ESRB Rates Crysis for 360, PS3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
ESRB Rates Crysis for 360, PS3

An unheralded ESRB rating has given credence to rumors that the original Crysis [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-Pc/dp/B000PS2XDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309794582&sr=8-1] is coming to the Xbox 360, and maybe the PlayStation 3 too.

The rumor mill started turning last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111409-Crysis-Rumored-for-Xbox-360], when the South Korean Game Rating Board posted a rating for what appeared to be an Xbox 360 version of the original Crysis, which came out for the PC back in 2007. I say "appeared to" because the Google translation was pretty awful, but while it's possible that a mangled translation of a Korean game rating could lead to confusion, it's hard to say the same about the ESRB, which has just put out a similar rating of its own.

The ESRB now lists Crysis VG247 [http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp?title=crysis] with a standard "no comment" comment.

It's not professional to be presumptuous, so let's get to it. If the wall of stony silence is an effective admission that Crysis is on the way to consoles, the obvious question, as noted in the original rumor report, is how? Back in 2007, Crytek said that current-gen consoles didn't have the sand to run the game at the level of quality the studio wanted; the safe bet at this point that the game will be powered by the CryEngine 3, which drove the recent Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002BRZ6UE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1309794582&sr=8-3] that did make it to consoles. But whether it will offer the visual splendor of the original PC release is a different question altogether and, I would think, somewhat less likely.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Now I can play it!
[small]Can not wait to see PC elitist reactions XD[/small]

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
If this is true then I have one thing to say: "HELL YES!" I played the demo on my friends gaming rig and found it awesome. I also really liked Crysis 2, so I hope this is true, because I want that game.

Apr 28, 2008
As I said before, this is a good thing. More people playing the original Crysis is good. It's a damn good game. If you thought Crysis 2 was open, your in for a treat. Crysis 2 is linear as hell compared to Crysis 1. Both in terms of gameplay and level design.

Just... stay away from the multiplayer. It really sucks.

imnotparanoid said:
I'm excited that more people get to play the game.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
They may port it to the 'new' consoles that Xbox and Playstation will offer. Make it a day one release thing.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Who really cares? Consoles are getting a port from 4 years ago, or more depending on how long it takes for them to develop it.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, if its anything like Crysis on the PC, than awesome. But I have the feeling that there is going to be some downgrading. Hope im wrong, though!

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Irridium said:
As I said before, this is a good thing. More people playing the original Crysis is good. It's a damn good game. If you thought Crysis 2 was open, your in for a treat. Crysis 2 is linear as hell compared to Crysis 1. Both in terms of gameplay and level design.

Just... stay away from the multiplayer. It really sucks.

imnotparanoid said:
I'm excited that more people get to play the game.
Sgt. Sykes said:
It could be significantly reworked. Far Cry came out for the PC and later reworked for Xbox and Wii, so there's a precedence. Or maybe the technology is now good enough to squeze more from the consoles to make the game look good (Crysis doesn't need to run at Ultra High to look good). Even Warhead wasn't such a hardware hog than the first game because the tech has matured in the meantime.

Anyways, I don't get it why the companies do the 'no comment' thing. If I were at marketing, I'd say - well guys, you've got us. Obviously you're a smart gaming site. Yeah, the game is coming out, yay!

imnotparanoid said:
I'm fine with it as far as it gets Crytek the money from you console people (heh) to they can make something better then Crysis 2 next time. And maybe it gets more appreciation for Crysis, which kinda passed under the radar undeservingly. Also, you can play a good game from time to time too. j/k
WaaghPowa said:
imnotparanoid said:
Who really cares? Consoles are getting a port from 4 years ago, or more depending on how long it takes for them to develop it.
Stop being the wrong way round dammit!!!!!
You just ruined my day, I hope your happy!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
WaaghPowa said:
imnotparanoid said:
You're welcome. I have no problem with consoles being able to play the game, but I resent the idea that I'm supposed to be upset. People like me have been playing it regularly since it's release, loved it, modded the crap out of it, and love it some more. Being upset that you can play it now is silly, since you're 4 years late to the party and wont get the same experiences we have had.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
TitanAtlas said:
Will it have the HD direct X 11 update implemented?
No, this generation of consoles only uses DX9 for the Xbox and OpenGL for the PS3, they would need to save it for next generation if they wanted DX11.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Mediocre game that looked beautiful 4 years ago but will not impress anyone anymore, when stuff like BF3 are just around the corner. Kinda pointless if you ask me.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
If it keeps the same open-ended style of gameplay, then sure I don't mind buying it again for the PS3. It's pretty obvious they'll be using Cryengine 3 for this one. If Crytek is able to squeeze in the original in a console then color me effin surprised but that's highly unlikely.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I played it on PC, it sure as hell looked pretty, but as a game it was 'meh' for me. I guess it's a good thing that crysis 2 console players will get to experience the first part of the story, but for me that game was just a benchmark tool.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
WaaghPowa said:
imnotparanoid said:
WaaghPowa said:
imnotparanoid said:
You're welcome. I have no problem with consoles being able to play the game, but I resent the idea that I'm supposed to be upset. People like me have been playing it regularly since it's release, loved it, modded the crap out of it, and love it some more. Being upset that you can play it now is silly, since you're 4 years late to the party and wont get the same experiences we have had.
yeah, its just than a few months ago we had a thread about 'should Crysis come to consoles'
The reaqctions where hilarious XD

Seems we've all grown up since then.