ESRB Blows the Privacy of Privacy Complainers - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
ESRB Blows the Privacy of Privacy Complainers - UPDATED

In what can only be described as a stunningly ironic twist of fate, the ESRB [http://www.esrb.org] has accidentally revealed the email addresses of nearly 1000 people who filed complaints about Blizzard's Real ID system.

We should all know by now about Real ID, Blizzard's plan to Privacy Online [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101916-Blizzard-Forums-Make-Real-Names-Mandatory] program.

Like any good, conscientious agency, the ESRB followed up on the matter once Blizzard [http://www.blizzard.com] announced its decision to put the brakes on the fiasco. It wrote an email to everyone who had contacted it regarding Real ID, informing them that the forum policy had been dropped and inviting them to "direct any further inquiries you may have regarding online privacy to our attention." And then, apparently, it clicked the "Reply All" button.

This, for the benefit of readers unfamiliar with the intricate workings of email (like, say, those of you who work at the ESRB) had the unfortunate side effect of plastering every email address being responded to - nearly 1000 in all - on every email sent out. In other words, whatever address you used to contact the ESRB has now been fired out to random people across the internet about a thousand times.

The irony is moist and delicious, although probably not nearly as hilarious to people caught up in it as it is to those of us who get to stand on the sidelines and watch it whiz by. In the ESRB's defense, this was obviously an honest mistake, committed with the best of intentions, but that doesn't change the awkwardness of the situation. If you're going to present yourself as "Privacy Certified," then you really need to be careful when you're dealing with matters of, you know... privacy.

Source: WoW.com [http://www.wow.com/2010/07/12/esrb-unintentionally-exposes-email-addresses-of-people-who-filed/]

UPDATE: The ESRB has released a statement addressing the erroneous breach of privacy. "In our effort to respond quickly to the thousands of gamers who wrote to the ESRB, we inadvertently revealed a limited number of recipients' e-mail addresses in our reply," said ESRB Director of Communications Eliot Mizrachi. "This was both unfortunate and regrettable, and for that we sincerely apologize to all those who were affected. They deserve to trust that their information will be handled with the same confidentiality, care and respect that we require of companies that display our Privacy Online seal. We take this issue seriously and are doing everything we can to ensure it does not happen again in the future."

A follow-up email has also been sent out, explaining and apologizing for the situation.

Yesterday we sent an e-mail to a number of consumers who wrote to us in recent days expressing their concern with respect to Blizzard's Real ID program. Given the large number of messages we received, we decided to respond with a mass e-mail so those who'd written us would receive our response as quickly as possible - rather than responding to each message individually, as is our usual practice.

Through an unfortunate error by one of our employees, some recipients were able to see the e-mail addresses of others who wrote on the same issue. Needless to say, it was never our intention to reveal this information and for that we are genuinely sorry. Those who write to ESRB to express their views expect and deserve to have their contact and personal information protected. In this case, we failed to do so and are doing everything we can to ensure it will not happen again in the future.

The fact that our message addressed individuals' concerns with respect to their privacy underscores how truly disappointing a mistake this was on our part. We work with companies to ensure they are handling people's private information with confidentiality, care and respect. It is only right that we set a good example and do no less ourselves.

We sincerely apologize to those who were affected by this error and appreciate their understanding.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
If I didn't know better, I'd slap a Picard facepalm here.

Don't worry though, I do :p

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Okay, I admit it I laughed IRL and I probably shouldn't have.

The only thing that could make this more epic was if they did it again while issuing apologies. >:)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...I gueass people really, REALLY didnt want it...

But what an awesome irony this is!

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Despite their emails bieng leaked, I somehow doubt anyone is on their way to murder them.....

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
The use of words expressing something other than their literal intention.

Now that is irony!

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
And the people they're replying to are people who wrote in to complain about their concerns about privacy over Real ID.

In other words, the people whose privacy they've violated are people who demonstrated a concern about having their privacy violated.

On another note, does anyone else find it odd that, out of the millions of WoW accounts, the number of people who complained to the ESRB and were apparently replied to was less than a thousand? I would've expected that number to be a lot higher. Unless this was one email out of dozens, crafted more-or-less by hand, and someone dragged this batch of recipients into the "To" field instead of the "Bcc" by accident...

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Disasters caused by absented-mindedness when sending emails are shockingly common, apparently. Everyone seems to have a story of this kind of thing happening.

Few are as deliciously ironic as this one though.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
CyberKnight said:
And the people they're replying to are people who wrote in to complain about their concerns about privacy over Real ID.

In other words, the people whose privacy they've violated are people who demonstrated a concern about having their privacy violated.

On another note, does anyone else find it odd that, out of the millions of WoW accounts, the number of people who complained to the ESRB and were apparently replied to was less than a thousand? I would've expected that number to be a lot higher. Unless this was one email out of dozens, crafted more-or-less by hand, and someone dragged this batch of recipients into the "To" field instead of the "Bcc" by accident...
To be honest the hype around this topic was utterly pathetic. Forum Real ID? Woah, CNN GO!

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
bad rider said:
Despite their emails bieng leaked, I somehow doubt anyone is on their way to murder them.....
How can you say that? It's a major security leak! These people will now be stalked, harassed, raped and murdered.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Well, the good news is all the people who reported this were the good, clean, "normal" people who didn't want creepers stalking them, so they probably won't take advantage of each other.

Surely no one opposed to RealID would have been such creepers...?

Right?