Euro Truck Simulator 2 Hits the Road With Oculus Rift

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Euro Truck Simulator 2 Hits the Road With Oculus Rift

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is taking big-riggin' across the old country to a whole new extreme with the addition of support for Oculus Rift.

The European commercial truck driving simulation genre is a crowded milieu, but today one title has raised itself head and shoulders above the rest: Euro Truck Simulator 2 [http://store.steampowered.com/app/227300/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1], which shocked gamers around the world with a bombshell announcement that it has begun beta testing support for the Oculus Rift VR headset.

SCS Software said Euro Truck Simulator 2 is using OVR libraries 0.2.4 and expects that there is a default profile which has proper IPD and that magnetic calibration was done in the configuration tool, whatever that means. More succinctly, it also noted that "a really fast GPU and CPU is recommended."

The "experimental" Oculus Rift implementation is somewhat limited at this point: OpenGL is not currently supported and only the driving mode shows the scene in 3D, while menu backgrounds remain in 2D. Head orientation is only used by the interior camera at this point, and some distortions may occur when using menus in 3D mode; furthermore, the studio said that fer sure fer sure, by golly it's clean clear to Flagtown, adding that that's a big ten-four there, Pig Pen, we definitely got the front door, good buddy.

More information about the most exciting news to come out of the European big-rigger scene in years is available on the SCS forums [http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=58686].

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Neat. If they can pull it off and optimize it for better use with the game, this combined with a good racing wheel can make for one realistic oddly fun mundane experience.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Cool. I love this game (seriously it's great). In fact I often finding myself craning my head while doing tight reverses into parking spots to get a better view before realising how stupid that is. Now it'll actually work!

I sure hope the Oculus Rift is actually good. VR glasses have been hyped up in the past and have never worked. Especially not in the consumer sector. Here's hoping technology is finally at that stage where realistic and comfortable 3D is a possibility.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Cool. I love this game (seriously it's great).
Serious question since I haven't played it and I don't really get the interest in these odd simulation games: what exactly is the appeal? Because when I think about what sort of driving simulation I'd like to play in my free time, this isn't what would typically spring to mind.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Vivi22 said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Serious question since I haven't played it and I don't really get the interest in these odd simulation games: what exactly is the appeal? Because when I think about what sort of driving simulation I'd like to play in my free time, this isn't what would typically spring to mind.
There's just something incredibly cathartic about it, just something to unwind with without fear of something exciting happening and getting you worked up again.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Vivi22 said:
thenumberthirteen said:
It's a pretty good break from the normal high action, fast paced, over-the-top setpiece games that are everywhere. It's driving. Smoothly. At reasonable speeds (unless you don't want to). It takes on this tycoon type of game where you start up your own company and see how much cash you can really make. It's almost too slow paced sometimes, but it's very calming. Sitting there with a racing wheel, or even a gamepad (keyboard if you want the most unimmersive way, but hey, whatever suits you), turning on the radio (you can put in your own music in the games files), and cruising in a nicely rendered world just feels nice. And there is a bit of challenge. You can either choose to avoid all fines, and risk being late on harder deliveries, or choose to speed to get a fast delivery bonus. Plus, have you ever tried to park a rig? It can be quite the task, especially if you're already almost late.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Oh, joy. Woo ho.
<youtube=enSYlCEz5VI>
Maybe it will be better than that OTHER trucking game I played recently...
<youtube=7f3HDsgLV68>

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
If they don't make Optimus Prime a downloadable skin, that will be the king of missed opportunities.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Vivi22 said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Like others have said it can be quite cathartic, but like driving in real life you do have to pay attention to what you're doing as a bad crash can cost you tens of thousands in repair bills and ruin your company.

There's a quite extensive demo you can try out on stem if you're interested. It's not for everyone, but if you want a driving game that isn't all about fast sports cars street racing, but rather something more grounded then it's very good for what it is.

Personally I love the experience. I plug in my driving wheel and pedals, put on my Trucker cap, I load up my truck with cargo, a Volvo FH16 (which you can upgrade and customise with money from jobs), put on the in game radio (it's internet radio so there are loads of real life stations from all over Europe to listen to), and cruise the roads of Europe.

I hope that sort of explains the appeal. Again I'd suggest the demo to get a feel for it.