Etrian Odyssey Untold Tells A Classic Story

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Etrian Odyssey Untold Tells A Classic Story

[youtube=tFbu_RAMf94

[B]Atlus has released a new trailer focusing on the story in the upcoming Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl which quickly demonstrates how much has changed since the first Etrian Odyssey title.[/B]

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is an upcoming Nintendo 3DS roleplaying game that serves both as a remake of the first Etrian Odyssey and also as something of a sequel to that title. The series began its life on the Nintendo DS, and as long-time fans will gather from this trailer, the increased power and storage capacity of the 3DS allows Atlus to deliver a new version of that first game which massively outstrips its predecessor. Not only will the new title offer a more comprehensive story, fleshed out by nicely animated cutscenes, but it also increases the overall scope of what players will see and do.

If it seems overly strange that I'm so surprised by all of this, you probably haven't played any of the Etrian Odyssey titles to date. While the roleplaying game genre traditionally relies very heavily on telling deep stories, the Etrian Odyssey franchise has always been more focused on the mechanics of dungeon crawling. Each entry in the series tells its own tale, and they're certainly not bad stories, but moreso than in most RPGs it's perfectly acceptable to gloss over the plot in favor of entertaining yourself by exploring the game's random dungeons, mapping out forgotten ruins or simply killing monsters until your character's important stats climb a few more notches.

Whether this increased focused on storytelling proves a boon for Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl remains to be seen, but as long as Atlus can continue to deliver the same level of massively deep exploration mechanics, long-time fans of the series should be happy. We've got our fingers crossed that all of the cutscenes and fantasy tropes featured in this trailer are merely icing on the delicious Etrian Odyssey-flavored cake we've come to expect from the publisher.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is slated to hit retail shelves on October 1.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFbu_RAMf94]

Jan 27, 2011
No. No. NOOOOOO!

Don't make me play the first one again, even if it's a massive improvement in all ways! Don't try to interest me with a deeper storyyyyyyyy!

I only just started EO3! And EO4 is already out and now there's this remake! Too much Etrian Oddysey on the table! I'll never ever EVER be able to catch up with the series! ;_;

*whimper* Why does it take me two years or more to finish each game? Why...? *fetal position*

It sucks being a huge fan of something, only to fall behind because you just can't keep up. Then again, that's kind of a selfish thing to complain about. Carry on Atlus.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I think the best part about the remake is that there's new content for veterans, but also that for the people who ultimately don't want to deal with the new story, they can simply play through the game like it was in the original. Not to mention the fact that not only does it have a killer rearrange of the soundtrack, they decided to include the FM synth soundtrack too. The first EO was sorely in need of an update and even if the story mode were to bomb, the classic mode ensures that EO fans are still going to enjoy this installment.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Whether this increased focused on storytelling proves a boon for Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl remains to be seen, but as long as Atlus can continue to deliver the same level of massively deep exploration mechanics, long-time fans of the series should be happy. We've got our fingers crossed that all of the cutscenes and fantasy tropes featured in this trailer are merely icing on the delicious Etrian Odyssey-flavored cake we've come to expect from the publisher.
I don't know if I'll ever get a 3DS to play this, but as someone with a DS who owns the original I'd say it's definitely a boon. As a counter to the common big publisher bloat you always see these days the original Etrian Odyssey could be a solid example of how to pick a target audience, know what you want to do, and build it to specification within you budget. The game picked one thing and focused on doing it really well, then sold the game based on those merits.

It wasn't a world beater by any stretch but they obviously made money as this will be the 5th title released, with each subsequent release slowly adding more elements to the gameplay. If they've grown the series to the point where they can add in some JRPG character, story, and cut scene elements on top of the original format then that can only be considered a good thing.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Shame I don't have a 3DS, I love stories that involve this type of stasis timetravel nonsense (Propably why I like Warframe's lore as much as I do).

I just like having the ancient being of legendary power actually be on the good side for once.

Anyone else know of any anime or other JRPGS that have this type of story to them?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
kajinking said:
Shame I don't have a 3DS, I love stories that involve this type of stasis timetravel nonsense (Propably why I like Warframe's lore as much as I do).

I just like having the ancient being of legendary power actually be on the good side for once.

Anyone else know of any anime or other JRPGS that have this type of story to them?
Only ones that come to mind off the top of my head are for video games Lunar 2: Eternal Blue and for anime El Hazard: The Magnificent World.