ESRB Reveals Possible Zelda MMO

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
ESRB Reveals Possible Zelda MMO

Apparently Nintendo's got a new Zelda game in the works; it just got rated and its title makes it sound huge.

Remember how, way back in 2009, Zelda director Eiji Aonuma <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.164532-Next-Zelda-Game-Will-Be-on-Grand-Scale>explained how his next game in the series would be bigger and better than The Twilight Princess? Well, it turns out that the game may be even bigger than anyone expected. Based on the title the ESRB just revealed, it certainly sounds like the series might be expanding into MMOs.

Here's what's known, at the moment: The game is called Zelda Universe, the publisher listed with the ESRB is Nintendo, and the platform is "online." Oh, and game is rated E for Everyone.

Now, "Zelda Universe" is the name of the <a href=http://www.zelda.com/universe/?ref=http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=zelda+universe>official Zelda website. That said, the ESRB doesn't rate web content.

At the Game Developers Conference earlier this year, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata made a point of mentioning that something big was being planned to mark the 25th anniversary of Zelda, so it doesn't seem too unreasonable to assume that this game has something to do with that plan.

It seems likely that Nintendo will reveal more about the game at E3 next month, especially since there has to be an actual game to show to the ESRB to receive a rating.

Author's Note: No image has been released for this title. The graphic here is from the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time.

Source: <a href=http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp?title=zelda+universe>ESRB via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-26-what-is-zelda-universe>Eurogamer

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I'll bet it turns into something like Pokémon's dream world... I don't know how a Zelda MMO would be good anyway.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Good god of all that is good and holy and video game...ish.

PLEASE LET THIS NOT HAPPEN.

A Zelda MMO is an atrocious idea.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
will not play. the only nintendo ip that lends itself to an mmo is pokemon. gimme a pokemon mmo and i will be happy.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
joshthor said:
will not play. the only nintendo ip that lends itself to an mmo is pokemon. gimme a pokemon mmo and i will be happy.
Metroid could work... But thats a stretch.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*gasp*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This is not, and never will be a good idea. No no no no no. I never played Zelda as a kid so it's not my childhood they're raping ruining, but please NO.

Every franchise does not need an MMO attached to it, why won't people get that?

Wireframefool

Mar 20, 2011
I'm not a fan of the Zelda series, but I respect that they are a great game series. But really? It wouldn't work, at all. Period.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
I feel reluctant, upon the idea of a Zelda MMO.... i do love the game and lore, but i feel like a Online Universe based upon one of the most epic set of stories could possibly ruin all my childhood dreams...

What would it talk about? I wonder if you could be between a goron, a human, a scrub or a zora...

What kind of style would it have? More like Wind Waker, Twilight Princess or Ocarina of time?

And who had this idea aniway? Hope it never happens, even tough i love the Legend of Link lore...

Whats next? Mario Online and Metroid Universe...

EDIT: now that im thinking a Metroid Online would kinda be a better idea... to be a bounty hunter, going through the galaxy on youre costumizable spaceship, fighting baddies, in mysterious planets, some at the brink of destruction, and visiting old broken down spaceships.... Now that would kinda be funny, to do with a crew of more people...

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Not really sure how this would work. Like at all. I guess they could maybe pull it off, but I certainly wouldn't be buying it.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
Okay if this is real, then Nintendo has lost it. I mean, an MMO ? seriously ? degrading your series like that ?

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Never would've pegged Zelda as a potential MMO franchise.

Well, if this is truly what's happening, I'll be interested to see what exactly they're doing with it. Maybe I'll be able to roleplay as a Zora rockstar.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Zelda Universe is just a website hub for all games Zelda. Nintendo just chose to let the ESRB rate it since it's important to them.

joshthor said:
Exactly this, Pokemon is dieing for an MMO, just wait for 2-3 more generations and they'll just throw all the land masses together. If done right it'll be super awesome and will at least completely take over the MMO market for Japan.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Mister Benoit said:
Zelda Universe is just a website hub for all games Zelda. Nintendo just chose to let the ESRB rate it since it's important to them.
This. So few comments on any website state this, and it's ridiculous. It's sites misreporting the situation in order to get hits.

There is not a Zelda MMO, but if there is, it will not be called Zelda Universe.