ET broke the universe

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I'm sure you're all aware of ET, the classic '80s film about a boy and his alien. Furthermore, I'm sure you're all aware of Star Wars (who am I kidding, this is the internet for God's sake) and, to a further extent, Episode 1 specifically.

Seems like two different things right? Wrong. See, I was re-watching this Episode 1 (The Phantom Menace) the other night, and noticed in the background of the senate hearing three very familiar looking aliens:

Hell, they say you can even see the ship from the end of ET at one point in the background (apparently flying through Qui Gon Jinn's ears).

"So, it's a cute little easter-egg. George Lucas is simply putting in a little reference to one of his buddy Steve's old movies"...fair enough. But think about what this implies, that ET and Star Wars are essentially in the same universe (as well as one more universe...ours).

"So their and our universes are the same, it's just a movie, it doesn't matter" you might say. I wish it were that simple, instead we find that in ET, 17 years before The Phantom Menace came along, one particular scene shows Elliot, the main character of the film, playing with various Star Wars action figures (I...couldn't find a photo, but trust me).

So, in the same universe (ET and Star Wars), Star Wars is both a fictional property and a real presence. Star Wars wasn't real in Star Wars. Furthermore, if we are to believe the opening title-card to every Star Wars film that states that it all actually happened (long time ago, far away) then the UFOlogists were right and we were visited by a small brown alien who wanted to phone home back in 1982. You wanna talk conspiracy? The only way any of this could make sense is if Steven Spielberg and George Lucas were telling the truth the whole time.

I'd try to make more sense, but this shit is bananas. The only loophole i...well, this, but if you accept that as not telling the truth (essentially unravelling the theory that George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are R2-D2 and C3PO in disguise as humans, and are simply telling their tales with both ET and Star Wars being something that happened that got covered up and something that happened that noone else knew about it) it's still equally confusing. It creates a paradox of existence by way of an 80's movie alien and an entire franchise that literally cannot exist with one another.

Movies sure are wierd, huh?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Pegghead said:
Allow me to blow your mind:

That's right, Indiana Jones is also in the same universe, meaning that the God of the Hebrews/Christians real in all these movies, and therefore in charge during Star Wars (the mystical force, perhaps. Well, it beats midichlorians!), but at some point he told the Hebrews all about Darth Vader, Luke, and all their technology and knowledge. (so maybe in this universe Lucas and Spielberg are members of a secret sect akin to the templars of the grail, preserving the Holy memory of the Star Wars.)

Hmm. I can see no other explanation.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Hoplon said:
Pegghead said:
Or it's an Easter egg and means precisely fuck all?

Occam's razor suggests this is the true answer.
You know, I feel like Occam actually had a razor, but it did a terrible job at shaving.

Either way, yes. It's an easter egg that means precisely fuck all.

Sometimes, over analyzing things is fun. I do it all the time. But sometimes, it really is just silly.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I think you're reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into this. It's probably just an easter egg and doesn't mean anything.

Edit: To blatantly misquote Freud "Sometimes an (Easter Egg) is just an (Easter Egg)."

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
@people thinking he's reading way into it: this is serious shit. E.T., Indiana Jones and Star Wars SHARE the same lore?!? An astounding discovery, worthy of discussion.

And you know, this reminds me; I've always considered Counter-Strike, Half-Life (Portal), Team Fortress and Day of Defeat to be in the same universe, same planet, even. Think about how cool that would be! Granted, there are a lot of flaws with this theory, but fuck it, it's cool, and Imma think what I think, so. . .