European Wiis Won't Be Backwards Compatible Much Longer

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
vansau said:
what if they are secretly WIIU systems and nintendo is going to announce that if you have the cheap wii you only need a software update and a controller to make your system a wiiU. probably not likely at all, but it would be awesome if it was.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
coolkirb said:
I dont understand the rage, the Wii has litterally maybe a year and a half left in its life span, Gamecube games cant really be bought at anything besides private used game stores as even gamestop doesnt carry many of them anymore, and if you dont have a wii now you probably dont have a gamecub, if they can get the price down to under a hundred I can see this being a smart move for the holydays, honestly anyone complaining is just being stupid.
In my mind this just muddies the water. The Wii is at the end of it's lifecycle, for a few extra sales Nintendo is going to create an entirely new model.

I can't explain it but it seems so silly, like selling N64's without the ability to upgrade the memory. Anyone buying a used N64 would now have to check to see which model it is and that's if they even know that there are two different models.

Just sayin...it muddies the water. It probably doesn't bother most people but it bothers me.

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Then you could save $12 plus shipping and play it on your Wii. Not to mention having both a Wii and a Gamecube hooked up at the same time is wasting slots on your TV.
But if the new econmyWii is more than 12 bucks cheaper, it's still a win :)

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
This would be fine if they were keeping a regular version of the Wii, and a value version, no?

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
At this point in the console's lifespan, I'm OK with this decision. Most Gamecube games, at least the ones I interest in, have been ported to the Wii, and there are a bunch of Wii games already on the market. It's not like Sony did, where they pulled the plug in a week or too. So, cheaper=better in my book.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
JimbobDa3rd said:
Im guessig that most gamers interested in keeping their large collection of gamecube games will have already have upgraded a long time ago but at the same time (being no hardware expert) making a console backwards compatable cant cost that much that removing it will noteable decreace the price can it?
Well, you have to have all the relevant hardware (except the graphic tech, that is shared) to make the game work. I assume their is going to be a lot more free space in this Wii.

Jaser

Mar 30, 2010
Well, I haven't used my Wii for a Wii game since Monster Hunter Tri, so I can't see how this is all that great of an idea. Then again, anyone who would USE the BC already has a Wii.

lionday

Jun 21, 2011
yeah its just what it is. They want to squeeze the last drops of money out of the wii before its wii u central.
And puttingit vertical well thats just smart. I can't tell you how many times i've knocked over the wii. Well thats was when we where playing Game cube games. so.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
WolfLordAndy said:
Will GC controllers still work? As I use them whereever possible with Wii games, they just work better for Mario kart, SMash Bros, etc...

Not that I greatly care, having a Wii already and all. (And not touching it in at least a year...)
Ermm... no. There will be nowhere to plug them in. That's the point.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
May my Wii never break down, well ok I still got my Gamecube but I don't want to spend ages looking for it. Even if it does break down I probably use this chance to get a differen console.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
I literally do not know a single person that did not use their PS2's to play PS1 games as well. BC is important, and it saddens me when people spew nonsense about how "nobody cares about it".

I care, and so do a shitload of other people.
I'm with you on this one.

I am almost 75% sure that Nintendo's reasoning for removing backwards compatibility with the Wii is so that they can cash in on it.

I still think it's ridiculous. -_-

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Well that's just stupid. Without the GC controllers Wii games are practically unplayable, and I play more GC games on my Wii than Wii titles.
Still, who doesn't have a Wii by now?

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
it's on new Wiis, that's a relief. thought an update coming up would prevent them from being able to play them. got a Wii so it's all good. i probably actually spend more time playing Cube games than Wii games

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Not to be outdone in the bad system development ideas, Microsoft has just announced a new slimmer Xbox360 that will be without USB ports, a disk tray or video output.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
The current Wii can already be lost between a pair of couch cushions!
What could possibly be achieved by making it smaller AND less appealing to consumers?

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Nile McMorrow said:
Question. Why do they need to release another Wii when they are meant to be developing the WiiU which is meant to be on par with a Xbox 360 and PS3 (Though the WiiU seems kinda pointless)? End Question.
To milk what little bit of money they can from the system. Maybe sales in Europe have slumped and they want that last little boost before the Wii U launches.

OT: Ay company removing features that are generally attractive for people to purchase their product is plan fucking retarded anyways.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Wii Lite: because I really like Super Smash Bros.....Brawl, but I hate having the use of my fingers.