ESRB Listing Reveals Resident Evil 7 Details

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
ESRB Listing Reveals Resident Evil 7 Details

Spoiler Warning.

In a now-deleted listing on the ESRB website, a number of Resident Evil 7 details were revealed, including the name of the protagonist - Ethan.

"This is a survival-horror game in which players assume the role of Ethan, a man searching for his missing wife in a derelict mansion," the description read. "From a first-person perspective, players explore the environment and use pistols, shotguns, flamethrowers, explosives and chainsaws to kill mutant creatures. Combat is accompanied by realistic gunfire, screams of pain, and exaggerated blood-splatter effects."

The summary also included information from cutsenes, which "can depict instances of gore and intense acts of violence." Examples given were dismemberment via chainsaw, a man having his leg removed courtesy of a shovel, and a character impaled through the face with a shovel. The summary also references areas that "depict mutilated corpses with exposed organs/viscera."

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1345/1345632.png

Resident Evil 7 was revealed during Sony's E3 2016 press conference, and a playable demo was released at that time - although the content from that demo is separate from the main game. Capcom has stayed relatively quiet about the specifics of Resident Evil 7, choosing to slowly release hints to the content of the game rather than detailing it out of the gate.

Resident Evil 7 releases on PS4, Xbox One, and PC on January 24.

[gallery=6434]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I always love these mundane summaries of B-movie violence.

I can't help but read them in Eric Idle's voice.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Well, that actually gives me some hope for the game. While I want Resident Evil to be more of a horror game, I was really getting worried that it was going to just become an Outlast clone. Nothing against Outlast, of course, but they're two seperate properties and I'd prefer to keep them that way. Plus, giving more emphasis on weapons, combat, and the mansion makes me think that the game's story might have more ties to the ongoing lore than I originally thought. Consider me upgraded from "Expecting a spooky non-RE turd" to "Cautiously optimisitic."

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
You gotta be careful Capcom don't call you out for "bad journalism" and force this sinister revelation of information publicised ever so slightly earlier than they planned to be removed at once from the eyes of the not-ready-for-this public, making it seem like you were lying all along, only to announce these details a day later as if nothing ever happened. :)

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
All sounds good to me.
Now I await everyone crying, "WHAT HAPPENED TO MY RESIDENT EVIL?" Resident Evil died pretty much after 2. Recently it turned into COD, which was bizarre.
Anything which might be remotely edgy and even slightly scary is welcome. If you want a COD with zombies, there are many out there. I'm happy about the return to survival horror.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
I'm feeling a little more optimistic about this now that there's actual mention of combat. RE's gameplay was always more about managing your resources and picking your battles than just vague survival.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
I'm calling it now, and I'll link back to this in the future. I was right about Batgirl and Batman grinding out on a rooftop in The Killing Joke being a massively controversial choice after all ;)

Resident Evil 7 is gonna be the next Alien: Isolation, one of two of my favorite recent horror games (that costs money- a third would be Cry of Fear on Steam, which is free), the other one being The Evil Within.

Getting back to it, what my statement means is that there are going to be PLENTY of things to kill, but there's going to be an enemy or enemie type (like the Xenomorph's in Alien: Isolation) that you can only disable or wound for a short bit. The playable teaser hints that that enemy is gonna be a ghost chick, or a mutant monster (it's very vague- there is a ghost woman and then an actual monster lady) and this ESRB backs that up.

Also it's important to remember that Capcom wanted Resident Evil to be first person from the very beginning. They've flirted with it throughout the series, but I'm glad they're finally commiting. I honestly find horror WORKS in first person way more than third person, thanks to growing up playing Fatal Frame (the first one released when I was 15) and Alien games.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
good to hear we can still shoot something. but now im curious if it will be similar to alien isolation by having only one monster who cant be killed that easily and only a few monsters are in the way. i hope we get more infos later this year.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Li Mu said:
All sounds good to me.
Now I await everyone crying, "WHAT HAPPENED TO MY RESIDENT EVIL?" Resident Evil died pretty much after 2. Recently it turned into COD, which was bizarre.
Anything which might be remotely edgy and even slightly scary is welcome. If you want a COD with zombies, there are many out there. I'm happy about the return to survival horror.
I second this. We haven't had a real RE since the PS1. If you want to be generous, you could include the Gamecube, since it had the excellent REmake on it. I'm not fond of first person horror, but I'll absolutely take it over the abortions we had last generation.

This:

Trumps this: