EVE Online Boss Apologizes For Everything

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Enkidu88 said:
As someone who doesn't play EVE or really keep up with news about MMOs...what happened? Obviously something bad happened, the article touches on a few issues but those don't seem big enough for a huge apology like this.

So seriously, what did he do? My schadenfreude is itching to find out.
It's complex and some of the reasons date several years back. Players had been discontent at the lack of development for a while. CCP had explained that this lack of development was caused by work on the Incarna expansion that would implement typical 3D MMO avatars. This would be a huge and expensive move for the game. When people saw the underwhelming result, which at the time seemed to be just an excuse for a microtransaction shop with almost no other functionality, they felt cheated.

Several other events happened at the same time that made people doubt the competence of CCP and the future of EvE. Many felt they were about to get milked for cash while the game would be dumped in favor of other titles.

A lack of confidence and some very poor communication escalated to in-game protests on a huge scale:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/25/eve-online-controversy-erupts-in-protests/

Massively has several articles describing the events. This one sums up a lot of it:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/26/eve-evolved-the-day-that-eve-online-died/

Femaref

May 4, 2008
Enkidu88 said:
As someone who doesn't play EVE or really keep up with news about MMOs...what happened? Obviously something bad happened, the article touches on a few issues but those don't seem big enough for a huge apology like this.

Massive shitstorm mostly. CCP got out of touch with their community, thought they could do as they please, and faceplanted into the next millenium. Talking about 1/5 of the total accounts canceled. People didn't regain trust yet, might change with the next expansion.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Wow, that's a great apology. Now let's reduce the prices of the clothing by a factor of 20.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
EA Could take a an entire fucking tree out of this guys book and apologise for nearly all the studios they've destroyed and all they ballsed up decisions about 10 dollar project and the likes.. but alas i am le dreaming

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Femaref said:
Enkidu88 said:

Massive shitstorm mostly. CCP got out of touch with their community, thought they could do as they please, and faceplanted into the next millenium. Talking about 1/5 of the total accounts canceled. People didn't regain trust yet, might change with the next expansion.
This explains a lot. I haven't played Eve Online for about 6 months before out of the blue deciding to check it out again today. Immediately I thought that it seemed that the number of online players seemed to have dropped dramatically, but I couldn't be sure as I wasn't really paying attention to that number earlier anyways.

Earlier today it was about 22,000 players and right now there is about 25,000 players. I could have sworn that number used to be much higher and judging by what you stated it seems I was right.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
It's by no means dangering the game however. I guess it is mostly alt chars (I myself still have 2 active accounts due to the 6 month recurring plan, but stopped paying for 3 other accounts), so no real harm done, probably cost a whole load of money though. Adding the fact that CCP had to repay a huge loan recently (talking millions here), it probably was a combined effort to show them that they really fucked it up. I think the player count still reaches 60k in the prime time, but CCP ought to have felt it. If they manage to keep this course, they will regain the trust of the playerbase and I hope the game will profit from that. Nearing my 7th year of playing the game and gaining a lot of it (got into programming and my current job due to it), it has a special place in my heart.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
I used to play Eve, going back as far as beta. Stopped perhaps about a year ago after finally having lost every last shred of faith I had in CCP.

This gives me some small amount of hope that perhaps CCP will get back on track. The words being said are the right ones that people have been wanting to hear for a long time... about 3 years in my case (took a heck of a long time for me to quit).

We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

TurkeyXIII

Nov 9, 2009
Only apologising for the last few months of development? When I read the thread title, I assumed he'd be apologising for ever releasing the game at all.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
Everytime a CCP/EVE article comes out, I have this extremely terrifying urge to return to playing it. After 7, or is it 8 year? I finally got out last year and vowed no more MMOs.

Still, I might check out the next expansion.......

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
... yet he still claims the virtual goods is a good thing.

The Captians Quarters isnt a bad thing, its just that it is demanding on tech and slows down the whole entering and exiting of stations, most players just want to pop in a station and buy and/or pick up stuff.
It would of been better if you entered the station normally and could elect to go to your quarters, rather than have that as the new in station interface.

The virtual goods issue is just a pathetic attempt to milk the customer base, there is no escuse for that. In a game which is justly famous for its in game player driven economy, adding other items that need special currency that can only be obtained via real cash is just plain stupid ( I dont count PLEX as that can be bought with ISK, and its relatively cheap plus doesnt give the player any advantage in a fight ).

Sorry but it sounds like mere damage control while they try slip in the bad stuff in the back door, ie sorry but we are still going to do what annoys you but not in such a obvious manner, we will just be sneaky about it instead.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
ASnogarD said:
... yet he still claims the virtual goods is a good thing.

The Captians Quarters isnt a bad thing, its just that it is demanding on tech and slows down the whole entering and exiting of stations, most players just want to pop in a station and buy and/or pick up stuff.
It would of been better if you entered the station normally and could elect to go to your quarters, rather than have that as the new in station interface.

The virtual goods issue is just a pathetic attempt to milk the customer base, there is no escuse for that. In a game which is justly famous for its in game player driven economy, adding other items that need special currency that can only be obtained via real cash is just plain stupid ( I dont count PLEX as that can be bought with ISK, and its relatively cheap plus doesnt give the player any advantage in a fight ).

Sorry but it sounds like mere damage control while they try slip in the bad stuff in the back door, ie sorry but we are still going to do what annoys you but not in such a obvious manner, we will just be sneaky about it instead.
While i dont think its totaly on the line the last few weeks has been a major turn around with the current blog updates and SiSi, I do agree with the Virtual goods concept and have for years(would have killed for custom paint jobs years ago) Its one of the most logical avenues they could go for excess funding And as long as it remains as a cosmetic/advanced payment options im fine with it being in the game. One could argue that PLEX is infact already 'gold items' to a degree, and ive seen it happen with Vets abusing it, so you really should count it also.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Hes in dire panic because Eve's userbase is actually taking some major hits from his attitude of late. From my position I can only say that its about 4.. maybe 5 years too late.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I've never played EVE and probably never will, but this is the first time I've considered it. More CEOs should do this. Of course, the real way of doing it is Iwata style and cutting your own pay in the process, that way we know you're really sorry!