Evangelion and Bleach Manga Coming to an End

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Evangelion and Bleach Manga Coming to an End

Long-running manga, Bleach and Neon Genesis Evangelion are finally winding up.

While it seems the anime series is doomed to be dug-up and remade every half-decade, the next volume of the long-running Neon Genesis Evangelion manga adaptation will be its last, according to publisher Kodokawa.

Created by Yoshiuki Sadamoto, the Evangelion manga began back in 1995, and was originally released to promote the TV series of the same name. It quickly diverged from the plot of the anime and went on to be a huge success, despite its molasses-slow release schedule - only 12 volumes of the manga have been released in the past 17 years.

This week also marks the beginning of the end for the crazy-popular and seemingly omnipresent shonen manga Bleach. Shonen Jump has announced that the manga is entering its final story arc. Of course, Bleach's story arcs can last for years, so don't expect the series to go away any time soon.

While I have a soft spot for Bleach - the anime adaptation is the televisual equivalent of heroin, I've sat through entire seasons in a slack-jawed stupor - I do hope that once Tite Kubo has finished rolling around in the vast piles of money he's made, he'll return to his unfinished earlier work. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombiepowder]

So, we have one manga that's ending nearly a decade after the series it was based on, and another that will end decades before the anime based on it. There's a pleasing kind of symmetry to that.

Source: Japanator [http://www.japanator.com/sadamoto-finally-putting-an-end-to-evangelion-manga-21973.phtml]

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Yay, someone else who knows about zombie powder. I couldn't agree with you more although I do find that the anime does drag when it gets into some of the fillers.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh no, the end of Bleach?!? My old flat mate Malik might actually have to go out and do something!?!?

Although, I wonder if it gets a happy ending...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Bleach is coming to an end? Hot damn I didn't think that would ever end!

Kinda makes me sad though, and I kept forgetting that the manga for Evangelion was still going as I was more familiar with the Anime.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I read somewhere that the Mangaka of Bleach wanted to make it last for another 10 years which I surely hoped this final arc doesn't last that long!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
My only real concern is just what might take up the popularity vacumn left in Bleach's wake.

The only other good Shonen series i can think of, and will still be around when they go, is Beezlebub.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
OuendanCyrus said:
Bleach has entered its final arc, but knowing Kubo, it's gonna last at least two years.
Ya... my thoughts exactly, or they will make a new Bleach, and have more adventures... It's not like they've already done close to that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Well there go another two of the "never ending" animes...hopefully all similar series will go the way of the dinosaurs as well. I mean you can only have so many "OMG WTF THIS VILLAIN IS THE MOST POWERFUL GUY EVAR!!!" only to say the same thing about the next villain in line, and so on.

Inuyasha was a crap series, but at least it had the same villain the whole time and he just kept getting away...kinda reminded me of Shredder from the original Ninja Turtles cartoon. Every episode he pops up to commit some random act of villainy that would ensure Crang's victory in some vague, ambiguous way...only to be defeated by the turtles and try again next time.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I can't believe Bleach is still going in the first place. The story arcs have always been way too long.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
And maybe when the Bleach anime finally ends because of the manga's end, they'll make another Bleach anime that only follows the manga and only focuses on the characters we actually give a shit about.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Oh dear god, I remember reading the only books of Zombie Powder. I'd be on that like a crack addict on... well, regular powder.

It is nice that these things are drawing to a close (although I had no idea Evangelion was even still running). To bastardize a quote, "You either die a hero or live long enough to become utter trash".

Whether its soon enough is anyone's guess, but hey. That's how it goes.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
It's weird... but I'm kinda glad Bleach is coming to a close. Don't get me wrong, I did like Bleach... until it became too long with overpowered villains who won't JUST FREAKING DIE ALREADY!

Ahem.

Not sure about the Evangelion manga, though, seeing as I never read it...

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Huh. Bleach is actually ending. That's... weird.

I liked Bleach at the beginning, but then it became monotonous. Not just because of the overpowered villains; apparently, no one in that universe knows the definition of the word 'ultimate,' because they kept using it for every single freaking upgrade to their power beyond two. It got old.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Neon Genesis Evangelion Manga kept going on and on? I stopped reading them after like the third or fourth book.

The main character never got a break or happy day, when you thought he'd get one it just got worse.

So no, I'm not gonna keep reading it if you keep screwing over the main character so damn much.

As for Bleach, I'm fine with the series and I actually like it. I am though amazed how no one seems to bring up anything about the length of One Piece. It had 200 more chapters over Bleach.
All though I wish One piece could on for a lot longer. Just love that manga.

Beelzebub and Toriko are also quite fun to read.

Deskimus Prime

Jan 26, 2011
"Tags: I mustn't run away"

Heh. Hehe. Nice.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
That's sad and all (I've heard good things abotu the Evangelion anime) but seriously Gainax, when are you going to get round to releasing part 3 of Rebuild of Evangelion? I'm fricking dying over here!
Q (part 3) is coming out in Japan in 2013. So...here in 2020.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Hehe, silly people...Bleach Ended after
Aizen was defeated and Ichigo lost his powers.

Although some weird fanfiction came out about a group of kids with powers, some Aizen wannabe as a badguy..something about ichigo having to get his powers back and...

Never really was invested too deeply in Evangelion so i don't think

If there's one Manga i wanna see an ending too above all, it's berserk. Seriously Miura, how much longer is it gonna take? I realize you subscribe to the 'when i feel like it' school of publishing but jeeze..

Still, here's hoping the movie series eventually comes out over here...soon