European Parliament Calls For An End To Videogame Sexism

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Malygris post=7.70668.699317 said:
I don't know if the videogame industry is any better in its treatment of women than any other form of entertainment, but I sure as hell do know it's no worse. Centering it out for attention like this is absolutely unjustified.
Exactly my point. Practically all other forms of entertainment are sexist, yet its video games that gets out in the spotlight. How about you deal with the problem at large instead of picking on video games, huh?

PS: I'm not trying to say that video games aren't sexist, but that its bullshit that they say only video games portray women in a sexist manner.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Ok, so what people are saying is that both genders are portrayed poorly in videogames. News this ain't.

Crap. I just said ain't.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Just one more reason why we can't take Europe too seriously. Articles like this make me wave a flag and shout God Bless America, where video games are only in the news for as much time as it takes some airheaded teen celebrity to get knocked up and take all the soccer moms' minds off Grand Theft Auto and put them to worrying about whether they should be dressing their teen daughters like nuns.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.70668.700872 said:
Japan won't like this.
They'll feel bad for about two minutes, then get over it. I wouldn't worry too much.

Although they seem to be getting a lot of mixed messeages from the West.

Mistah Kurtz

Jul 6, 2008
sniper9474 post=7.70668.699258 said:
To Put It Simply, They Might Aswell Try To Remove My Balls, As Its Just Wont Happen, As If Its Teaching The Wrong Lesson At An Age Where It Is Easy To Learn, they Could Just Hike Up Security On Selling Games To Underage Kids, As All Games With Sexism Are Usually A 15 Or Above.
What the hell does your mom put in your cereal every morning?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
j-e-f-f-e-r-s post=7.70668.699608 said:
Woah, let's not jump the shark here. She's a good character, but I wouldn't go so far as to call her one of the best examples of non-sexist portrayal in modern culture. While she has depth and all, she's still for all intents and purposes a male fantasy stereotype- a seductive, sexy femme fatale with a penchant for guns. Compared to other videogame characters, she could be a Germaine Greer creation, true, but she's no Ellen Ripley.
All this time and I never knew you were a chick.

Here's a heads-up: Max is a male fantasy stereotype too. A different kind of stereotype, sure, but the net result is the same thing. Max is vengeance, Max is justice, Max is the unbending blade of payback we all wish we could (and never will) be. Maybe we don't want to get in his pants, but we sure wish we could wear them. (Except for the whole butchered family/empty existence/descent into the abyss thing, I suppose.) If you want to argue that Mona isn't as well fleshed-out as Ripley - and I would disagree on that point, but let's not get into that - then I might be willing to roll with it except that we are, after all, talking about games. My point about Mona standing out in any medium isn't that she was as deep as characters in books or movies, but that she very clearly operates on the same level as Max or any other male, with no conditions attached.
I have to disagree here. True, videogames aren't really any worse than the trash that Hollywood keeps shovelling out in regards to sexism, but that isn't the problem. The problem is that while Hollywood has also created dozens of iconic pro-feminism characters, most gamers would struggle to think of 10 strong female characters out of thousands of games.
The first motion picture was made 120 years ago. Movies with sound have been around for over 80 years. In a direct apples-to-apples comparison, which is what you appear to be making, I would certainly hope that Hollywood has cranked out a few more identifiable strong female characters than the game industry. But on balance, don't you think the game industry is ahead? Which of course has as much to do with shifting societal attitudes as anything else, but I'd be quite happy to put our record against theirs.

And why do we need to "prove the EU's fears unfounded" anyway? If the EU parliament had any serious interest in addressing sexist roles in the media, it would address those mediums where it really is a problem. Did they say anything about maybe asking hip-hop types to tone down the whole "bitches and hoes" thing or whatever it is they're on about these days? No. This was a scattershot drive-by at the expense of the videogame industry, and I really don't think we need to dignify it with anything more than a yawn and perhaps an extended finger. (You can pick which one.)

Also, you forgot Cate Archer in your list. I'm very disappointed in you.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
j-e-f-f-e-r-s post=7.70668.699923 said:
Last I saw, Master Chief wasn't getting force fed cake by scurrisome little grunts.
That's not really a fair comparison. Master Chief is an actual character in the game you control while the princess in Fat Princess is simply a gameplay device.

A more suitable comparison would be..say..the VIP you have to rescue in a gametype of Team Fortress Classic. He also must have been a truly sexist stereotype of all men being helpless and needing to be rescued/lead around.

Ronmarru

Aug 17, 2008
Call me crazy, but wouldn't changing the way females act in games in fact be sexist since you're changing the way a person acts based soley on gender? Anyway, I'm suprised the politicians couldn't find anything more sexist than games. As pointed out, the games with some sexism is for older players while just about every commercial blatently symbolizes that this product will get you laid TONIGHT.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Skyweir post=7.70668.705013 said:
Just because other entertainment venues are sometimes blatant sexist does not exempt games from criticism. The "everyone else is doing it" defence went out of style in pre-school.
I don't think that anyone's saying that, just because other types of entertainment (movies) are doing it, video games should be allowed.

People are pissed are that this not only singles out gaming, but says that the issue needs to be addressed because "Children learn by imitation and mimic what they have just experienced," the document said, adding that the presence of sexist messages in games "accentuates the perception that a person's gender dictates what is possible". In essence, they still think that all video games are still for little children.