ESRB Reveals Possible Zelda MMO

Nov 12, 2010
mjc0961 said:
joshthor said:
will not play. the only nintendo ip that lends itself to an mmo is pokemon. gimme a pokemon mmo and i will be happy.
Why does everyone always say this? Pokémon does not need to be an MMO. Training and battling all already online, and that's the only part of the games you need other players for. Having random idiots following me around begging for rare Pokémon and other crap that random idiots do in MMOs would only serve to make the game WORSE.
because the game is basically a vacant mmo world anyway so the experience just isn't done until it gets filled with something other than me and a bunch of npcs.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
internetzealot1 said:
Braedan said:
internetzealot1 said:
Great guys, great. This is what happens when you complain about a series not changing enough.
Zelda doesn't need to change... it needs to die.

I loved some of the games, but enough is enough.
Enough good games is enough good games?
Apparently... The only other game series that has put out nearly as many titles that I still enjoy is the Total War series, and if either of those die, I will be a sad gamer indeed.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Would it be trolling or in character to follow noobs around screaming "LISTEN!", "LISTEN!"?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Why must the ESRB have to ruin everything? I mean, spoilers!
I won't judge until I've seen it. I am doubtful though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I doubt this MMO will allow players to be some Link wannabe after all you can't be the chosen one if there are a million other chosen one.

Kyp

Feb 13, 2009
Hmmmm...a Zelda MMO would probably be pretty bad.

For the 25th Anniversary they need to make all past Zelda games available od WiiWare, DSiware (and its 3ds equivalent), and they should make a special Zelda edition 3DS bundle (I would buy it despite my lack of a true desire to buy a 3DS). Oh, and releasing Skyward Sword by the end of summer would be sweet, too.

(Really, though, I just want to be able to download Wind Waker on my Wii, because I never played it.)

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
internetzealot1 said:
Braedan said:
internetzealot1 said:
Great guys, great. This is what happens when you complain about a series not changing enough.

Of course not. But I'm sure Nintendo can make a great game about finding artifacts to defeat the big bad, without bringing the same boring guy in green tights and an elf hat in every time.

Not PvP Flagged

Mar 7, 2011
Hmmm, if it is I called it, but I'll also feel bad... just read this--> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.282079-Idea-for-a-Zelda-MMORPG#11055328

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
aeroblaster said:
Why does everyone think MMO when they hear Zelda Universe? The first thing I thought of was a collection of all the games, but then realizing that would be weird for a 25th anniversary thing, I think Nintendo is finally going to tell us the timeline! :D
EXACTLY! Dear lord, when I heard the words "Zelda Universe" and "25th Anniversary" that was the first and only thing that popped into my head.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
Good god of all that is good and holy and video game...ish.

PLEASE LET THIS NOT HAPPEN.

A Zelda MMO is an atrocious idea.
This is exactly my reaction!

Seriously, I have to be Link for it to be fun. Actually I have to be Link for it to be a Zelda game. But no one is going to get to or that would be silly. Therefore, it will not really be a Zelda game. It will just be another MMO which happens to look like a Zelda game, but instead, just bastardizes the IP.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I'm not particularly a fan of the franchise, but I'm a huge fan of Link to the Past and Wind Waker. That being said, I don't feel this effecting me that much.

THAT being said, just from a gamers standpoint, how in the hell would a Zelda MMO work in the first place? Sure, the world and history are rich and deserve to be explored, but the main gameplay of the series is solving clever puzzles in various temples. How do you expand that to MMO territory?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
If they do, I predict bad things for it. I don't think MMO is the best format for a Zelda game. (Yet I'll still wind up playing it. Damn my inability to resist you Nintendo!).

Edit: This is my 5000 posts. Congratulations to me, I spend way too much time on the internet.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Why is it that suddendly everyone's going wild about something as ridiculous as a "Zelda MMO"?

It could be another compilation in the vein of Super Mario All-Stars that got released last year, hasn't anyone thought about that yet?.

*EDIT: Damn, someone already did. But my point still stands.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
ChildofGallifrey said:
I'm not particularly a fan of the franchise, but I'm a huge fan of Link to the Past and Wind Waker. That being said, I don't feel this effecting me that much.

THAT being said, just from a gamers standpoint, how in the hell would a Zelda MMO work in the first place? Sure, the world and history are rich and deserve to be explored, but the main gameplay of the series is solving clever puzzles in various temples. How do you expand that to MMO territory?
I didn't think about that. Good point! It makes me think about weapons too. MMO's are all about getting bigger and better weapons and armor, but how do you do that with Zelda and still have it be a Zelda game? One of the hallmarks of a Zelda game is the weapons. They are always the same ones. I wonder how you would resolve that for MMORPGers and still maintain the Zelda-ness of the whole thing?

Brok3n Halo

Jul 5, 2009
Oh this is silly. As several people pointed out above, it's likely the website. If it wasn't the website my first guess certainly wouldn't be a MMO. It's far more likely to be another zelda game collection simular to what they did back on the gamecube. In that case the online could refer to an online enabled version of Four Swords Adventure, which I now want more than anything.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Braedan said:
internetzealot1 said:
Braedan said:
internetzealot1 said:

Of course not. But I'm sure Nintendo can make a great game about finding artifacts to defeat the big bad, without bringing the same boring guy in green tights and an elf hat in every time.
But why get rid of a character that has so many fans? Besides, it's not the same character (except for Majora's Mask), it's a different reincarnation each time. It factors into the lore behind the triforce, and since I like Zelda lore...

For the record, I'm only counting console games.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
Good god of all that is good and holy and video game...ish.

PLEASE LET THIS NOT HAPPEN.

A Zelda MMO is an atrocious idea.
Absolutely this. They have the possibility to cash-in on something that would be awesome and great like a Pokemon MMO, and they choose The Legend of Zelda.

Story of the games doesn't allow for a nondescript random person to fight an become a hero, or great warrior, because the story is about Link, because he is the only person to save the day because he has a piece of the Tri-force.

Pokemon is perfect because the stories are nondescript by nature so the random person can be the one that becomes the great hero or master of Pokemon. If Nintendo could ever get into the PC realm properly, it would be with this, because I would want to experience the MMO on a computer so I have a line internet connection instead of that stupid Wi-fi that barely works for the game here in the US.

Zelda MMO, no.

Pokemon, yes!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
NO! Princess Zelda is MINE! The rest of you pretenders CANNOT HAVE HER!

Fantasy love interest--and jealousy--aside, how would this work? You can't have a bunch of Links running around to save one princess, and as we've seen from the video games, being a guard sucks. What if the game is a mash up of all previous Zelda titles? Timeline (or universe depending on how you feel about the games) hopping would be interesting to say the least, and I think it sounds more appealing that a MMO game.