Escapists: Why are we so different?

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
ShadowKatt said:
Toaster Hunter said:
We have standards. if people don't meet up to the standards, they are dealt with. Harshly
We are professionals. Professionals have standards. We are polite. We are efficient. And we have a plan to kill everyone we meet.
Oh ho ho, I see what you did there.

Well, there is the whole thing with curing cancer, creating lasting Mideast peace, and defying the known laws of physics, but I think what really makes us great is the fact that at least we maintain a consistent tone of inclusion, reasonability, and good discussion, as well as calling out trolls with impressive speed.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Cuy said:
LarenzoAOG said:
Cuy said:
This site is the internet equivalent of North Korea, anyone who has a slightly differing mindset gets banned instantly. I mean, there's a whole rule against disliking their content after all, which is just hilarious. But whatever, the site isn't better than any other site out there, and it's not worse either.

LarenzoAOG said:
We've got good moderators and hate trolls.
Well, the lot of you label everyone with a slightly differing opinion as a troll, so I'd say that you're hating everyone who doesn't follow the mainstream thought rather than that you hate trolls. Just sayin'.
Yeah... I don't know about you or anyone else's definition of troll, but that is not my definition of troll, and I didn't say anything about what constitutes being a troll so I'm wondering why you chose to quote me.
I merely chose someone who said that. You were on the bottom of the page so I saw your post.

Yeah, so maybe YOU don't have that faulty look on what a troll is, but the case remains, most people here DO have that. Just look at any "I didn't like X why is it so popular?" threads. I think those type of threads are horseshit and should be purged from the earth. But none the less, making one of those will get people to call you a troll. That's just one of many times that you'll be called a troll at this wonderful site.
Those threads are pretty annoying but some of them are actually full of real conversation instead of people just whining about something being popular, but I do agree its gotten to the point where the amount of threads whining about popular stuff is to high.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
D_987 said:
Are you trying to imply you don't even understand the concept of a troll now, alongside context?
The context, good sir. A small brief would, most definitely, be in place.
D_987 said:
That's really not what the thread is about, and besides, the concept that people should be actively searching for trolls in threads, rather than just respond to the persons uninformed comment, doesn't make much sense. You can't really differentiate between a good troll and a stupid forum poster - I assume many will assume it's not a troll.
This part, sir. I have no idea what made you spoke out these words. The mods have done efficacious job on this, sir.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Did the entire forum just gorge on lemons today? Because every thread I come across seems to be pretty sour.

OT: I won't say the escapist is better or different from other sites, but I will say it is my favorite forum and hosts my favorite videos and articles and that I enjoy it here.

meticadpa

Jul 8, 2010
I'm a member of a fair few forums, and this is by far the best in terms of quality of discussion/average member intelligence. Most of the forums I'm a member of are either computer forums or guitar forums.

Everyone here just seems reasonable.

And mods are much more ban-happy than on most places, which is a good thing.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Boneasse said:
That's right, I'm talking about us, the Escapists in general.

Now, whereever you go on the internet, whether it's forums, game-sites, news-sites, youtube etc. we see spammers, trolls, people with bad personalities and other negativities.

But then we come here. To the Escapist. Here we can dwell in the forums, have meaningfull conversations, reasonable discussions and talk about ourselves and our feelings without being attacked by the general populus.

Occaitionally there will be a black sheep somewhere, who will eventually be weeded out or find out that he/she does not belong on this site, but it's rare.

So I'm asking you, one escapist to another;

Why are we so different? What makes this site, better than most places in this aspect?
I think it's because of the one thing that brought most of us here: Zero Punctuation.

Zero Punctuations humor is complicated and uses a ton of analogies. Humor like that draws people who are more articulate and mentally collected. People attracted to the humor are also more well-read and grammar-savvy.

Not to say that we're superior to any other site, but many people here have the aformentioned characteristics.

Also, our mods are fucking great(which probably makes the most difference, in the end)

Sep 14, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
The lower popularity curve (relative to other sites) + more specific demographic (primarily hardcore gamers) + good moderation staff = better conversations.

Once the site becomes populated to the point where the moderation staff cannot keep up, the average quality of conversation/topics will drop. It's happened everywhere else I've been to, it will happen here.

Wherever there are concentrations of nice/decent people, they will inevitably attract assholes, because assholes prey upon decent people. Someone out there is always looking for something to ruin or conquer.
haha i was about to say this. it basically reflects real life. decent cities eventually become overcrowded by asshole/prying people and everything cycles.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
I've been to a lot a forums, and the banhammer is particularly merciless on The Escapist. This new captcha B.S. is just another step to an orderly, but unfree, police state. At least they let us say fuck.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It's because Movie Bob won't put up with this and that and this!

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
The culture is "more refined" in that the mods are stricter than most sites. People generally get the idea that you shouldn't be a jerk here.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
The moderators keep troll out as best as possible and there are so many shows and comics almost daily to keep new people interested. That is why we are so much better.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
the mods are gods!!!! anyway who would want to troll here. imagine the internet as a desert.... /b/ is like a town full of taverns a brothels but there is a lot of desolation caused by it. all around it is a wasteland you keep wandering until you find here. a beautiful oasis that saves half dead travelers injured from their journey. the people are nice and the air is fresh. their is peace and prosperity giving those who reside her joy and friendship fills every corner. now would you want to destroy this? or stay and contribute to it? the few that do seek to destroy are rare and are not tolerated quickly banished from this beautiful but strictly fair environment. /end-beautiful-vision

Sep 6, 2009
Because everybody on here is such an pseudo-elitist with no capability to think for themselves, that they all end up sharing the same view that Zero Punctuation is the best thing since sliced bread and then they go circle-jerk on the forums for exactly 6 days, 23 hours and 50 minutes until the next one.

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
Zenode said:
Personally i dont see this site being more "intelligent" in terms of the forums, just that the trolls are banned quite quickly which doesnt make it degenerate into a pool of rage.

Its the mods keeping an iron fist on the trolls, not the people that keep this place "better" than other sites
Yep I'd have to agree with all of these posts, the fact that there are active mods on every forum definitely makes a difference in the dipshit factor. I've even had my wrist slapped a couple of times & rightly so, I was being a dick ;)

I also agree that there tend to be some pretty intelligent discussions around here that actually manage to NOT devolve into mindless flame wars, but again I think that's mostly due to the mods, the ever looming shadow of THE BANHAMMER, and the fact that you really can get away with a lot more here than you could elsewhere (i.e. uncensored language) and for the most part that privilege isn't abused too much. (Insert random curse word here)