European Atlas fans, I got good news and bad news

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Good news, they found a publisher for their games.

Bad news: It's Deep Silver.

https://www.destructoid.com/deep-silver-enters-publishing-agreement-with-atlus-in-europe-373434.phtml

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
It's better than nothing.

(Okay, that may be slightly too mean. Deep Silver did a good job with Catherine, and this news pretty much confirms the release of three games. That's good.)

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Does this mean that we'll get Apocalypse sooner than a year after it launches in North America? Or will Atlus USA's general hatred for Europe and everyone who lives there once again cause us to wait ages for a digital only release?

And what's wrong with Deep Silver? I've heard of them in passing but I'm confused as to why them publishing Atlus games is a problem.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Fractral said:
Does this mean that we'll get Apocalypse sooner than a year after it launches in North America? Or will Atlus USA's general hatred for Europe and everyone who lives there once again cause us to wait ages for a digital only release?

And what's wrong with Deep Silver? I've heard of them in passing but I'm confused as to why them publishing Atlus games is a problem.
They published Ride to Hell: Retribution.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Time to cry like an anime fan on prom night.

As confused as I am as to why SEGA can't publish them here themselves, I am glad that we're getting them, and hopefully in a timely fashion.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
09philj said:
Fractral said:

They published Ride to Hell: Retribution.
They also published the X series, Saints Row IV, Catherine and Metro: Last Light. So its hardly like they've only got failures on their books.

Anyway, this could be good, could be bad. Better than nothing I guess.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
You say that as though Deep Silver aren't a decent publisher that takes on projects others would consider too risky or not worth the time.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Fractral said:
Well, them publishing Atlus games shouldn't really be a problem. Most of the poor reception they have is just due to the fact that they often publish rather lackluster games (to put it mildly), though as has also been pointed out they were supposedly largely responsible for the recent "make the bad guys cry like an anime fan on prom night" joke in the Mighty No. 9 trailer, as well as the Dead Island disembodied chest statuette.

Since Atlus games are generally proven to not be trash, though, I'm not really sure what Deep Silver could do to ruin them. They did manage to publish Saints Row IV and the Metro series.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
What difference is it going to make?

The game's the game and has already been made, is it the publisher that does the actual localisation? Are the European versions going to be much different from the American versions? (genuinely asking, I don't know how all this works)

Because as long as I get Person 5 I'm going to be happy and other games are a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

NPC009

Aug 23, 2010
Bobular said:

The game's the game and has already been made, is it the publisher that does the actual localisation? Are the European versions going to be much different from the American versions? (genuinely asking, I don't know how all this works)

Because as long as I get Person 5 I'm going to be happy and other games are a bonus as far as I'm concerned.
They'll probably just use Atlu's English localisation, but they may add more language options. I have no idea what the quality of those could be.

Then there's stuff like special editions and marketing. Deep Silver has shown some questionable tastes on that front.

We also don't know how quick Deep Silver will be. NISA released Atlus games very fast whenever they had the chance. Deep Silver might chose a different strategy; give Atlus titles a lower priority than other games in their catalogue. We also have no idea how well Atlus will cooperate with them.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bobular said:

Apparently you have to translate for a few languages or at least that's the excuse Capcom did for the first AAI.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
RaikuFA said:
Bobular said:

Apparently you have to translate for a few languages or at least that's the excuse Capcom did for the first AAI.
If you're an English speaker, you just get the US translation 99.9% of the time though. So there's really no downside in the UK, at least. There might be a cringey marketing campaign, maybe special editions with questionable extras but the games themselves will be the same games that Atlus already made and translated.

I've no idea how common those two problems actually are for Deep Silver, anyway.

I am very excited. I had resigned to importing Persona 5 and maybe never playing SMT 4: Apocalypse.

NPC009

Aug 23, 2010
MC1980 said:
RaikuFA said:
Bobular said:

Noone has to translate shit, they literally release games here with no extra localisation whatsoever. Games do sell better in France or Germany if they are translated. 99% of the time they aren't. They don't even change the verbiage for a more British form, it's usually just plain old American English. Absolutely nothing is mandated.
IIRC there is a law that mandates videogame packaging and manuals need to be available in French in order for the game to be allowed to be sold in the French part of Canada, but yeah, that's not relevant to Europe or Deep Silver.

The reason some companies say they have to translate a game to German, French etc before releasing it in Europe is because of their own quality standards and/or profit goals, and those can be rather questionable. Some (often large) companies have one way of doing things and if a square game doesn't fit in the round hole, they'll drop it. Meanwhile, smaller companies can't afford to invest in multiple localisations and are usually happy with smaller profits at lower risks.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
MC1980 said:
RaikuFA said:
Bobular said:

Noone has to translate shit, they literally release games here with no extra localisation whatsoever. Games do sell better in France or Germany if they are translated. 99% of the time they aren't. They don't even change the verbiage for a more British form, it's usually just plain old American English. Absolutely nothing is mandated.
So Capcom lied? Not surprised.