-personshooter #48572.

I personally don't enjoy the games that Extra Credits usually refers to, but I do agree what they are saying. Games should and could be way more than what they are now(Kane & Lynch 2)
I hate games that don't have any character connection, and especially when they are poorly used trying to affect the player emotionally.
"NOOO!, Jooohnnn!! He can't be dead! No!"
What? The shallow character was just introduced... Do I have to act that I care now? E.g. In MGS you can feel emotions, or just skip the cutscenes.

All I care is to put more effort into games, not just rip off the same Modern Warfare again and again and again... Mention one good 2010-2011 game, expect Portal 2. There's none.

WalrusPowers

Mar 30, 2011
FUCK! My net has been down for a couple of weeks, and I thought I noticed something different when I came back. What the fuck happened and why is Extra Credits gone? Could someone please fill me in?

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Yeah. It's not even in the archives. That's about as gone as a video series gets.

Well, it must be the legalities. Either way, I hope the EC guys still have the videos for reupload. I hated the shit of this series, but, hey, some people enjoyed it and probably still rewatch old episodes.

[small]It's great comedy fodder, too. Hehehe.[/small]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*Takes a look at health bar*

Relax, folks. He won't be around for much longer.

OT: EC was suppose to have that thing that we seem to have very few of in the industry, that being a positive outlook. All the nay-sayers and doom prophets aren't worth a damn by comparison. I am so glad that they get to operate independently without the Escapist trying to perform legal jutsu on 'em. I know people miss 'em from here, but you'll go where they go, right?

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
So. you're fine that something with potential to be great just sits and stagnates in mindless grey/brown muck just because you believe that a medium should never change?
in their final episode on this site they argued the baseless idea that just because something is artsy, it's not fun. My favorite games of all time are Okami, The Zelda series, Anything by Suda 51, Shadow of the Colossus, Bioshock, Psychonauts, and the Shin Megami Tensei series. Know why? Because they were fun but also gave me an experience that was new, different, and gave a new outlook on life.
Art is fun, sure I enjoy the mindless slasher game or a pop-corn movie but what is truly great is defined by something that has not been tried before. So don't whine that gaming should stay put in a shallow empty hole because quite frankly it's bad for development, and the people who hold back progress are viewed as uncultured dullards for most of history, don't be the people who said moving pictures are worthless, or Comics could never tell a great story, or even that books are the work of satan.
I am currently taking my bachelor's degree in game design and I vow to never ever make something without deeper purpose, it's my job as an artist and a creator. The money will always come second.
EDIT: Well, I see that I wrote a rather bloated wall of text, I suppose that I am a bit of an eccentric when it comes to believe but in a nutshell...
I 'm not saying I want ALL games to be high-art, that's stupid, you can't have "High Art" without some brainless drivel. I want games to continue down their path that has been set out previously by games that weren't afraid to try something new. I like new ideas and want to see more. EC thought the same way. Anything can be art and I believe everything should become a means of artistic expression because artistic expression leads to progress. everyone say it with me, "PROGRESS IS GOOD"

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
-Paranoia Figaro-
Duuude... I'm not sure what evidence you're looking at, but I wouldn't say too quickly that it's smooth sailing from here. We don't have a Betty Ford Clinic here. You can't just come out one day and say "I'm better!". I don't think of your posts here as better. They look condescending to me, even insulting. I mean, come on. Your opening post. What motivation could you possibly have in bad-mouthing the EC crew except to irritate others? Is this the element of a good discussion to anything? Responses to those rants point to negative. I deny this as an improvement. You can hate a thing without being irritable about it. The thing I like about the health bars is that they depict how well a person handles themselves here. Seems you've taken some critical hits, but I wouldn't get a blemish out of this. I'm not even being rude.